Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

Score system suggestion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1    thebarman

thebarman

• 2,589 posts

• Avatar: A visual manifestation of your digital personality within a virtual world.

Posted 03 March 2005 - 02:55 PM

As a suggestion and to keep things fair, is it not better that everyone should play twice, once as black once as white? I know my strategy changes slightly depending on the colour I think others may too.

Then the results can be put into a table, simalar to a football league whereby you have a games played column, and W, D and L column, and a score. Everyone plays everyone twice, then a winner is declared?

Might take a while, but it's the chess tournement 2005, so we've got a while  thumbsup.gif

Posted Image
Click the signature to get your own animated avatar
Are you artistic? Like designing? Come and join the Avatar Workshop!

#2    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,840 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 03 March 2005 - 03:10 PM

I agree that doing it that way would be fairer, though the tournament will take twice as long if every matchup has to be repeated twice.

I'd like to hear some more opinions on this, as it would effect all those concerned.

What does everyone else think ? Should we play each match twice, or play each match once but tossing a coin to find out who goes white ?

#3    thebarman

thebarman

• 2,589 posts

• Avatar: A visual manifestation of your digital personality within a virtual world.

Posted 03 March 2005 - 03:18 PM

Well, I'm voting for the two games option, I don't like leaving anything down to luck or chance, i don't beleive in it.

I don't think it matters if it goes on longer, in fact I'd support it. I'm having fun playing so the longer the better if you ask me  original.gif

Posted Image
Click the signature to get your own animated avatar
Are you artistic? Like designing? Come and join the Avatar Workshop!

#4    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,840 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 03 March 2005 - 03:28 PM

I've just spoken to Blood_Angel and he's also in agreement. I certainly don't have any problem doing it that way, as long as nobody minds playing twice as many games.

As I say I'd agree that it would be a fairer system, looks like i'm going to be playing Thistle again  laugh.gif

I'll update the scoreboard and FAQs to reflect the changes.

#5    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,840 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 04:06 PM

Update
Moved this discussion into it's own thread.

#6    gollum

gollum

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts

• CHE GUEVARA
    "La Revolucion De La Gente Cubana"

Posted 03 March 2005 - 04:41 PM

I'm happy to play black and white.

Two hundred pounds? I'm not trying to buy cocaine!

Dougal: Oho, Ted, the Italians know about football, all right. And fashion. God Ted, do you remember that man who was so good at fashion, they had to shoot him?

Come here and play online chess @ Gameknot!

#7    Thistle

Thistle

Mighty Midget Queen of the Faeries

• 2,284 posts

• Stick Girl

Posted 03 March 2005 - 06:08 PM

QUOTE(SaRuMaN @ Mar 3 2005, 03:28 PM)

As I say I'd agree that it would be a fairer system, looks like i'm going to be playing Thistle again  laugh.gif

View Post

Woo Hoooooo !!!!!  devil.gif

Sounds fair to me as well...and absolutely nothing to do with getting revenge on Saru and Golly ..not at all.....never crossed my mind

w00t.gif

#8    Thistle

Thistle

• 2,284 posts

• Stick Girl

Posted 16 March 2005 - 08:42 PM

K here's another one.

I can't help but notice how many people are playing one move every 3 days.  Sooo.....how about, where possible we set the timeout to 1 day and timebank to 7 days?   Obviously that's not going to suit everyone, ie people who access the internet from work but I think we need to do something to hurry this thing along a bit or we'll still be here playing at Xmas. hmm.gif

P.S.....if this is a good idea it was mine.....if it sucks it was Talon's  laugh.gif

#9    Talon

Talon

UM Chess Tournament Champion 2005

• 15,003 posts

• Life, Death, Anime inbetween

Posted 16 March 2005 - 08:50 PM

I can't help but notice how many people are playing one move every 3 days. Sooo.....how about, where possible we set the timeout to 1 day and timebank to 7 days? Obviously that's not going to suit everyone, ie people who access the internet from work but I think we need to do something to hurry this thing along a bit or we'll still be here playing at Xmas. 

Yeah, I agree, I've got matches which are moving a move a day and some which haven't moved in days which is just holding us up from people who do want to play. There isn't really a reason, apart from playing from work, why a game can't be finished in less that 3 days max.

P.S.....if this is a good idea it was mine.....if it sucks it was Talon's

nice tongue.gif laugh.gif

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." -Plato

#10    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,840 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 09:12 PM

I have no objections, would help to speed things up a bit.

#11    Thistle

Thistle

• 2,284 posts

• Stick Girl

Posted 16 March 2005 - 09:21 PM

Woo Hoo !

ok, so every game I start from now on will have a one day timeout and 7 day timebank.

^advance warning  original.gif

btw.....it WAS Talon's idea....but I posted it so therefore take all credit  laugh.gif

#12    BurnSide

BurnSide

Through the Looking Glass

• 25,390 posts

Posted 16 March 2005 - 09:29 PM

I like this idea. Alot. I'm going to go with it too.

One day timeouts from now one, 7 day time banks.
All around!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users