Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Google Chrome topples Internet Explorer

Still Waters

Google's Chrome web browser has finally replaced Microsoft's Internet Explorer as the world's most popular web browser according to statistics, ending the software's 18-year reign.

Though several analytics firms have previously named Chrome as the market leader, April was the first time they all agreed Microsoft had lost top spot, as statistics firm Netmarketshare reported Chrome had reached 41.7% of desktop daily browser users, narrowing beating Internet Explorer which dropped to 41.3%.

https://uk.news.yaho...0807.html?nhp=1

• Like 2

i didn't even know internet explorer was still a thing anymore.

• Like 1

I use Firefox here at work and Opera at home. I've used Chrome in the past, but it's not my fave.

Can't say I'm puzzled or surprised. I had IE on here, until one day it decided to stop working, and I haven't bothered reinstalling it or whatever and I've always used Giggle Chrome since.

I thought IE died out (in terms of popularity) years ago. I guess there is always the not so computer savvy that use what ever is given to them.

• Like 1

THe 'industry' sees it as Windows User = IE Browser ... Its been that way since Netscape folded ... now Android , Linux Users are cutting and eating into those numbers ~

Only times I use IE is at work because they insist on it. Chrome for years, Firefox before that

• Like 1

I never liked IE...Iv'e used Firefox in the past. Initially it was ok - but then it started to slow things up and freeze pages (so I gave it the boot)

I give Google Chrome the 'thumbs up'....I'm not surprised it's taken out the award for the best and most reliable browser thus far.

Same here. Hated IE with a vengeance - too slow and bugridden, used Firefox for a while but had slowness and bugs with it too, swapped to Chrome and found it fast, reliable and unintrusive. There are some Google things I hate -eg the dumb weather display in Google News that can't be adjusted and thinks I'm over 600 miles from my actual location...ggrrrrrrrrrrr.... but Chrome? Definitely :tsu:

• Like 1

Firefox with Adblock Plus and NoScript has done the job for me for years now.

I've only ever had a brief look at Chrome. The fact that you can't even use the google website these days without constantly agreeing to privacy policy revisions that want to spam you with targeted advertising has put me off anything google.

Haven't used IE in years, although I tend to keep an updated version on my system simply as it's under my nose with Windows Update.

I'm puzzled - what sort of targeted advertising spam should I be seeing and getting annoyed at?

Yes, I occasionally see ads (on sites that are obviously covered with them anyway) that are targeted to my interests, but I never see popup window ads or anything intrusive. And if I'm gunna see a little ad thing on a website anyway, it may as well be something that I am interested in...

Maybe I hang in the right/wrong places, but seriously, I don't see any intrusive tactics by Google via Chrome.

• Like 2

As I say, I can't speak for Chrome as I've only used it briefly, when it was one of the first browsers to offer support for HTML5. I was just referring to Google policy in general.

As far as I know, you can get Adblock and an extension similar to NoScript that offer the same functionality in Chrome.

I'd absolutely recommend using them - between them they eliminate almost all advertising. It isn't just the "I don't want to see ads" factor. Page layouts for sites with heavy advertising removed become much cleaner and easier to navigate. Tracking your browsing behaviour becomes much more difficult, for example Google Analytics can be blocked by default. Ads are also one of the biggest targets for scripting exploits, and not just on obscure websites - ad networks are a huge draw for cybercriminals.

As to Google, I'd imagine most people click "I Agree" when the privacy reminder comes up. Don't - go into "Other Options" and turn off settings that allow data to be used by third parties.

Honestly, I'm no conspiracy nut, but most people are just sleepwalking into a "Big Brother" world these days, where we're nothing but commodities. It's largely p***ing into the wind trying to fight it, but it doesn't hurt to limit the influence these massive corporations have over us.

From just a couple of days ago:

Google given access to London patient records for research

Would you trust Google with this private information?

Imagine a future where insurance companies turn you away before you utter a word as they've already run a risk assessment based on information you didn't even know they had.

Edited by LV-426
  • Like 2

As I say, I can't speak for Chrome as I've only used it briefly, when it was one of the first browsers to offer support for HTML5. I was just referring to Google policy in general.

As far as I know, you can get Adblock and an extension similar to NoScript that offer the same functionality in Chrome.

I'd absolutely recommend using them - between them they eliminate almost all advertising. It isn't just the "I don't want to see ads" factor. Page layouts for sites with heavy advertising removed become much cleaner and easier to navigate. Tracking your browsing behaviour becomes much more difficult, for example Google Analytics can be blocked by default. Ads are also one of the biggest targets for scripting exploits, and not just on obscure websites - ad networks are a huge draw for cybercriminals.

As to Google, I'd imagine most people click "I Agree" when the privacy reminder comes up. Don't - go into "Other Options" and turn off settings that allow data to be used by third parties.

Honestly, I'm no conspiracy nut, but most people are just sleepwalking into a "Big Brother" world these days, where we're nothing but commodities. It's largely p***ing into the wind trying to fight it, but it doesn't hurt to limit the influence these massive corporations have over us.

From just a couple of days ago:

Google given access to London patient records for research

Would you trust Google with this private information?

Imagine a future where insurance companies turn you away before you utter a word as they've already run a risk assessment based on information you didn't even know they had.

This guy gets it. My Firefox has more plugins than bookmarks

• Like 2

I'm puzzled - what sort of targeted advertising spam should I be seeing and getting annoyed at?

Yes, I occasionally see ads (on sites that are obviously covered with them anyway) that are targeted to my interests, but I never see popup window ads or anything intrusive. And if I'm gunna see a little ad thing on a website anyway, it may as well be something that I am interested in...

Maybe I hang in the right/wrong places, but seriously, I don't see any intrusive tactics by Google via Chrome.

I like seeing what it comes up with. I seem to get a lot of Muslim dating sites, although sometimes to balance things out I'm invited to hold my Jewish wedding in Israel.

:unsure:

• Like 1

This was expected since IE is being slowly but surely retired and replaced by Microsoft Edge. If Microsoft had put IE at the ''forefront'' of Windows 10, it would have retained top spot without a doubt. Most people use whatever default browser is available and that of course doesn't work in favor of Chrome on Windows.

Google Chrome topples IE now because the market share for Microsoft is now divided between IE and Edge.

Edited by TruthSeeker_

Internet explorer has had one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel for awhile.

• 2 weeks later...

I use chrome for my phone but otherwise, I've had too many small "hiccups" and recurring issues with any full version. All pretty minor things like occasional freezes and its load times seem weird to me but I'll stick with edge or opera for the meantime till the next time gmail gnaws on my ear and slips me another pick-up line for their awesome browser.

Did firefox ever get an overhaul?

• 2 weeks later...