Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Flaw opens alien program to invaders

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1    Althalus

Althalus

Alien Abducter

• 4,906 posts

Posted 09 April 2003 - 10:58 AM

A security bug has been discovered in the screensaver software used by millions of people to search for alien messages in radio telescope signals. The bug could be used to invade computer systems worldwide, a Dutch computer student says.

Berend-Jan Wever, at Delft University of Technology in the Netherlands, found that a sending a specially crafted update to the SETI@home program installed on a user's computer forces it to run unauthorised code. This could be exploited to gain control of the machine.

user posted image View: Full Article | Source: Yahoo News                                                  

"We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences."
David Gemmell

#2    SpaceyKC

SpaceyKC

Government Agent

• 3,349 posts

• Thank you TO

Posted 09 April 2003 - 12:49 PM

I got a totally different thought when I first read the title
         of this thread.  ohmy.gif   ('space invaders'?)  laugh.gif
            But seriously,  I'm glad someone found the 'bug'.                                                    

"Science may have found a cure for most evils;  but it has
         found no remedy for the worst of them all --- the apathy of human beings."
                                                     Helen Keller

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users