Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Appearance vs. Reality

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1    schadeaux

schadeaux

Ambiguitous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 15 May 2003 - 07:02 PM

May 13— Joseph Connor's job as a cook at a McDonald's in Hamden, Conn., never materialized, and he thinks he knows why — lookism.

Connor got the offer after attending a job fair in September of 2000. But when he and other newly hired workers reported to the restaurant to prepare for work, they were asked their clothing sizes for uniforms.

The 37-year-old New Haven resident, who weighs around 420 pounds, provided his, including a size 54 waist, says his lawyer, Gary Phelan of Klebanoff & Phelan in West Hartford, Conn.

user posted image View: Full Article | Source: ABCNEWS.com                                                  

"To study and not think is a waste.
To think and not study is dangerous."
Confucius

#2    Althalus

Althalus

Alien Abducter

• 4,909 posts

Posted 15 May 2003 - 07:17 PM

A 54 waist should not make any difference to whether he gets the job or not.                                                  

"We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences."
— David Gemmell

#3    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,448 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 15 May 2003 - 07:20 PM

Shifted this one, I think it's more suited to the 'current affairs' board.

#4    djdodo

djdodo

Poltergeist

• 2,747 posts

Posted 18 May 2003 - 01:56 PM

I also agree with ((Althalus)) ... what the size got to do with a job ... the important thing is the ability to do it huh.gif                                                  

<span style='color:pink'>Luv is unpredictable. luv's Blind!
Luv is like a Diamond, when it brakes it turns in to dust.
Dont buy luv with money, it never works</span>

#5    FreyKade

FreyKade

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 18 May 2003 - 05:20 PM

i also agree, but the fact is, people do it anyway. i think that in health farms, you cannot work if you are above a certain waist                                                  

"isn't that intresting Dave, i mean every step you take down that chain, takes you one step further from your imagination"

i said
"you're right! youre a bit of a hippy, but you're right"
- Dave Gorman

"Wanna buy some pegs Dave?"
"I got some pegs belonging to you"
- Papa Lazarou

#6    Kismit

Kismit

Telekinetic

• 7,680 posts

Posted 18 May 2003 - 10:25 PM

Lookism  huh.gif  I don't know about this one . I don't believe people should be judged for the way they look , but your front people are your advertising and well maybe it was a factor that had to be assessed.                                                  

#7    Althalus

Althalus

Alien Abducter

• 4,909 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 07:49 AM

Maybe also, it was because McDonalds got sued recently for making people fat.                                                  

"We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences."
— David Gemmell

#8    Kismit

Kismit

Telekinetic

• 7,680 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 08:08 AM

Yep sadly it is something that has to be an issue .  sad.gif                                                  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users