Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Radio waves detected coming from center of Galaxy

UM-Bot

news icon rAstronomers have detected an unusual, powerful burst of intermittent radio waves emanating from the direction of the center of our galaxy.

Now the search is on to trace the source of the mystery radio bursts, or at least find more like it.

news icon View: Full Article | Source: National Geographic

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UM-Bot

• Ashley-Star*Child

• Steeler Mania

• coolhand

I hope it isn't Borg. grin2.gif

I thought we had been doing this for at 20 years...listening to signals in space...I wonder if it isn't something from our own planet that is interfering with these radio-telescopes. Like signals bounced of the moon or something of that nature. Just how far is the center of our galaxy from earth? Did they say what the frquency range was?

Edited by dmgspycat

Very very interesting.

Now i have a question,

Stars can transmit radio waves??

511935[/snapback]

Yes, It is referred to as white noise

Going along the lines with dmgspycat's post, because of the distance, how long would the signal take to reach earth? Just had a wierd revelation, probably nothing though. Life is abundant on a planet closer to the sun (in our solarsystem, we 3rd away, innersphere) Maybe same is with galexies?

This is really intresting. I wonder if the life out there is looking for life in space, same as we humans are doing. original.gif

Here is The Register news about this.

Edited by jonfr

Hey, the Drake is back with one of his crazy theories.

This is my gues. When people (and aliens?) die they go to the centre of the universe. There they live on and try to contact other planets together with Timestream. Maybe the signals are important messages. Or maybe i'm just crazy

WOW, alien radio. cool.

i wonder what music they listen to? do they have a special dance?

ok now with the maturity, couldnt it be just our radio waves bouncing back to us? it'd be soo funny.

well anyway keep listening to alien FM the onestop radio show for all your listening pleasure alien.gif

no.gif I don't think the radio signal is ours seeing that it's 24000 light years away. Unless of course your monkey like ancestors were listening to Music while hunting for grubs and berrys.

A 3 meter long wave would make it an am-Short wave frequency wich is noisy enough here on Earth. So hearing a pulsed signal could be any thing, even large rocks hitting each other.

Less than 100 hundred years ago we started making and using Radio and have changed the way we use it many times since then. If some one out there is trying to talk to us they may be using some thing we have not thought of yet.

Let face it, Grandpa would not have heard a Digital 900 HRTZ radio message. He would not have known what it was! ohmy.gif

rofl.gif Well why can't there be other people or type of people out there that hears the radio sounds that comes off of Earth. Maybe we have been looking in the wrong area in space to find them, they may have been trying to reach us for along time. We arenot as smart as we think we are, if there is other races out there who are smarter than we are. We have been sending our sig. back to Earth for a long time now, so they could not hear us like they use to, well maybe they have been doing the same thing as well, now they are looking for us now.

It's life, but it ain't aliens. Stars would be more to the point.

no.gif  I don't think the radio signal is ours seeing that it's 24000 light years away. Unless of course your monkey like ancestors were listening to Music while hunting for grubs and berrys.

A 3 meter long wave would make it an am-Short wave frequency wich is noisy enough here on Earth. So hearing a pulsed signal could be any thing, even large rocks hitting each other.

Less than 100 hundred years ago we started making and using Radio and have changed the way we use it many times since then. If some one out there is trying to talk to us they may be using some thing we have not thought of yet.

Let face it, Grandpa would not have heard a Digital 900 HRTZ radio message. He would not have known what it was! ohmy.gif

513384[/snapback]

no.gif

first off, if an alien race was broacasting a signal, more than likely we would not have the equipment to decode the signal. remember, humans have developed:AM, FM, SSB, video and digital, but what MODE of voice(?) communication has an alien race developed? hmm.gif Of course we have primative CW (morse code), but just stop for a minute and think, are they broadcasting in normal radio or video (radio & TV)? or is it Digital, or a mode we have not discovered yet? amateur radio operators routinely bounce signals off the moon..remember earth signals have different modulated sounds. Just listen to the amateur radio bands here on Earth...try it, with an AM reciever. Try listening around 174 mhz, listen for the buzz.....that is video.... rolleyes.gif

Also to prove a point, listen to some "earth noise and human stations" around 4.5-6 mhz...what do you hear? How about in the UHF bands around 700mhz? Or even try to listen up at 1200mhz...what do you hear? Even the 1.8 mhz band has a noise. blush.gif

the signals they are hearing are way below the sensitivity of any commercially available receiver.

9-12 ghz or higher. the signal strength of those signals is equal to about: 1 trillionth of a watt. a led light on your radio or tv uses a million times more power than that! yes.gif