Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Teargas Fired at Anti-Bush Protest

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1    fearfulone

fearfulone

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

• Believe no one that believes you...Trust no one that trusts you...and for your own sake...don't listen to a word i say

Posted 22 February 2005 - 06:40 PM

Belgian Police Fire Teargas at Anti-Bush Protesters

59 minutes ago   Politics - Reuters

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - Belgian police fired teargas at hundreds of demonstrators protesting the visit of President Bush (news - web sites) to European Union (news - web sites) headquarters on Tuesday.

Teargas rounds were fired from a police truck after a petrol bomb landed among police in riot gear, a Reuters witness said.

A female police officer was injured and skirmishes broke out between the leftist protesters and police, who used trucks to push back the crowd from near the EU Council building where Bush was meeting EU leaders.

The demonstration had begun peacefully but turned violent when firecrackers and flares were thrown at the police. The street was left littered with broken glass.

Two previous protests against Bush's visit Sunday and Monday passed off peacefully with relatively small crowds.

Source

Trust no one that trusts you!

"you will need at least two more of the male variety to even pose a threat to us women... remember ... we can think with both the right and left sides of our brain!"
-nxt2hvn

CONSPIRACY I SAY!! CONSPIRACY!

"It's not the bad things that happen to you your upset about, it's the good things that happen to other people that piss you off."
-Robert Udall in 'As Good As It Gets'

#2    Athenian

Athenian

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

• Those who fear the coming Apocalypse, Thou are my enemy.

Posted 22 February 2005 - 06:57 PM

It seems like Bush is not going to make it back from Europe... unsure.gif

Edited by Athenian, 22 February 2005 - 06:57 PM.

#3    Talon

Talon

UM Chess Tournament Champion 2005

• 15,003 posts

• Life, Death, Anime inbetween

Posted 22 February 2005 - 07:20 PM

For god's sakes, its their country and the foreigner is the one who's treated like he owns the place.

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." -Plato

#4    bathory

bathory

Alien Abducter

• 5,302 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 03:16 AM

so you mean that the police weren't justified in using teargas to disperse a violent crowd?

Two previous protests against Bush's visit Sunday and Monday passed off peacefully with relatively small crowds.

^ how to demonstrate

Teargas rounds were fired from a police truck after a petrol bomb landed among police in riot gear, a Reuters witness said.

^ not how to demonstrate

#5    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 03:23 AM

I agree with bathory.
Bush is traveling Europe, and being welcomed by the leaders of Europe, for a variety of issues, all of which are an attempt to improve relations across the Atlantic.
These kinds of demonstrations causes the rest of the world to look down on the demonstrators.

אַ֭תָּה אֱלֹהֵ֣י יִשְׁעִ֑י

#6    AztecInca

AztecInca

Martian

• 9,013 posts

• All it takes for evil to triumph, is for good people to do nothing.

Posted 23 February 2005 - 03:55 AM

There is nothing wrong with peacful demonstration, its gets the point across and people will listen, when it becomes violent, people wont pay attention and will disregard all demonstartors for this behaviour.
The use of teargas was justified and the demonstrators who became violent should be ashaned of themselves because they have now made all the demonstrators look bad.

#7    Talon

Talon

• 15,003 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 09:30 AM

These kinds of demonstrations causes the rest of the world to look down on the demonstrators.

No, just cause America and Austrailia (the two countries who didn't sign up to Kyoto) do doesn't mean everyone else does. In Europe many will support these individuals standing up for there democratic right of speech even if while Bush is around it seems to be banned. Just because one or two demonstrations turn violent does not mean all anti-Bush demonstrators should be condemed.

Edit: Actually just ignore that Homer, I notice you used the 'these kinds' to already differenciate anti-Bush protests and violent ones.

Edited by Talon S., 23 February 2005 - 01:14 PM.

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." -Plato

#8    Walken

Walken

Deus ex Machina

• Banned
  • 10,249 posts

• "I've done everything you wanted me to do; so why did you do this to me?!"

Posted 23 February 2005 - 09:38 AM

I think it was warranted. They were throwing petrol bombs and all.

Posted Image

Finish The Fight - November, 2007.

#9    Talon

Talon

• 15,003 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 09:43 AM

Correction. A few people at one or two demos were. Anyway, it wouldn't have happened if Bush didn't bring it on himself.

#10    bathory

bathory

Alien Abducter

• 5,302 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 09:53 AM

. A few people at one or two demos were.

and thats why the police dispersed the group with nonlethal means

Anyway, it wouldn't have happened if Bush didn't bring it on himself.

he brought it upon himself? and the logical outcome is protestors throwing a petrol bomb at police? bahaha

There is absolutely no justification for what the way in which the behaved.

No, just cause America and Austrailia (the two countries who didn't sign up to Kyoto) do doesn't mean everyone else does.

so you mean the rest of the world loves violent protest? did you even read what homer wrote?  

In Europe many will support these individuals standing up for there democratic right of speech even if while Bush is around it seems to be banned.

wow you just love to make sh** up, subject is about teargas being fired at ONE anti-bush protest which turned violent, the article even mentions that they had  several peaceful protests the days before.  

Just because one or two demonstrations turn violent does not mean all anti-Bush demonstrators should be condemed.

noones condemning the anti-bush demonstrators as a whole, we are condemning the retards who were throwing objects (including a petrol bomb) at police. Reading every single post it everyone is incredibly supportive of peaceful protesting, i don't know where you are pulling this notion that someone is saying that all the demonstrators were bad.

Edited by bathory, 23 February 2005 - 10:01 AM.

#11    Talon

Talon

• 15,003 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 09:58 AM

he brought it upon himself? and the logical outcome is protestors throwing a petrol bomb at police? bahaha

There is absolutely no justification for what the way in which the behaved.

And the fact that he's he leader of the country right now polluting the world more than any other has no meaning?

#12    bathory

bathory

Alien Abducter

• 5,302 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 10:03 AM

And the fact that he's he leader of the country right now polluting the world more than any other has no meaning?

I still fail to see how this justifies a group of protestors lobbing a petrol bomb at their own police.

#13    warden

warden

Poltergeist

• 2,751 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 10:18 AM

There is no justification for this kind of action at all and no amount of twisting it will work,just accept it ,that is the wrong way to get your point accross

#14    Talon

Talon

• 15,003 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 01:16 PM

I still fail to see how this justifies a group of protestors lobbing a petrol bomb at their own police.

Oh, I'm not justifying attacking the police, they probably hate Bush too, get doing a job. I'm just saying that there are reasons why people are this angry, and instead of complaining about protestors, move thought should be given as to why the US President is hated this much.

#15    Talon

Talon

• 15,003 posts

Posted 23 February 2005 - 01:18 PM

There is no justification for this kind of action at all and no amount of twisting it will work,just accept it ,that is the wrong way to get your point accross

You ignore that in history civil disobedence has always been used by good to get its message across. Both Civil Rights movements and the Sufferogettes used violence on occassion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users