Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

War Protesters

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#76    Nancy

Nancy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 31 August 2003 - 02:19 AM

QUOTE (Bizarro @ Aug 30 2003, 10:03 PM)
i still don't think you answered his question, Nancy. 

Bizarro,
Since Pale_Horse has not responded, I feel a tad out of 'joint' trying to defend myself with your response, to his question.

As a result? I bow to your expertise and out of this thread.
sad.gif  

#77    lil_kanga77

lil_kanga77

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 31 August 2003 - 02:29 AM

So only the criminals,(who can obtain weapons illegally), who statistically have a greater inclination towards violence should have these weapons while their victims shouldn't be allowed to defend themselves with the same?

Where o' where is society heading these days?

blink.gif  

#78    Nancy

Nancy

Psychic Spy

• 1,106 posts

Posted 31 August 2003 - 02:33 AM

QUOTE (lil_kanga77 @ Aug 30 2003, 10:29 PM)
Where o' where is society heading these days?

blink.gif

As I leave here with my head hung low, I have to agree with you Kanga, 1000%
Tis a sad, very sad world.       crying.gif  

dying is easy ... tis the living that's hard...

#79    Kaj

Kaj

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 31 August 2003 - 08:08 AM

QUOTE (Bizarro @ Aug 31 2003, 02:03 AM)
a well armed, lawful citizenry is a good thing.

And it works so well too   hmmm....
More policemen on the streets and less weapons..thats the answer.
and are you fearing a military takeover????
Thought you trusted your gov and supported it.

Bizarro: its almost impossible to defend having weapons.
Hear about things that happen over there every single day cuz of someone got crazy or a kid played around with a gun,
If there hasnīt been a gun in the house, many of those tragic things never would have happened, the man that got crazy didnīt go out to shoot people in random.
there is nothing you can say that makes it right. But there is so many of those weapons floating around everywhere in USA and it is a little late to think about it now.
It would take years to get the weapons out.
And Bizarro: even criminals would not find it that easy to find weapons if the weapons were in limited numbers.

Well it is the wild west, Do you call it a civilized society???
In that aspect USA still is 100 years behind many other countries.

We are just farts in space and time.

Be nice !

#80    Nintendork

Nintendork

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

• One day i will rule this

Posted 31 August 2003 - 02:42 PM

I agree

Is adult entertainment killing our children, or is killing our children entertaining adults?

The reason Sants's so jolly is because he knows where all the naughty children live!-george carlin

#81    Phantom

Phantom

Psychic Spy

• 1,879 posts

• Bad Ass Member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 31 August 2003 - 03:57 PM

QUOTE (DarkStar @ Aug 31 2003, 04:42 PM)
I agree

Would be nice if you stated with whom you agreed...
Or actually contributed to the discussion.

"Do you hear that, Mr. Anderson? That is the sound of inevitability..." - Agent Smith
"Apfelschnaps, it's more than skindeep" - Kismit
"OK, don't quote me anymore..." - Mentalcase

#82    Bizarro

Bizarro

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 31 August 2003 - 05:00 PM

first of all, i don't think Europeans/Aussies have a clue what the USA is like unless they have lived here for awhile.  i respect lil_kanga's right to an opinion, but i don't agree with her- at least its an informed opinion.  as for you, Kaj, you have no clue.  

weapons are not the cause of crime.  i have lived near people who have more guns than family members for most of my life and never seen them wield them in anger once.  i know its tragic if a child dies playing with a gun, but children die playing with a lot of things they shouldn't play with- that is being a child.  the crime and violence in this country is perpetrated mostly by the poor and uneducated people and mostly against each other.  its not the wild west here either, although it can seem like it in some bad neighborhoods.  more law enforcement would not solve the problem because the criminals have more to gain by defying law than obeying it.  drug dealers get rich selling drugs but can't find a normal job anywhere but McDonalds or some crappy service industry job making minimum wage.  you make more per hour busting windows and taking car stereos than working at these crap jobs.  we need better jobs, better education, and better social programs to stop crime.  guns don't cause crime in affluent neighborhoods nearly as often as in poor neighborhoods.  in those neighborhoods, a gun murder is just as rare as any other country.  lots of crimes are committed without guns too, even in a country already full of guns.

you could not possibly take the guns from people in this country.  it isn't even a possibility.  even if they stopped selling guns tomorrow, we would have them here for eternity and there would be a revolution tomorrow afternoon.  i bet there are 5+ guns for every citizen of this country already, probably more.  criminals would never have trouble getting a gun, even if they were banned.  

we are a civilized society, just not in the ways you consider to be civilized.  you can take your anti-American views and shove them as far as im concerned.  why is it that if i were to start slandering some European country than im a bad guy but when some European starts bashing my country no one stops him?  come on.  at least be fair.  if you want to talk about this subject, please refrain from insulting my country.  i consider that a personal insult.  its also totally unnecessary to the debate.

if there was a meteor,
adrift amongst space,
set about on a collision course
not with Earth, but my face...
i wonder if id even know,
at what time i might,
be passed off like an old style
and by the meteor be smite?

- me, 1997

#83    Kaj

Kaj

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 31 August 2003 - 05:42 PM

Ok.
Sorry for the insult.
I didnīt intend it to be insulting.
I often make the mistake, that I think how it should be, and I donīt think about how it possibly would be in real life.( utopia kind of dream-worldview )
You donīt think 5 guns per person is scary??? (didnīt know that)
How many guns can a person buy per year???

I still think that the access to guns is a biggest factor in crime.
(and humans ofcourse) But you canīt ban humans can you?

My only hope, not only in this matter, is that people open their eyes to all the madness going on in the world and then look at them selves. What part do I have to this?? Why is it like this.
To tell you something about the Swedish gov I donīt like:
Too  (indulgent?) to criminals, canīt handle money at all, bureaucratic as hell.  
Internationally: A sharp protest is the only measure they take if something is wrong.
for example: sweden manufactures weapons (sucks) and are forbidden according to the Swedish law to sell weapons to countries at war. They sell weapons an war materiell to the USA. Even when USA was at war against Iraq.
Protests were made but they didnīt dare to say no.
Wimps.

The law is the law...sometimes.

We are just farts in space and time.

Be nice !

#84    lil_kanga77

lil_kanga77

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 02 September 2003 - 02:24 AM

A positive is how multi-cultural this forum is.

People from other countries, other cultures expressing their views.

I've lived most of my life in Australia and feel I can put a different perspective on things just as hearing from people from other countries including America can put on this discussion.

I don't agree with calling America less civilised than other countries for they are ahead in many ways yet.... I think it's important to express ones opinion be them American or otherwise.

We learn the most from people who are different to us, in my opinion.

And just because we don't all agree on what should be done, surely we agree that something needs to be done to stop such high numbers of deaths occurring from such weapons.

.... regardless of where we are.

Maybe I'm off topic but again, it's just my opinion.

#85    Pale_Horse

Pale_Horse

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 233 posts

Posted 02 September 2003 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE (Nancy @ Aug 28 2003, 05:42 PM)
QUOTE (Pale_Horse @ Aug 28 2003, 03:26 PM)
What do you mean by eliminate?  Do you mean that one cannot buy such weapons legally, or that these weapons will simply not exist any more? ( By that I mean, no one makes them any longer and existing ones are destroyed.)  Which types of weapons would you target?  Actually, I'm kind of curious about your views on this. original.gif

w00t.gif Seems I've managed to wake the Sleeping Lion here.
Nancy: <~~~ carefully approaching Pale_Horse with Peace Pipe.

Whew....  (deep breath, Blondie).... Two-hundred years ago .......

.....Needless to say, Charleston Heston and I are not the Best of Friends, and..... If you start giving Deer and other wildlife AK-47's and ammo, I'd feel more comfortable about this whole convoluted situation. End of Speech.  I think....... wacko.gif  whistling2.gif

Thanks for the response! original.gif   I appreciate your intelligent views on this subject.  But what I was asking, and sorry if I did not make myself clear, was that what particular weapons would you do away with?  For instance, semi-auto pistols, revolvers, semi-auto rifles, bolt action, muzzle loaders, etc....

Sorry I did not respond sooner Nancy but I was in Chicago all this past weekend watching the Cubs loose at Wrigley Field sad.gif   Ninth inning, bases loaded and a pop fly to right field....Damn Cubs!!!!

Edit:

Shortened Nancy's quote a bit, no need to quote in full Palehorse...  wink2.gif

Edited by Phantom, 03 September 2003 - 07:30 PM.

My hair's turnin' white, my neck's always been red, my collar's still blue.
We've always been here tryin' to sing the truth to you.
Guess you could say we've always been red, white and blue.

Let's do it again!

#86    Nancy

Nancy

Psychic Spy

• 1,106 posts

Posted 03 September 2003 - 12:25 AM

Pale Horse,
Since I have bowed out of this Thread, I would be more than glad to answer you via a "PM" if that is acceptable to you. Sorry the Cubs broke your heart!  crying.gif  

#87    Infowarrior

Infowarrior

Alien Embryo

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 09:56 PM

QUOTE (Homer @ Mar 28 2003, 04:16 AM)
Hobo,
Terrorist = One that engages in acts or an act of terror
Terror = Violence committed or threatened by a group to intimidate or coerce a population, as for military or political purposes

Have you ever heard that saying 'a rose by any other name is still a rose?'  The same applies to the so-called peace demonstrators. You can call them whatever you like, but they are still terrorists. Wishing terrorists malice is not only a good thing, but to not wish it is wrong. Have you not read my previous post? What part did you not understand? To have a peaceful demonstration is a right in this country and many other countries as well, and nobody is against that in principle. Now that war has begun, to protest it is morally wrong, regardless of ones belief. But the type of protests that have been going on is morally wrong at any time, and that is also regardless of ones belief. I am all for true peaceful demonstrations, but that is not the issue anymore. The issue is the unruly mobs that claim to be peace demonstrators. They are terrorists despite what you may want to call them.

Further examples of this fact, that was not included in my previous post, is a small business owner is afraid to open his business because of the mob. Too bad for him if his business is barely making a profit. Certain parts of the city are closed off, and you can't even drive your car down certain streets because the mob wont let you. There are mobs outside daycare centers to prevent people from dropping their children off. In all these situations, your right to work and commute has been taken from you. If you are a consumer interested in buying something from areas where the mob is, forget about it, because that right has been taken from you as well. Most importantly, and one I already mentioned, is the allocation of resources. There is no safe place within the city because law enforcement is too busy with crowd control, to preserve the rights of terrorists, so your rights can be taken.

In Seattle, for example, residents are specifically being told that if they aren't in IMMEDIATE danger, don't call the authorities, as they are busy with crowd control. My first post was by far more profound than this one, yet you fail to grasp the importance. It's not about everyone having a right to voice their opinion. That has never been in question. It's about these terrorists taking your rights and safety and freedom away, and calling it a demonstration.

You said: "this idea that anyone that does not agree with what the government is spoon feeding them is a terrorist reminds me of something i, and i am sure every one else, studied in history, the bandwagon effect."
Nobody has ever said that, whether in the forum or in the media, so I think you're on your own with that 'idea' of yours rolleyes.gif

Just to let everyone know, I will be leaving the forum for awhile. With this post I will say 'see you later', and that I had to go out with another example of my intellectual superiority over those that think they know what they are talking about.

Take care everyone original.gif

And stay cool cool.gif
“In the 1980s capitalism triumphed over communism. In the l990s it triumphed over democracy. ”
– David Korten, The Post-Corporate World

“The greatest purveyor of violence in the world today - my own government.”
– Martin Luther King Jr., April 4th 1967, exactly one year before he was assassinated

#88    Magikman

Magikman

Most Exalted member of the first 15

• 6,280 posts

• "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur"

Posted 16 September 2003 - 11:05 PM

InfoWarrior,

Everyone is entitled to their opinion here, as long as they stick as close as they can to the topic being discussed in any particular thread. What won't be tolerated, however, is posting the very same information in threads that have nothing to do with the subject matter. That is known as spamming, and it will be deleted immediately. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Magikman

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. ~ Carl Sagan

"...man has an irrepressible tendency to read meaning into the buzzing confusion of sights and sounds impinging on his senses; and where no agreed meaning can be found, he will provide it out of his own imagination." ~ Arthur Koestler

#89    Cufflink

Cufflink

Poltergeist

• 2,234 posts

• For you, Baby, I could be

Posted 17 September 2003 - 03:02 AM

QUOTE (Infowarrior @ Sep 16 2003, 09:56 PM)
I got lots more if anyone wants more?

You keep it, infowarrior.

If you should have a powercut this winter, you may need something to start a fire with.

ph34r.gif                laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif  

Posted Image
Posted Image

In case...two words, not one Posted Image

#90    Infowarrior

Infowarrior

Alien Embryo

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 17 September 2003 - 04:49 PM

QUOTE (Cufflink @ Sep 17 2003, 03:02 AM)
QUOTE (Infowarrior @ Sep 16 2003, 09:56 PM)
I got lots more if anyone wants more?

You keep it, infowarrior.

If you should have a powercut this winter, you may need something to start a fire with.

ph34r.gif                laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif

Did you even check it out smart guy?

“In the 1980s capitalism triumphed over communism. In the l990s it triumphed over democracy. ”
– David Korten, The Post-Corporate World

“The greatest purveyor of violence in the world today - my own government.”
– Martin Luther King Jr., April 4th 1967, exactly one year before he was assassinated

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users