Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

GHOST/PHANTOM SHIPS

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1    emmy

emmy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 07:33 PM

Ghost ships are usually linked to shipwrecks and disasters on water. They most often appears at the scene of the disaster on a stormy night, leading one to believe that some sort of  portal has opened, causing the ship to manifest itself, and to return to the world of the living, time and again&  Whie many reports of ghost ships seem to constitute residual hauntings& a type of haunting in which the energy of the entity remains behind in a certain spot or general location, playing out a traumatic scene, but not being subject to interaction& rather like watching a television re-run, or a videotape in repeat mode& many are, in fact interactive, active hauntings which sometimes produce dire results for the observer.

Ghost Ships                                                  

#2    Sageghost

Sageghost

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 227 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 10:01 PM

Great post Emmy - there's something about ghost ships that to me is extra spooky.

My fave's in particular relate to The Great Eastern and UB-65.

The Great Eastern

First launched in 1858, at the time this ship qualified as the largest ship ever made, and was almost 700 feet long.

Some people considered it jinxed as several people had died during her construction. A riveter had apparently vanished too.

Isambard Kingdom Brunel, who designed the Great Eastern, was the greatest artist ever to work in iron. He was remarkably thorough, and the Great Eastern reflected that care. It was to be a passenger liner, and no cost was spared in making it safe. It had a double hull. It was honeycombed with bulkheads that created almost 50 water-tight compartments.

A few hours after being launched one of the funnels blew up, killing 6 of the crew. In the first Atlantic crossing, passengers were disturbed by a dull hammering sound coming from below deck. In a particularly dangerous storm the paddle wheels were ripped away from the ship.

By 1864 she was no longer a passenger ship but was now a cableship in the Atlantic.

According to this site The Great Eastern ended her life in Liverpool, slowly rusting away until being scrapped in 1888.

It is reported that while ripping into the hull workmen found the skeleton of a man in between double hull layers. It is thought that the ghostly hammerings experienced so many years ago were from this poor unfortunate who had been accidentally sealed alive in the ship during her construction...                                                  

I was just thinking that of all the trails in this life, there is one that matters more than all the others. It is the trail of a true human being.

#3    SpaceyKC

SpaceyKC

Government Agent

• 3,349 posts

• Thank you TO

Posted 02 May 2003 - 10:27 PM

They actually heard sounds and then find a skeleton?  What
            a tragedy.   sad.gif                                                  

#4    Sageghost

Sageghost

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 227 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 10:51 PM

Hi KC - I found a 1944 article about the Great Eastern that goes into a lot more detail - this ship was very unlucky indeed. It also mentions the riveter's skeleton.

The Newspaper Archive search facility should be used. Search for The Great Eastern and then check the 1st search result. I had to register to see it (free m'ship though).

smile.gif                                                  

I was just thinking that of all the trails in this life, there is one that matters more than all the others. It is the trail of a true human being.

#5    Sidhe

Sidhe

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 188 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 11:46 PM

Hey that site is awesome!  Will make research much easier..

Thanks for the link!  smile.gif                                                  

#6    SpaceyKC

SpaceyKC

Government Agent

• 3,349 posts

• Thank you TO

Posted 02 May 2003 - 11:59 PM

Yes,  thanks from me too, Sageghost.  smile.gif                                                  

"Science may have found a cure for most evils;  but it has
         found no remedy for the worst of them all --- the apathy of human beings."
                                                     Helen Keller

#7    Kismit

Kismit

Telekinetic

• 7,680 posts

Posted 04 May 2003 - 09:02 AM

Nice find Guy's  , I'll check it out in more detail later though  smile.gif                                                  

#8    albaqwerty

albaqwerty

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 04 May 2003 - 11:55 AM

Thanks for the interesting links Emmy and Sageghost  biggrin.gif

Fascinating reading.

How could 'they' possibly seal a guy into that ship? Seems a bit suspicious to me but a tragedy nonetheless.                                                  

growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

#9    CASTOR

CASTOR

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 302 posts

• "If you can't get rid of the skeleton in your closet, you'd best teach it to dance." -George Bernard Shaw

Posted 04 May 2003 - 05:39 PM

I was watching a show on the Discovery Channel about ghosts and hauntings. they had an old war ship that the crew said was haunted. the dicovery team took some recorders and put them in the different places that people claimed to have heard or seen something. they got the recorders back the next day and there was some strange stuff on them. i dont want to try to say what was on there, cause i could be wrong. i dont like to spread misinformation. but i do remember there were banging sounds, like people that were trapped somewhere, and some voices. but i thought that was kindof cool. i wish i could remember more so i could give you guys some sound information. oh well.

CASTOR

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
- Galileo Galilei

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users