Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Ghost Photographs - what a load...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    Loonboy

Loonboy

Poltergeist

• 2,852 posts

Posted 03 September 2001 - 12:42 PM

>:(
Is it just me or are a lot of other members tired of clicking onto suposed ghost photographs only to find 'smoke', 'orbs' and 'faces'. I have checked out hundreds of so called ghosties and it's clear that most of them are not spiritual entities.
How can anyone say that a vague orblike image is a ghost? Since most of these photos are taken at night with additional electronic lighting, is it too great a leap to think that maybe there is a lens reflection going on?
As for the faces, most of the time the sender of the image states something like 'you can see the face of an old lady in victorian garb', but when I look I see nothing of the sort. The human brain is predisposed to looking for the human face in all patterns it sees and in any innocuous blurry image someone is bound to see 'something'.
And that smoke thing - why is it usually very close to the camera and out of focus? Sounds dodgy to me.

:o
The few good photographs that defy explanation in my opinion are: the 'mother-in-law on the back seat of the car', 'the Raynam Hall staircase', and 'the dead soldier peeking over the shoulder'. You can find these on most ghost sites.

Come on, you ghost-hunters, there are ghosts out there and possibly they can be photographed, but leave out the pap.

8)

Do what you want and be what you feel. Because after all, those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't 'mind.

Work hard, keep the ceremonies, live peacably, and unite your hearts. Hopi

Listen to the voice of nature, for it holds treasures for you. Huron

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears. Minquass

#2    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,241 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 03 September 2001 - 03:03 PM

I agree with you there, almost 99% of the ghost photographs I have looked at are really nothing but photographic defects and the like. A lot of them include unconvincing "ghostly mist" and "ectoplasm residue" that really looks just like defects in the photograph than evidence of a ghostly prescence.

The best and most convincing ghost photographs are those that show an undismissable extra in the picture, such as in the cases you described. Even then, it's more than possible for the "ghost" to be nothing more than the result of a double exposure or photograph development defect. I have heard it said that many of the really good photographs are the result of part of another photograph becoming accidentally superimposed on top of it during development, making a person appear where they shouldn't be.

Still, there are many genuine ghost photographs out there, it's just a shame that they are swamped by the thousands of those that are not.

#3    Great Big Sea

Great Big Sea

Poltergeist

• 2,459 posts

• We should respect a person not because who they are, but what they do with their life, is the way they earn our respect.

Posted 22 December 2003 - 07:18 PM

Thank you Loonboy for pointing it out! If I see one more faked ghost picture I will huck my computer out the window! Er- okay something less dramatic, but you know what I mean.

Happy Holiday's! wink2.gif

"This is probably the strangest position I've been in on this show." Adam Savage.

"Notice how he says "On this Show." Kari Byron

Mythbusters.

#4    open-minded-skull

open-minded-skull

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 18 posts

• Pepsi Generation

Posted 22 December 2003 - 09:18 PM

you all know most ghost pics are fake disgust.gif  just some people looking for a little attention and fame. whistling2.gif   What do you all make of the recent pic from Hampton Court palace in London?...This is my first post thumbsup.gif .

Attached Files

#5    moe eubleck

moe eubleck

No need to thank us

• 7,001 posts

• may the horse of Caligula drop one in your senate building.

Posted 22 December 2003 - 09:37 PM

I dont think its a ghost. Moe didnt think ghosts required the use of doors...
could be wrong... blink.gif  

Posted Image
Moe's Poetry Corner
Moe's Big Adventure
" Behavior is a function of its consequences, invoked by the antecedant conditions"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users