Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Digital clock goes backwards

nightmare123

So last night, I woke up from a nightmare and so I was calming myself down before checking for the time. My digital clock showed that the time was 4.27am. A minute later, I looked up to see that it was 4.26am. Thinking that I might have misread the time the first time round, I decided to just keep an eye on the clock and then it went to 4.25am before it jumped back to 4.30am. Does this backwards thing have any significance or is it just some mechanical issue with the clock.

I understand that if you place the batteries backwards in a digital clock, the clock would go backwards or so the internet says. But I've checked it and everything is in place correctly. I just felt creeped out that it went backwards for that 3 minutes, especially after I had a horrible lucid dream about demons.

I've experienced a misreading of digital clock numbers before, but it had involved a small number readout, and blurry eyes upon awakening.

Are the numbers on your clock large and easily visible, or on the small side? Is the brightness of the numbers high or low? How far is the clock away from you?

Waking up from a dream like you mentioned would probably mean your eyes were at least a bit blurry...

I'm just trying to think of reasons why you may have misread the numbers, because for them to be going backwards is highly unlikely.

Btw, welcome to the forum! :)

• Like 1

I've experienced a misreading of digital clock numbers before, but it had involved a small number readout, and blurry eyes upon awakening.

Are the numbers on your clock large and easily visible, or on the small side? Is the brightness of the numbers high or low? How far is the clock away from you?

Waking up from a dream like you mentioned would probably mean your eyes were at least a bit blurry...

I'm just trying to think of reasons why you may have misread the numbers, because for them to be going backwards is highly unlikely.

Btw, welcome to the forum! :)

Hi, thanks for the welcome.

I had switched on the lights, paced around the room before checking the time. My digital clock was set a few minutes slower than the actual time and I just didn't bother to set it right. So while it was happening before my eyes, I was also checking my mobile in disbelief. Of course, there could possibly be a rational and very scientific explanation for the clock to go backwards, maybe it is malfunctioning and I am just reading too much into it but thanks for the reply :)

Clock kaputt.

• Like 2

No digital clock will work if you reverse the batteries.

• Like 7

No clock either digital or analogue, would work with batteries reversed. I am not sure, what some people been talking about that on the internet, but I find it totally incorrect.

Appears to be that your digital clock may have malfunctioned, and it's not reliable.

• Like 4

I understand that if you place the batteries backwards in a digital clock, the clock would go backwards or so the internet says.

The internet says that? well I will take a wild guess and say you did not read that in science.howstuffworks.com.

• Like 1

I think you weren't fully awake. Bit of lucid dreaming perhaps.

• Like 1

Nightmare123, I hope you do not mind me asking, but are you in your child or teenage years? I only ask as I think we need to be a bit concerned about what our children are reading on the internet today....it makes for a worrying future if they are not corrected quickly before falling into the

"I read it on the net, so it must be true and no one is going to tell me otherwise"

I hope you have read the posts on here and come to the conclusion that you need a new clock or try plugging your one into the mains.

• Like 1

I wonder how many people reading his comment will put the batteries backwards?

• Like 1

The internet says that? well I will take a wild guess and say you did not read that in science.howstuffworks.com.

I put my car battery in backwards once. I could only drive around town in reverse for an entire week before I figured it out. :whistle:

• Like 3

I put my car battery in backwards once. I could only drive around town in reverse for an entire week before I figured it out. :whistle:

You need to get one of these:

e72d9b7b49c346d4fa7350315a3c540a.jpg

• Like 2

i have put the batteries incorrectly in my wall clock and it didn't go backwards.

And just for the record, I can't think of too many ways a digital clock, no matter what the design, could possibly go backwards. I guess it's possible that some might use some sort of a reverse setting ability to enable easier setting of time / alarms if you overshoot the time, but even so.. Suddenly jump from one time to another, yep, be missing a few segments of a digital figure display, yep.. but go backwards randomly? I doubt it. Oh, and unless it's a higher than normal voltage battery (eg 6v or more), putting one in backwards briefly is likely to do no harm, and as stated, certainly won't make it go backwards.

Set up your laptop or a webcam staring at it, and if you see it on the wrong time, spend hours poring back over the footage to find it... Otherwise, I think you wuz dreaming. There's nothing shameful about lucid dreaming - I've had a few of them over the years, and they are *exactly* like real memories... (except that I don't have a pilots license, so one of them just can't be right unless I stole that plane..)

• Like 1

You need to get one of these:

e72d9b7b49c346d4fa7350315a3c540a.jpg

That thing looks like someone passed gas in one of those little 'smart cars'. :P

• Like 1

That thing looks like someone passed gas in one of those little 'smart cars'. :P

they very likely did.

• Like 1