Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dowsing data defy the skeptics

UM-Bot

news icon rUsually, the boundary between science and science fiction is as distinct as the difference between the 6 o'clock news and "The Simpsons." Wherever the line blurs, you're bound to find contentious debates. One of the longest-running of these disagreements centers on dowsing, a supposed sixth sense that enables people to find underground water using a forked branch, pendulum or pair of bent wires.

There is no scientific reason why dowsing should work.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: Popular Mechanics

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UM-Bot

• Venomshocker

• Me_Again

• koenig212003

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive done some dowsing with rods, and was EXTREMELY skeptical. But man, it really does work!!!! Ya gotta try it for yourself in order to be convinced.

i've never tried finding underground water myself(it wouldn't be too difficult in ireland anyways tongue.gif ) but i've been able to locate hidden objests very accurately. 4 out of 5 times, and it was my first go at it.

i started a topic about it, and unfortunately i havn't gotten the response i was hoping for! i thought scientific explanations would be thrown at me from all sides, and maybe eventually i'd find one that actually trully debunks it...so far no good! tongue.gif

ah well, it's fun to play round with. thumbsup.gif

What a phenomenon...

Science has no input in dowsing, and yet it still works. 6th sense? Quite possibly...and how does it work? Science probably hasn't figured that out yet.

My pop had a dowser go and find a good spot for a well by his cabin. After he had found a spot, they dug down about a foot or two and water came up through. It has some of the cleanest, clearest, coolest, best tasting water I have ever had.

Like bees unaware they are too aerodynamically challenged to fly, dowsers don't let the skeptics get them down.

I liked that quote and this one...

As impressive as this success rate may seem, it doesn't do much to change the minds of skeptics. Their preference is to test dowsing under more controlled conditions. Back To The Lab

Controlled conditions sleepy.gifrofl.gif

As a scientist I'm required to be skeptical about things such as this but the truth is that I've tried it myself and it DOES work. Why..I have absolutely no idea, but it certainly did work for me on numerous occasions using bent wires!