Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The Colossal Squid

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,001 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 01 April 2003 - 03:48 PM

Here's an article I found this morning, but I didn't post it on the news board because it sounds like it could very easily be an April Fool.

In particular this quote :

"This squid is a really nasty aggressive sort of squid . . . a gelatinous blob with seriously evil arms on it. If you fall in the water, you're history."

blink.gif

Anyways, click  HERE to see the article for yourself, and see what you think.                                                  

#2    PurpleStuart

PurpleStuart

Goth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts

• The Most Purple Haired Gothic Hedonistic member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 02 April 2003 - 06:35 PM

Theres another article here                                                  

never take me too seriously

#3    Loonboy

Loonboy

Poltergeist

• 2,852 posts

Posted 02 April 2003 - 07:38 PM

Yet another reason not to go into the water...

If you guyz want me, I'll be in the beach bar...

huh.gif                                                  

Do what you want and be what you feel. Because after all, those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't 'mind.

Work hard, keep the ceremonies, live peacably, and unite your hearts. Hopi

Listen to the voice of nature, for it holds treasures for you. Huron

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears. Minquass

#4    HD

HD

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 02 April 2003 - 08:39 PM

If you guyz want me, I'll be in the beach bar...

LB you lush you will find any excuse to go to a bar   biggrin.gif                                                  

"You have to learn to love yourself after all you are the only
person you are guaranteed to be with for the rest of your life.."

#5    Kismit

Kismit

Telekinetic

• 7,680 posts

Posted 03 April 2003 - 08:59 AM

Grrrrr. I came on last night trying to find a link to this story so I could post it but I couldn't .

I mean geez and double sheeesh the specimen is less than an hour from my house. If I poke my head out the window I could probably smell it  *sniff sniff * Yep smells like dead squid  blink.gif
    Thanx for the link Saruman. smile.gif                                                  

#6    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,001 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 03 April 2003 - 11:38 AM

This does indeed seem to be genuine - PS I think I'll post that BBC News article on the news board, this looks like a very interesting new discovery.

rolleyes.gif                                                  

#7    Space Moose

Space Moose

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 03 April 2003 - 01:23 PM

The Scandinavians have a creature like this in their folk lore, they call it the Kraken.  It is so large they say, that it can drag a ship down with it should it so desire.

Just off the top of my head, there is a story out of Newfoundland in the late 1800's that details a small fishing ship being attacked.  The story goes that they hacked off a couple of tentacles and brought them back to shore.  One of them was carried off by dogs and they were only partials, but they were reported to be huge.

Of people who do this sort of thing for a living, the thought has been that the Kraken is what we now know as the giant squid.  If the colossal squid is proven further to exist, I suppose this theory would only need a slight alteration to include it as well.                                                  

#8    Kismit

Kismit

Telekinetic

• 7,680 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 09:03 AM

It is very true Saruman. The guy responsible for  classifying the type of Squid it is , has had alot of trouble getting people to belive it isn't an April fools day joke .
Accoring to this evenings paper this is the first place Dr O'shea first announced the discovery Tonmo

#9    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,001 posts

Posted 04 April 2003 - 12:11 PM

Here's a link to yet another article as well as a picture of the Squid :

Click Here

That is one truly enormous beast.

blink.gif                                                  

#10    LisaMHD

LisaMHD

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

• Do I smell lasagna??

Posted 04 April 2003 - 02:02 PM

Cryptozoology.com also has an article on this Giant Squid.

Even though I am facinated with the deep oceans and whats down there, Ill pass on meeting this thing in person thank you.  Hmmmmm, maybe the reason we never see one of these things alive is because Megolodon is having them for dinner??   biggrin.gif                                                  

I will forever believe that anythings possible, no matter how crazy or unexplainable.

#11    Kismit

Kismit

Telekinetic

• 7,680 posts

Posted 06 April 2003 - 11:08 AM

Shheesh Lisa . scared.gif  biggrin.gif                                                  

#12    LisaMHD

LisaMHD

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

• Do I smell lasagna??

Posted 06 April 2003 - 02:12 PM

laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif Sorry Kismit, I had to. I just couldnt resist.  biggrin.gif  Am I forgiven?                                                  

I will forever believe that anythings possible, no matter how crazy or unexplainable.

#13    Kismit

Kismit

Telekinetic

• 7,680 posts

Posted 06 April 2003 - 10:20 PM

Forgiven  smile.gif                                                  

#14    LisaMHD

LisaMHD

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 616 posts

• Do I smell lasagna??

Posted 07 April 2003 - 01:35 AM

Thanks Kismit  biggrin.gif

Would it have been better if I said "MMMMMMM Kalimari!!"? Sorry again, Im in a rare mood tonight, Im tired and facing a major haul of laundry tomorrow. YUCKY!! dry.gif                                                  

#15    Kismit

Kismit

Telekinetic

• 7,680 posts

Posted 07 April 2003 - 01:41 AM

Lisa I like calamari , but how would you slice one that big  unsure.gif                                                  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users