Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

So-called U.S. hostage appears to be toy

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

• "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 02 February 2005 - 03:32 PM

This is what Snopes has on the topic:
Claim:   Iraqi militant web site displays image of action figure toy identified as a captured American soldier.

Origins:   On 1 February 2005, the Associated Press reported that Iraqi militants had claimed in a statement posted on a web site that they had taken an American soldier hostage and were threatening to behead him in 72 hours if the U.S. did not agree to release Iraqi prisoners:

The posting, on a Web site that frequently carried militants' statements, included a photo of what that statement said was an American soldier, wearing desert fatigues and seated on a concrete floor with his hands tied behind his back. The figure in the photo appeared stiff and expressionless, and the photo's authenticity could not be confirmed.

Perhaps there was good reason why the authenticity of the photo could not be confirmed. The image that accompanied the Associated Press article was captioned thusly:

This image of what appears to be a captured US soldier was posted on an Iraqi militant website, Tuesday Feb. 1, 2005. According to the website, the militants threatened to behead the hostage in 72 hours unless the Americans release Iraqi prisoners. The claim could not be verified.

Here's a side-by-side comparison of the "captured American" image and a picture of a "Special Ops" action figure named Cody manufactured by Dragon Models USA. Note the similarities in the faces, uniforms, and weapons displayed in the two photographs:

Here is their photo of the action figure in the box:
user posted image

It looks like the same thing to me. I have not seen any sites that confirm that this "hostage" photo was actually on a miltant site...who knows....either way it was good for a chuckle...

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

#32    Babs

Babs

Alien Abducter

• 4,663 posts

• "Truth will first be ridiculed, then violently opposed, and finally accepted as self-evident" A. Schopenhauer 1788-1860

Posted 02 February 2005 - 03:45 PM

grin2.gif I don't believe it! I guess they could start sticking pins in the doll.

ohmy.gif I don't think I'd like that

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation"

Henry David Thoreau...

#33    Gmac1000

Gmac1000

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

• wisdom is not what you know...but what you do with what you know...

Posted 02 February 2005 - 04:36 PM

original.gif
QUOTE(Fluffybunny @ Feb 2 2005, 03:32 PM)
This is what Snopes has on the topic:
Claim:   Iraqi militant web site displays image of action figure toy identified as a captured American soldier.

Origins:   On 1 February 2005, the Associated Press reported that Iraqi militants had claimed in a statement posted on a web site that they had taken an American soldier hostage and were threatening to behead him in 72 hours if the U.S. did not agree to release Iraqi prisoners:

The posting, on a Web site that frequently carried militants' statements, included a photo of what that statement said was an American soldier, wearing desert fatigues and seated on a concrete floor with his hands tied behind his back. The figure in the photo appeared stiff and expressionless, and the photo's authenticity could not be confirmed.

Perhaps there was good reason why the authenticity of the photo could not be confirmed. The image that accompanied the Associated Press article was captioned thusly:

This image of what appears to be a captured US soldier was posted on an Iraqi militant website, Tuesday Feb. 1, 2005. According to the website, the militants threatened to behead the hostage in 72 hours unless the Americans release Iraqi prisoners. The claim could not be verified.

Here's a side-by-side comparison of the "captured American" image and a picture of a "Special Ops" action figure named Cody manufactured by Dragon Models USA. Note the similarities in the faces, uniforms, and weapons displayed in the two photographs:

Here is their photo of the action figure in the box:
user posted image

It looks like the same thing to me. I have not seen any sites that confirm that this "hostage" photo was actually on a miltant site...who knows....either way it was good for a chuckle...

View Post

I see that he his more equipped than the rest of the U.S military.  I wonder if Rumsfeld knows and is happy about this.   He would have the army using sling shots and pea shooters if he had his way.

Edited by Gmac1000, 02 February 2005 - 04:38 PM.

#34    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,855 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 02 February 2005 - 04:56 PM

QUOTE(bathory @ Feb 2 2005, 02:00 PM)
QUOTE(Stellar @ Feb 2 2005, 05:12 AM)
QUOTE(bathory @ Feb 2 2005, 04:32 AM)
So.... When did the US start issuing their GIs M-4s?

they used m4a1s in afghanistan?

View Post

The GIs? As far as I know, the GIs use M16s...

View Post

hmm well just from googling, it appears both are used:)

This link makes mention of both the m16 and m4 being standard

View Post

It mentions that tank crew and such have M4s... Didnt say that General Infantry have them.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

----Seraphina

#35    Gmac1000

Gmac1000

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

• wisdom is not what you know...but what you do with what you know...

Posted 02 February 2005 - 05:14 PM

What!!!???

#36    RaginCajun

RaginCajun

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

• "People ask for criticism, but they only want praise."
    - W. Somerset Maugham (1874 - 1965)

Posted 02 February 2005 - 05:21 PM

oh no...they captured a special ops trooper.  let's go save him...

something bush would say:

"leave no man, women and the special ops guy cody behind.  you know what i mean?"

wait, can a doll's arms bend like that???

Edited by RaginCajun, 02 February 2005 - 05:24 PM.

Apocalypse: I am the rocks of the eternal shore; Crash against me and be broken!
::Gambit crashes his jet into Apocalypse::

Jean: Jubilee, we come into this world alone -- and we leave the same way... The time we spend in between... time spent alive, sharing, learning... together... is all that makes life worth living. Uncanny X-Men  #303

#37    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,855 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 02 February 2005 - 10:01 PM

lol, send a message back telling them to go ahead, pop off his head and dump the parts ont he street. We'll reattach it and it'll be good as new. If we cant find a body part, we'll just replace it. No one will ever know the difference.

Better yet...

user posted image

Release John Adams and we'll release OBL! Deal!?

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

----Seraphina

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users