Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Running Dreams

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1    schadeaux

schadeaux

Ambiguitous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 04:43 PM

I used to be into dream interpretaion and how dreams might be a form of preconscience.  I came across the topic of "falling dreams" quite a bit, the ones where you find yourself falling from a building, a cliff, or just from nowhere.  Your heart is pounding, breath is short and fast.  That stuff.

I have those dreams occasionally, and they are cool once I wake up.  But what I have trouble dealing with is "running dreams."  Now, by this I don't mean your typical Olympic Sprinter running.  It's like I am chasing or following (or less often running from) something/one, I don't know who/what.  I sometimes start off running upright, like normal, but I always end up running on all fours, like an animal. This is especially noticable if I encounter stairs.  But running like that just makes me feel faster, more "natural."  And no, I don't recall ever catching or being caught by whatever, just that I had to run.

Any thoughts or ideas, your own experiances?                                                  

"To study and not think is a waste.
To think and not study is dangerous."
Confucius

#2    Halo_Jones

Halo_Jones

Psychic Spy

• 2,067 posts

• Thanks to Universal Absurdity and The Barman for my new Groovy Dynamite Diva.....See UA & thebarman's Animated Avatar Workshop

Posted 27 April 2003 - 05:28 PM

I have a dream where I'm at a nightclub having a great time, then when I go to the dance floor for a boogie, one of my legs is shorter than the other  huh.gif making it impossible to dance properly. I just get more and more frustrated as the DJ keeps playing all my fav music and I can hardly walk!!! wacko.gif                                                  

#3    Kismit

Kismit

Telekinetic

• 7,680 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 10:55 PM

Aww Halo that's awfull . I bet you don't get out as much as you would like . Must be frustrating .
Shadeaux I have the being chased dreams . My interpretation of those is that because I am often chased by a phsycotic axe murderer . Well the interpretation is that I am running away from my own personal bad habbits . They stopped when I accepted the fact that I am arogant at times . I hope that helps.  smile.gif                                                  

#4    Tommy

Tommy

Psychic Spy

• 1,846 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 11:49 PM

I used to have the being chased one quite a lot. salook.gif  

In my dream I would be petrified of what I was running away from, not exactly knowing what it was.  But to make the experience all the worse, I could only run in slow-motion.  I would get down as low as possible to really try and push my way forward.  Although I was never caught, it still felt pretty dreadful.  disgusted.gif                                                    

"Superstition created all the gods and angels, all the devils and ghosts, all the witches, demons and goblins, gave us all the augurs, soothsayers and prophets, filled the heavens with signs and wonders, broke the chain of cause and effect, and wrote the history of man in miracles and lies" ~ Robert Green Ingersoll

#5    Bizarro

Bizarro

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 12:09 AM

i think ive said this before but 90% of my dreams are about sex.  constant random sex with many, many women.  maybe not actual sex constantly, but lots of lusting, seduction, kissing, etc.  sometimes, they are so vivid that i wake up 'in love' with the woman i met in my dream.  i will even think about them for days afterwards.  ive had these dreams since childhood.  i remember being 5 years old and dreaming about meeting a naked woman in a tunnel under my street- this dream recurred for years with me meeting the same woman in the tunnel.  now a lot of these dreams are with my wife, but not all of them smile.gif

i am being totally serious.  i rarely have nightmares (maybe 1 a year), have never had a dream where i ran/fell/flew, and also have never dreamed about awkward situations.  i have an ability to control my dreams- almost like i can turn off a dream that i don't like.  i sometimes wake up while having a dream, maybe a really spicey one, and i will immediately go back to sleep and just pick up where i left off.  i love sleeping in on weekends because i dream much more vividly when i sleep for over 8 hours.

the other 10% of my dreams are achievement oriented.  i would say i am working on something in them.  they are like nonsense dreams though, i will try to wake myself and find something better to dream of.                                                    

if there was a meteor,
adrift amongst space,
set about on a collision course
not with Earth, but my face...
i wonder if id even know,
at what time i might,
be passed off like an old style
and by the meteor be smite?

- me, 1997

#6    SpaceyKC

SpaceyKC

Government Agent

• 3,349 posts

• Thank you TO

Posted 28 April 2003 - 01:04 AM

QUOTE (schadeaux @ Apr 27 2003, 12:43 PM)

I sometimes start off running upright, like normal, but I always end up running on all fours, like an animal. This is especially noticable if I encounter stairs.  But running like that just makes me feel faster, more "natural."  

That sounds like a Native American story about 'shape shifters'
          (not sure if that's the term) but like an episode from TXF, where
           the man is running and as he runs,  he slowly changes into
            a wolf.
             Don't know if  that helps at all,  schadeaux.  Maybe it symbolizes
            your desire to be free of society's restrictions ~ or wanting to let
              your spirit free.   smile.gif                                                  

"Science may have found a cure for most evils;  but it has
         found no remedy for the worst of them all --- the apathy of human beings."
                                                     Helen Keller

#7    schadeaux

schadeaux

Ambiguitous

• 1,887 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 03:51 AM

Thanks, KC.  I'm only part Indian, and I haven't payed much attention to the old lore and traditions.  Maybe I'll look some of it up again.

smile.gif                                                  

Confucius

#8    Kismit

Kismit

Telekinetic

• 7,680 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 09:06 AM

In my running dreams I was running away from an aspect of my self I wasn't comfortable with . For you Shadeaux you are chasing something , perhaps looking for some part of your self you want to know more about . It could be as simple as working on your out going nature or looking into your Native heritage.
  What feelings do you experience when you have the dream shadeaux?

#9    Sageghost

Sageghost

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 227 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 11:55 AM

I sometimes have dreams about running away from someone/something, but for me it's like I can't run fast enough to get away. It's like I want to run fast but for some reason my legs just aren't working properly. Sometimes it's accompanied by a strange sinking feeling in my gut that something's about to get me.

Two things occur that prevent me from analysing this further: 1.) I never actually get 'caught' so I don't know exactly what I'm trying to escape from; and 2.) I have a bad habit of forgetting my dreams almost as soon as I wake up.                                                  

I was just thinking that of all the trails in this life, there is one that matters more than all the others. It is the trail of a true human being.

#10    SpaceyKC

SpaceyKC

Government Agent

• 3,349 posts

• Thank you TO

Posted 28 April 2003 - 12:04 PM

Sageghost, I have the same luck with forgetting what I dreamt
            about.  I read somewhere that if you keep pen and paper by
          your bedside,  you should write down everything you can remember
           as soon as you open your eyes.  I actually did that once after a very
           bizarre dream,  and it read like a sci-fi movie.   laugh.gif                                                  

"Science may have found a cure for most evils;  but it has
         found no remedy for the worst of them all --- the apathy of human beings."
                                                     Helen Keller

#11    TheOracle

TheOracle

Psychic Spy

• 1,031 posts

• Artistic, quiet, musician Member of the
    Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps.

Ad mortem fidelis.

Posted 28 April 2003 - 12:16 PM

Good point KC  smile.gif . It is a good idea to keep a dream diary. If the dream or nightmare wakes you you should write it down imediately or do it as soon as you wake in the morning. It will help you to be able to analyse them later and eventually you will pick up more and more details of your dream.
It will also help you start to learn to be able to control your dreams to a certain degree.
I find that when I have dreams in the early morning, around 4 - 5 am'ish I am able to achieve this a lot better.                                                  

Never play Leap Frog with a Unicorn.

#12    Bizarro

Bizarro

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 01:46 PM

maybe you guys/gals need to try this... when you are having a dream when things are chasing you or you feel apprehensive just stop yourself and say out loud in your dream, "this is a dream, i can stop this, this is just a dream".  ive tried to teach my wife how to do this as she has lots of bizarre sessions where i have to wake her because she starts breathing heavily and moving around a lot.  she sometimes cries out in her sleep waking me.    

i rarely if ever have those type of nightmares.  for example, when i have a nightmare, i often stop the evil from hurting myself or others.   i don't run from things, but rather i turn and face them, secure in the knowledge that i will win.  my nightmares usually center around things that i cannot control, such as the death of a loved one.  they arent scary but i sometimes wake with a feeling of unease.

oh yeah, and i just remembered a common type of nightmare i have.  they are very grand in scope- like being awash on a giant raging ocean- but also very confusing and complex.  i will try to control them but there are too many other people/things to try and help/control at once.  like, i will see many people drowning or in need of my help and my desire to help will confuse my ability to control my dream.  sometimes, i have also dreamed of large caves or gigantic lands full of people that cry out.  i remember one dream i had a rope tied around me and i was dragging people from a cave but i awoke feeling sickened that i couldn't do more to help.  those are the dreams that bother me.                                                  

if there was a meteor,
adrift amongst space,
set about on a collision course
not with Earth, but my face...
i wonder if id even know,
at what time i might,
be passed off like an old style
and by the meteor be smite?

- me, 1997

#13    schadeaux

schadeaux

Ambiguitous

• 1,887 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 03:50 PM

You all make very good points, thanks.  

I have thought of the dream diary thing, though I have never tried it.  When I wake up I remember the dream quite clearly and think I will always remember it.  But it is mostly gone later by the time I remember I want to remember it.  

And the "just a dream" thing, DS, I have tried that with no luck during bad dreams.  But these running dreams I don't think of as bad.  I'm not afraid or anything in them, more exilerated.  I always want the dream to continue, but I just wake up before it ends.  And I don't think I ever pick up where I left off, start over, or ever really reach a conclusion.

I think the strongest thing about the dream is that I am doing something I have to do, and doing it the way it needs to be done (as an animal?).
huh.gif                                                  

Confucius

#14    Bloated Corpse

Bloated Corpse

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 05:43 AM

I have one dream that constantly reoccurs other than the nightmare that pops up occasionally about my accident. Anyways, this dream I am in an area where everything is all white the people, the cars, the buildings and the sky. I find myself running away from this guy in a white suit, white top hat, white walking cane and vivid green eyes. I'm not really afraid of him but I know I have to get away from him I'm not sure if it's a life threatening event or not. While I am running I keep looking back and he is always there but he's not running. I always end in the same building each time I have the dream.

Wabi Sabi

Wabi-sabi is the quintessential Japanese aesthetic.

It is a beauty of things imperfect, impermanent and incomplete.
It is a beauty of things modest and humble.
It is a beauty of things unconventional.

#15    Althalus

Althalus

Alien Abducter

• 4,906 posts

Posted 29 April 2003 - 07:50 AM

This is an entry in one dream book that I have:

running a fortunate dreamn of advantageous journeys and elevation in rank unless the dreeamer falls over while doing so, in which case misfortune is denoted. (gypsy folklore)                                                  

"We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences."
David Gemmell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users