Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Canada Seal Hunt gets Under Way

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16    Irish

Irish

“The Mod Father”

• 4,932 posts

• Practice Random Acts of Kindness, they return to you!

Posted 30 March 2005 - 07:11 PM

QUOTE(Michelle @ Mar 30 2005, 12:53 PM)
Cows are cute furry things and I wouldn't want one killed by beating it on the head. I'm sure they don't all do it that way, but there are probably a lot of people still using that method.

View Post

Cows are killed by what is known as a bolt gun. It is essentialy a little retractable club in a barrel.
From what I understand from visiting Newfoundland is it a humane death for the little critters if the hunter is properly trained in useing his tool/club. Like those that hunt with bows and spears, improper techniques result in the animal suffering.
They use this method of kill because it is quite and does not disturb the rest of the herd. A gun shot would result in panic among the herd.

Most people do not want to know the truth they only want confirmation for what they think is truth.

#17    AtticusBlueprint

AtticusBlueprint

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

• This is true, this is real, this is Straight Edge, and Straight Edge means I'm better than you

Posted 30 March 2005 - 07:24 PM

I am just wondering how fast the seals die, and what kind of clubs they use and such. If they hit them over the head or in the neck couldn't they die instantly.

Posted Image

#18    Irish

Irish

“The Mod Father”

• 4,932 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE(AtticusBlueprint @ Mar 30 2005, 01:24 PM)
I am just wondering how fast the seals die, and what kind of clubs they use and such. If they hit them over the head or in the neck couldn't they die instantly.

View Post

If the proper techniques are used it is instant death and painless. The club itself is like a larger version of the fish bonker.

Most people do not want to know the truth they only want confirmation for what they think is truth.

#19    AtticusBlueprint

AtticusBlueprint

Psychic Spy

• 1,116 posts

• This is true, this is real, this is Straight Edge, and Straight Edge means I'm better than you

Posted 30 March 2005 - 07:37 PM

If the proper techniques are used it is instant death and painless.

Oh ok, but if it's an instant death then whats the difference between shooting it or just clubbing it over the head huh.gif

Posted Image

#20    Irish

Irish

“The Mod Father”

• 4,932 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 08:38 PM

QUOTE(AtticusBlueprint @ Mar 30 2005, 01:37 PM)
If the proper techniques are used it is instant death and painless.

Oh ok, but if it's an instant death then whats the difference between shooting it or just clubbing it over the head huh.gif

View Post

none, other than bullets are expensive and noisy

#21    The Russian Hare

The Russian Hare

Silent assassin

• 2,033 posts

• Boat Tailed & Hollow Pointed

Posted 30 March 2005 - 11:45 PM

I think the club would actually be more humane than shooting them. You hit 'em in the head and they won't feel a thing. The aftermath is messy, though.

[Image removed per request]

I was just wanted people to see how it's done.  Shooting them would not kill them as quickly.

Edited by Redneck, 31 March 2005 - 12:50 AM.

I plead the Fifth, but if you get pushy with me I'll plead the Second. Posted Image

#22    Lottie

Lottie

The Nappy Ninja !!

• 7,516 posts

• "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me." - Noel Coward

Posted 31 March 2005 - 12:40 AM

*puts head in hands* Is it really necessary to post such an image Redneck.

#23    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,717 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 31 March 2005 - 12:43 AM

Thank you...

#24    Mr. Blonde

Mr. Blonde

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 01:33 AM

Hey, hey, hey!! I'm Canadian and I DO NOT Aproove of this totally bullshit, I should be allowed to swear on this one because its absolutely fitting with whats going on, its definately not cool. Its some stupid ignorant people following tradition, some traditions suck, I know it, you know it. E'ff your tradition, bub.

hope you have some fun at UNIT 731

#25    tigger

tigger

Poltergeist

• 2,367 posts

• keeper of a greater magic... THE SCHWARTZ!

Posted 31 March 2005 - 05:49 AM

i think the reason why they dont shoot the animals is due the the damage the bullets do to the pelt.. as a lot of fashion houses (vuitton for one) use them in their clothing line.

you have to belt the animal with the club pretty darn hard to kill them.. nine times out of ten, you only will stun an animal if you beat them.. we had to learn to kill rats, mice, and rabbits (not physically.. only by video) in such a way where the animal would only be stunned, and then you had to break their neck to finish the job.. i personally could not ever shoot an animal or club it.. the only way i could destroy an animal is by lethal injection (lethebarb)

still, even if this is supposed to be culling, i think it is horrendous. its not human by a long stretch. and then the skinned bodies are just left out in the open.. if an animal is going to be killed. at least use the flesh to feed someone or something.. dont let it die for no great reason other than its pelt

'What do you do if you step on a mine, Captain?'
'Well, the usual procedure is to leap 200 feet in the air and spread yourself over a wide area…'

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!

#26    AztecInca

AztecInca

Martian

• 9,013 posts

• All it takes for evil to triumph, is for good people to do nothing.

Posted 01 April 2005 - 05:48 AM

After seeing the images in the nespaper and on the TV of ice turned red with the blood of baby seals and their tiny carcasses in massive piles all I can do is sahke my head in shame.

#27    jeceris

jeceris

Psychic Spy

• 1,553 posts

• THERE AIN'T NO DEVIL, IT'S JUST GOD WHEN HE'S DRUNK- TOM WAITS

Posted 11 April 2005 - 07:22 PM

sorry to bring this one back, the hunt off the newfoundland coast starts tomorrow, and here's an article written regarding the hunters side.
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/20...ford050411.html

ottawa senators hockey

there was THIS year

#28    Imagin

Imagin

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 21 posts

• chill I know I cant spell

Posted 11 April 2005 - 10:58 PM

First off canada rocks  thumbsup.gif  scondly red neck is a f@#$ing dumass thirdly the seal hunt is the stupidest thing in canada right know.

#29    The Russian Hare

The Russian Hare

Silent assassin

• 2,033 posts

• Boat Tailed & Hollow Pointed

Posted 12 April 2005 - 03:24 AM

QUOTE(Imagin @ Apr 11 2005, 05:58 PM)
First off canada rocks  thumbsup.gif  scondly red neck is a f@#$ing dumass thirdly the seal hunt is the stupidest thing in canada right know.

View Post

...says the guy who can't spell "dumbass."

I plead the Fifth, but if you get pushy with me I'll plead the Second. Posted Image

#30    Thanato

Thanato

Government Agent

• 4,093 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 12:23 PM

Tell me whats more human? Clubbing seals and killing most of them instantly, or dropping out a big drag net and catching hundreds of fish and suficating them?

Personaly i dont have a problem with the seal hunt its been going on for hundreds of years and in some cases is the only source of income of many of these Seal Hunters. The East coast relies on these hunts.

In many cases its more humane then hunting deer, because you shoot you hit, they run, fire again another hit, they slow down and fire again they collapes then you have to walk over to them and kill them at point blank.

~Thanato

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scrapping will remove the black parts!" ~Caboose

"I will eat your unhappyness!" ~Caboose

"Freedom isn't bought in stores, it is bought on battlefields." ~Thanato

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users