Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

TB Hospital in Evansville Indiana

stealingtime

There's a Tuberculosis hospital in Evansville Indiana, called Boehne Camp hospital. Some Friends and I have to make a documentary for our english class and we're trying to do it on this hospital. The only problem is that I can't find much information on the place. It's closed off now, though I plan to try to get in touch with the owner to see if we can make a trip through the place. I was wondering if any of you have heard of or been there before. I need to have some stories and facts and such to include with the documentary, and any information that you may have would be a great help. Also, if anyone wuld like to submit any personal stories, I'd be happy to include it with the documentary.

Edited by stealingtime

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stealingtime

• NME_locus

• scaramangaix

• topaz1121

I live 45 minutes from Evansville, and I've heard that the hospital is haunted, but I can't find any more information about it.

There is another TB hospital in Louisville, Kentucky, that has a lot of documentation and has been the center of several TV shows. You can learn about it here:

http://www.prairieghosts.com/waverly_tb.html

Hope someone else can find more information on Evansville.

Thanks original.gif I'll suggest that place to my group as well. I spent a lot of class time today looking up the hospital and all I could really find was a bit of information on why it hasn't been torn down (they're afraid it will stir up TB spores or something like that) but I'm not sure how true that is. I haven't been there yet, but some others in my group have, and they seem to be very interested in it. I'll post if anything else comes to light however.

• 4 months later...
Thanks original.gif I'll suggest that place to my group as well. I spent a lot of class time today looking up the hospital and all I could really find was a bit of information on why it hasn't been torn down (they're afraid it will stir up TB spores or something like that) but I'm not sure how true that is. I haven't been there yet, but some others in my group have, and they seem to be very interested in it. I'll post if anything else comes to light however.

480509[/snapback]

i was by that hospital and they have tore it down i guess from what i was told the owner was getting sick of the break ins and phone calls from different groups wanting to go inside so it thought it would be best to rip it down waverly is a nice place there taking tours now you have to go thru the louieville ghost hunters to get in it`s 20.00 for a 2 to 2 and half hour tour worth checking it out

There's a Tuberculosis hospital in Evansville Indiana, called Boehne Camp hospital. Some Friends and I have to make a documentary for our englih class persuading someone of our opinion, and we're trying to do it on this hospital.  The only problem is that I can't find much information on the place. It's closed off now, though I plan to try to get in touch with the owner to see if we can make a trip through the place. I was wondering if any of you have heard of or been there before. I need to have some stories and facts and such to include with the documentary, and any information that you may have would be a great help. Also, if anyone wuld like to submit ay personal stories, I'd be happy to include it with the documentary.

480062[/snapback]

Holy Crap....Evansville. That's where I'm from...in Houston now. Rietz Memorial High School baby....ahh..the good ol days. Lived off of Washington Ave .

Well as you know E-ville is pretty small so everyone knows most the area. I'm sure a few of you then will know of my High School called Rietz Memorial...built somewhere around 1910. What's cools is that there are still the signatures of people who went there dating back to 1911 or something like that. These signatures can be found on the walls of the auditorium backstage. Very old school..student attended in horse buggies way back when.

Where exactly is this hospital place located again?

Also, i believe the cemetery in Wyndott Woods/caves is haunted. After my friends foot broke through into a shallow grave i'm guessing, the gate swung close and hit us hard. These gates have rods which are planted into the ground to hold the gates closed but for some reason, it came up out of the ground causing the spring on gate to slam gate into us. Only way to do so is to pull metal rod out of ground, swing the gate open and stab the rod back into the ground. After we ran about 50 yards away..we were at our campsite. Funny thing is we swore we saw somebody jogging into the cemetery. Never was able to figure it out. The gate slamming into me was enough.....i was outty 500..Indianpolis Style to the finish line.

Edited by NME_locus

I have heard of this place, just do a few good search's,and you should find what you need;good luck

• 3 weeks later...

It was a shame they tore it down. I'm suprised there wasn't a backlash by one of the historical preservation groups in the area. I tracked down the owner, and they did not let me in. They actually seemed pretty annoyed by my asking. That family owns Diamond Lanes and some other things in town. I have a website that includes a brief history of the place and contains some pictures of the inside Children's Hospital that was torn down. I've been documenting some of the more interesting places around town and made a webpage to make everything available to everyone. BTW, I also went to Reitz Memorial High School. Haven't been in there since the addition, but it is a really neat old building. I've also been out to the state hospital several times. It's pretty interesting. I'm always looking for people to go with since every time I've been there has been a solo mission so if you are up for the challenge let me know. Here's the site.

The Recreational Trespasser

It was a shame they tore it down. I'm suprised there wasn't a backlash by one of the historical preservation groups in the area. I tracked down the owner, and they did not let me in. They actually seemed pretty annoyed by my asking. That family owns Diamond Lanes and some other things in town. I have a website that includes a brief history of the place and contains some pictures of the inside Children's Hospital that was torn down. I've been documenting some of the more interesting places around town and made a webpage to make everything available to everyone. BTW, I also went to Reitz Memorial High School. Haven't been in there since the addition, but it is a really neat old building. I've also been out to the state hospital several times. It's pretty interesting. I'm always looking for people to go with since every time I've been there has been a solo mission so if you are up for the challenge let me know. Here's the site.

The Recreational Trespasser

750617[/snapback]

Hell Yea....Reitz Memorial H.S rocks....class of '95 man......

• 6 years later...

There's a Tuberculosis hospital in Evansville Indiana, called Boehne Camp hospital. Some Friends and I have to make a documentary for our english class and we're trying to do it on this hospital. The only problem is that I can't find much information on the place. It's closed off now, though I plan to try to get in touch with the owner to see if we can make a trip through the place. I was wondering if any of you have heard of or been there before. I need to have some stories and facts and such to include with the documentary, and any information that you may have would be a great help. Also, if anyone wuld like to submit any personal stories, I'd be happy to include it with the documentary.

Yes I have heard of it and I have been there. My mother was interred there with tuberculosis for a couple of years around 1938. I wasn't born yet but my older sisters lived on the property in a special building for the children while my mother was being treated. My grandparents both worked there in the laundry for several years. My husband and I visited there a few years ago and walked around the property but it has been closed since the 1960's. At the time the property was wide open with no fences around it so you could walk up and look into the windows and there is still some old equipment still evident in some of the rooms.

Well..... As long as were on haunted TB hospitals....I used to break in the old condemned TB hospital on long Island called "the Edgewood bldg", at one time the highest point on long island, . And throw my empty beer bottles off with friends during a mis-spent youth with friends..... But that's here Noe there. My advise as an adult, would be to stay out!!! Very easy to fall down an open elevator shaft, or hole in a very dark dangerous place like that.