Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Official: U.S.-Led Forces Could Leave in 18 Months

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1    morpheas

morpheas

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 02:14 AM

-Post removed-

Edited by morpheas, 31 January 2005 - 02:15 AM.

be true to yourself first, then you can be true with others.

#2    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,859 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 31 January 2005 - 02:17 AM

I hope so, but personally i think its optimistic to think Iraq will be stable in 18 months! who knows though

It doesnt have to be stable... It just has to have enough security forces to keep the situation from deteriorating.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

----Seraphina

#3    Thanato

Thanato

Government Agent

• 4,133 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 02:19 AM

I think it will be a few years untill Bush gets a few treatys saying he gets all the oil.

~Thanato

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scrapping will remove the black parts!" ~Caboose

"I will eat your unhappyness!" ~Caboose

"Freedom isn't bought in stores, it is bought on battlefields." ~Thanato

#4    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,859 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 31 January 2005 - 02:23 AM

Actually, Im not sure if the US forces leaving before Bushs term is up is a good thing... think about it... he already has an itchy trigger finger... giving him a gun to scratch it on might not be that good of an idea...

----Seraphina

#5    morpheas

morpheas

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 02:27 AM

-Post removed-

be true to yourself first, then you can be true with others.

#6    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

• "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 31 January 2005 - 03:37 AM

When we leave Iraq, I would be willing to bet we head directly east...

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

#7    AztecInca

AztecInca

Martian

• 9,013 posts

• All it takes for evil to triumph, is for good people to do nothing.

Posted 31 January 2005 - 07:54 AM

^Yep probably but this time it may be alone, I seriously doubt that britian or the other allied forces will be willing to go there!

#8    warden

warden

Poltergeist

• 2,751 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 08:24 AM

I dont think britian will go over the border

countries from all aroud the world need to get together and sort out the next crises

As we have seen in Iraq,guns are only half the solution,

More people in there own countries need to put more pressure on there leaders to find a solution before what many people predict,an all out war in the middle east

That no one would win

#9    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 06:23 PM

That would be great if the Iraqi's can manage the country themselves within 18 months. Hopefully the successful elections will translate into a successful government, which works together on rebuidling the nation, while the continued training of Iraqi military/police makes it so they can protect themselves within that time period.

אַ֭תָּה אֱלֹהֵ֣י יִשְׁעִ֑י

#10    Babs

Babs

Alien Abducter

• 4,663 posts

• "Truth will first be ridiculed, then violently opposed, and finally accepted as self-evident" A. Schopenhauer 1788-1860

Posted 31 January 2005 - 06:28 PM

A dream. I think we will be there for quite a while...or at least I think we should.

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation"

Henry David Thoreau...

#11    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 06:34 PM

QUOTE(Babs @ Jan 31 2005, 02:28 PM)
A dream. I think we will be there for quite a while...or at least I think we should.

View Post

The Iraqi's may not be capable of managing their country by then, which would mean we would have to be there beyond that time frame. But if they are capable, would you still prefer we stay there?

#12    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,859 posts

-Patton

Posted 31 January 2005 - 09:27 PM

QUOTE(Homer @ Jan 31 2005, 06:34 PM)

View Post

The Iraqi's may not be capable of managing their country by then, which would mean we would have to be there beyond that time frame. But if they are capable, would you still prefer we stay there?

View Post

What I think is most likely to happen is the US will still stay after those 18 months, but in much smaller numbers, as support for the Iraqis.

----Seraphina

#13    Babs

Babs

Alien Abducter

• 4,663 posts

• "Truth will first be ridiculed, then violently opposed, and finally accepted as self-evident" A. Schopenhauer 1788-1860

Posted 01 February 2005 - 05:39 AM

QUOTE(Homer @ Jan 31 2005, 12:34 PM)

View Post

View Post

We will be there for quite a while. Things don't just turn over. The terrorists aren't going to quit. ph34r.gif

If the terrorists stop the terror and the Iraqis can fend for themselves, we will still have to have a number of troops there to support the peace. The Iraqis will still need help. This is a long-term deal and one that we will be engaged in.

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation"

Henry David Thoreau...

#14    warden

warden

Poltergeist

• 2,751 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 07:57 AM

QUOTE(Babs @ Feb 1 2005, 05:39 AM)
QUOTE(Homer @ Jan 31 2005, 12:34 PM)

View Post

View Post

We will be there for quite a while. Things don't just turn over. The terrorists aren't going to quit. :ph34r:

If the terrorists stop the terror and the Iraqis can fend for themselves, we will still have to have a number of troops there to support the peace. The Iraqis will still need help. This is a long-term deal and one that we will be engaged in.

View Post

There is a good point there,just about every one says get them out know and if they did there would be even more blood shed than any one has seen before

If elections go well and elected leaders are in place very soon there will still be blood shed but limited

Coalition troops will still be needed there for some time to come not only to keep some kind of order but to train the new Iraqi police force and army

As they say finnish what you start and in my view hope fully they will

#15    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 12:52 PM

QUOTE(Babs @ Feb 1 2005, 01:39 AM)
We will be there for quite a while. Things don't just turn over. The terrorists aren't going to quit. ph34r.gif

View Post

I know things just don't turn over, but you're still not answering my question. I never said the coalition should withdraw within 18 months. What I said was that the coalition should withdraw when the Iraqi's are capable of managing their own country.
If the government is fully functional, and it's armed forces/police are strong enough to protect itself, and the industry is up and running, then the coalition should withdraw. If that takes 10 years, then we should be there 10 years. If it takes 18 months, then we should withdraw in 18 months.
That was my point, and that is my opinion original.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users