Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Supreme Court refuses to consider propriety of stu

schadeaux

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Supreme Court refused Monday to consider whether students can be barred from taking their redneck humor to class.

Justices rejected an appeal from a school district that wanted the court to allow it to bar redneck attire. It was a victory for a New Jersey teenager suspended for wearing a T-shirt he bought at a Wal-Mart store. He also had been criticized for wearing shirts with the Confederate flag.

The case raised an interesting question about how far school leaders can go to prevent discipline problems, without violating students' free speech rights.

user posted image View: Full Article | Source: CNN

• 2 months later...

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• schadeaux

• Starlyte

• connecian

• espdracomth

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems like I've replied to a number of posts lately where people are being discriminated in one way or the other. I think people are embracing their individuality so much that the effects have long past what is right and wrong. Simply from one extreme: you have to wear this, listen to this, say this to the other extreme of: you can't wear this, listen to this, or say this. As for these schools it seems like home-schooling is fast becoming the only option (in my own opinion of course) where your child can be themselves. I don't have any children, but cannot even begin to imagine how things will be when I do. sad.gif

As for these schools it seems like home-schooling is fast becoming the only option (in my own opinion of course) where your child can be themselves. I don't have any children, but cannot even begin to imagine how things will be when I do. sad.gif

Starlyte: I agree with you about students being home schooled are the only ones who can be individuals. I also do not have children but work with high school teens.. and I know that they strive for indivisualty sometimes to such an extent. One thing I have learned that is the more attention you give teens ofr their indivduality the more they are going to push the gamit. I do send letter and articles to parents and teens.. some of the most are about what to draw lines on.

Their are so many issues.. I truelly believe that people should have their individuality and as time goes along.. people should realize that it is a great way for self esteem.

I myself am a teen & am glad the supreme court sided with us.The schools are

saying everything from earrings to hair color to what you wear is a distraction,but

its only a distraction to them our fellow classmates don't care what we wear, it's

these teachers that make too much of a big deal out of everything.Plus I very

hope home schooling won't be the means to an end because you miss out on

making new friends,& joining clubs & sports.