Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Germans ‘sick of Nazi reminders’

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1    DC09

DC09

Poltergeist

• 2,458 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 12:34 AM

MOST Germans would prefer to forget the Holocaust and are tired of hearing about Nazi crimes during the Third Reich, according to a poll released just before the 60th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz, writes Justin Sparks.
Some 62% of the 3,000 people questioned by researchers from the University of Bielefeld agreed they were “sick of all the harping on about German crimes against the Jews”.

Most said they wished to consign their country’s Nazi past to the history books. Well over half also thought there were too many foreigners living in Germany.

The poll horrified Lord Janner, a spokesman for British survivors of Auschwitz. “It’s appalling,” he said. “It raises fears that the current generation are not ready to pass on the history and lessons learnt from those events to their children.”

Political analysts believe the findings reflect a growing feeling among younger Germans that they have atoned sufficiently for their grandparents’ crimes and now have the right to bury the past. Their attitude has been fuelled in part by books and documentaries showing the destruction caused by Allied second world war bombing raids.

“This trend began with revisionist historians telling Germans they were really the victims of the war rather than its perpetrators,” said Abraham Cooper, dean of the Simon Wiesenthal Center.

The poll also highlights anti-Israeli feeling in Germany. More than two-thirds said they believed that Israel was waging “a war of extermination” against the Palestinians.

Article

#2    Good Ol Skeptico

Good Ol Skeptico

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 307 posts

• "The Holy Bible + Yakety Sax = Best Read EVER"

Posted 23 January 2005 - 07:15 AM

I say the Germans should just get used to it. Its history, your ancestors lived it, learn it and go on!  mad.gif

#3    AztecInca

AztecInca

Martian

• 9,013 posts

• All it takes for evil to triumph, is for good people to do nothing.

Posted 23 January 2005 - 08:38 AM

No matter how hard they try and forget their history they will never succeed, the holocaust is something that will never be forgotten and shoudl never be forgotten!

#4    Subtemperate

Subtemperate

Sub-b-wonderful

• 9,966 posts

• I made a spelling mistake and sold my soul to santa.

Posted 23 January 2005 - 08:40 AM

I say the Germans should just get used to it. Its history, your ancestors lived it, learn it and go on!

While I agree, do you remember and learn from the slaying of "native americans"?

Edited by Subtemperate, 23 January 2005 - 08:40 AM.

"Not only do I not know the answer, I don't even know what the question is" - Metallica

Posted Image

#5    warden

warden

Poltergeist

• 2,751 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 01:23 PM

Where shall i start

The german youth that are the next generation probarly could not care less,it wasnt them ,it wasnt there mum or dad, it was there grandads generation.

I am a scots man and very proud of it,for hundreds of years my people have been sluaghtered by the english,tortured,raped,mutilated and driven to starvation a sort of ethnic cleansing in those days.

they get taught this in school but when they are growing up they want to forget the terrible past and get on with there neighbours but you will always have a few who cant let go

like the germans the past is the past dwell on it to much and problems start to appear

history is a good reminder of the good and bad but we should be looking to the future so we can try and get on with one another.

#6    morpheas

morpheas

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 06:00 PM

-Post removed-

be true to yourself first, then you can be true with others.

#7    final flight

final flight

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 06:11 PM

morpheas is right most germans didn't agree with hitler. Also it wasn't just germans who were nazi, many other countries were involved in nazisim.

Posted Image
You Might Be Canadian If...

-You know that the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) don't always look like that.
-You can eat more than one maple sugar candy without feeling nauseous.
-You think -10 C is mild weather.
-You know the ingredients for poutine.  
-You die a little inside if you can't get your Tim's double-double every morning.  
-You know the difference between real snow and "television" snow -- the white stuff that passes for snow on tv and in films. You scream, "For Christsake! That should be sticking to their pants!" and "Lookit, it's not melting! That's *so* not snow!" when watching 'Winter' scenes.
-You understand the phrase "Could you pass me a serviette, I just dropped my poutine, on the chesterfield."

#8    Hotoke

Hotoke

Psychic Spy

• 1,923 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 06:22 PM

actually we should be reminded our horrible past, that way we learn to never make the same mistakes again

So you have come this far and still you understand nothing. Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness! Behold the endless abyss! Within it lies the heart of all worlds

#9    Erikl

Erikl

Alien Abducter

• 4,524 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 07:06 PM

QUOTE(final flight @ Jan 23 2005, 06:11 PM)
morpheas is right most germans didn't agree with hitler. Also it wasn't just germans who were nazi, many other countries were involved in nazisim.

View Post

Bullocks.
Hitler was chosen by majority of popular vote, when everyone who was interested could know his ideology (he published Mein Kampf years before).
Also, 1 million Germans in the SS pretty much shows that most of the Germans did agree with him.... and, if you consider the millions of members in the Nazi party, which wasn't compulsory, then you just can't say that most germans didn't support him.
On the other hand, many people in Europe support the Nazis, the Austrians were equal citizens of the Third Reich (as oppose to the Czechs and Poles), not to forget the hundreds of thousands of volunteers all over Europe into the Wermacht disgust.gif.

P.S although most germans did support the Nazis actively or passively, a brave minority of the germans didn't support them and for that they payed their life.
Unfortunately, they weren't many enough to stop the Nazi madness.

Posted Image

"We live in a world where when Christians kill Muslims, it's a crusade; When Jews kill Muslims, it's a massacre; When Muslims kill Muslims, it's the weather channel. Nobody cares"

#10    Hotoke

Hotoke

Psychic Spy

• 1,923 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 07:23 PM

dont forget when they entered poland the germans who lived there cheered

So you have come this far and still you understand nothing. Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness! Behold the endless abyss! Within it lies the heart of all worlds

#11    morpheas

morpheas

Psychic Spy

• 1,298 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 08:10 PM

-Post removed-

Edited by morpheas, 23 January 2005 - 08:33 PM.

be true to yourself first, then you can be true with others.

#12    Erikl

Erikl

Alien Abducter

• 4,524 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 08:40 PM

so was Bush, but that doesnt make everyone who voted for him, a war monger lover!!! afteral, he said it himself, he is a WAR PRESIDENT!!! lets not forget that aye!

Equating Bush to Hilter... yeah... very rational indeed wacko.gif

and now we have cults/groups (whatever you want to call them) such as the KU Klux Klan in the US (mainly) which is intent on picking up where the nazis left off.
lets condemn all americans for habitting the Ku Klux Klan!! disgust.gif
(i was joking btw)

Ahem... first of all, the KKK was created long before the Nazis, in the late 1860s.
Second, if the KKK would have been voted into office, and won the majority in the Senate and Congress, then yes, I would have condemn the American people for supporting them.
Obviously, that didn't happen and is not likely to happen any time in the foreseeble futue wacko.gif tongue.gif.

Posted Image

"We live in a world where when Christians kill Muslims, it's a crusade; When Jews kill Muslims, it's a massacre; When Muslims kill Muslims, it's the weather channel. Nobody cares"

#13    Andy_R

Andy_R

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 10:45 PM

Almost every country has events in its past that it's not proud of.  
It all belongs in the history books, but we certainly don't need everyday reminders.

#14    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,868 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 23 January 2005 - 10:47 PM

No matter how hard they try and forget their history they will never succeed, the holocaust is something that will never be forgotten and shoudl never be forgotten!

While I agree... we all know what happened when we forced germany to remember the history of WW1 and pay for it...

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

----Seraphina

#15    The Russian Hare

The Russian Hare

Silent assassin

• 2,033 posts

• Boat Tailed & Hollow Pointed

Posted 23 January 2005 - 11:18 PM

Second, if the KKK would have been voted into office, and won the majority in the Senate and Congress, then yes, I would have condemn the American people for supporting them

Actually, in the early part of the 20th century, the Klan wielded considerable political power. Its members included senators, governors, members of the house of representatives, and local officials of all stripes. Harry Truman was briefly a member, long before his presidency.

I plead the Fifth, but if you get pushy with me I'll plead the Second. Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users