Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Questioning the speed of light

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1    Starlyte

Starlyte

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts

• Wisdom begins in wonder.
    --Socrates

Posted 21 May 2003 - 08:42 PM

I subscribe to Discover magazine and in the April 2003 issue there was an article about a scientist who is challenging Einstein's theory of relativity.  The link is below.  I would be interested in finding out what others think about this new theory dubbed 'VSL' which stands for Varying Speed of Light.

At the Speed of Light:  What if Einstein Was Wrong?  Discover Magazine

After clicking on the link above click on "recent issues".  It is about 3/4 the way down the page for the April 2003 issue and is the cover story.                                                  

The Earth has music for those who listen." - Shakespeare

Posted Image

#2    j6p

j6p

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 09:58 PM

It's been observed that the first light from supernova changes colors before becoming uniform. I would say that this makes a good argument for different wavelengths having varying speeds.
Personally I believe that the speed of light is not constant but my reasons are considered unorthodox at this time mellow.gif                                                  

#3    Starlyte

Starlyte

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts

• Wisdom begins in wonder.
    --Socrates

Posted 22 May 2003 - 04:55 PM

I'd say that someone questioning Einstein's theory could also be considered unorthodox.  To me that is the amazing thing about science; to be able to ask the questions and not be afraid of the anwers.  I would like to here your theory on speed of light.                                                    

The Earth has music for those who listen." - Shakespeare

Posted Image

#4    bigsteff

bigsteff

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 23 May 2003 - 12:26 AM

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2000/07/19/...ain216905.shtml

speed of light

http://www.abc.net.au/news/scitech/2002/06...617070959_1.htm

teleportation

ok people...aliens do not exist,,,ufos do not exist

right here goes you people at seti.........ufos are not visiting earth because of the time/distance between planets...right we can now prove that teleportation can happen...all be it a laser beam....a human thing on earth......so who is to say that aliens in ufos can't teleport from 1 area of space to another... we can't so that crap seti and goverments are coming out with is horse manure

the arrogance of humans will be their downfall.....                                                  

#5    Sidhe

Sidhe

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 188 posts

Posted 23 May 2003 - 02:42 AM

Indeed!

But scientists really do know that all their theories are provisional.

That's diff'rent from their take on UFOs tho.. they gets *paid* ta say that stuff..  huh.gif                                                  

#6    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 23 May 2003 - 03:28 AM

I believe that the speed of light is constant in a vacuum. But you are not going to find a true vacuum anywhere in the known universe, thanks to Cosmic Background Radiation. Just about anything can manipulate the speed of light. Obviously gravity and filters can, and perhaps heat can as well.                                                  

אַ֭תָּה אֱלֹהֵ֣י יִשְׁעִ֑י

#7    djdodo

djdodo

Poltergeist

• 2,747 posts

Posted 26 May 2003 - 05:30 PM

Well as I said before ... The speed of light : 10 billion years = one light year smile.gif                                                  

<span style='color:pink'>Luv is unpredictable. luv's Blind!
Luv is like a Diamond, when it brakes it turns in to dust.
Dont buy luv with money, it never works</span>

#8    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 19,817 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 26 May 2003 - 05:54 PM

*refers dj to his definition of a light year in This Thread*                                                  

#9    God18

God18

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 09:29 PM

But doesnt a black hole slow down time at its event horizon? If the gravity there is strong enough to bend time I am sure it must be strong enough to "slow down light".                                                  

#10    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 05:51 AM

The laws of physics-as we know them anyway-completely break down at the event horizon. Light literally no longer exists when photons reach that point                                                  

#11    God18

God18

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 07:14 AM

But how do we know it doesn't exist?                                                  

#12    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 04:28 PM

We know light doesn’t exist at the event horizon because of the nature of black holes. They are black due to the absence of light. At the event horizon, gravity is so strong that not even light can escape it. The event horizon is the point of no return                                                      

#13    God18

God18

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 11:47 AM

How is it something that can't escape doesn't exist. To not be able to escape from something you first have to exist.                                                      

#14    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 18 June 2003 - 02:36 PM

I guess I wasn’t as clear as I could have been.  Light is made of photons, and photons do exist at the event horizon. The event horizon is the point at which gravity is so strong that not even light can escape it. So it’s not that the photons don’t exist at the event horizon, but that the gravity is too strong for them to escape. What we see is reflected light, and without the photons being able to escape the dense gravity of the event horizon, we can never actually see the light from that point. That is why black holes are black, because at that point there is no light capable of being reflected. Once the event horizon is crossed, the laws of physics—as we know them—break down.                                                      

#15    neen

neen

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 04:22 AM

QUOTE (Homer @ Jun 19 2003, 12:36 AM)
I guess I wasn’t as clear as I could have been.  Light is made of photons, and photons do exist at the event horizon. The event horizon is the point at which gravity is so strong that not even light can escape it. So it’s not that the photons don’t exist at the event horizon, but that the gravity is too strong for them to escape. What we see is reflected light, and without the photons being able to escape the dense gravity of the event horizon, we can never actually see the light from that point. That is why black holes are black, because at that point there is no light capable of being reflected. Once the event horizon is crossed, the laws of physics—as we know them—break down.

How do you do it Homer??

sorry couldn't resist tongue.gif  tongue.gif  tongue.gif                                                      

Attached Files

Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens...-Jimi Hendrix

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users