Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Giant/Colossal Squids

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#106    Byuu94

Byuu94

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 03:09 AM

I'd just like to say that no one has a great white shark in captivity, let alone a giant squid.
I think that the change in pressure kills some of them, but salinity of the water as well as temperature changes may also play a roll. Sometimes when currents change many Archeteutis wash up on nearby shores.

Posted Image

"I think that people should make up their own minds for me." - Eric Idle

#107    Conspiracy

Conspiracy

Poltergeist

• 3,074 posts

• "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

Posted 23 June 2005 - 03:17 AM

QUOTE(Neo2005 @ Mar 20 2005, 02:29 PM)
Those are amazing
Maybe possible explantions for some sea monsters?

View Post

its believed that the giant squid are the culprits for the Kraken Myth

Posted Image

#108    CrazyHarry

CrazyHarry

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

• Crazy Harry plays with Electricity!

Posted 24 June 2005 - 12:10 AM

QUOTE(BurnSide @ Jun 23 2005, 01:18 AM)
Cool. Don't see what it has to do with the topic though. laugh.gif

View Post

Thought it might look cool.

Crazy Harry plays with Electricity!-Crazy Harry

#109    Apocalyptic Cryptid

Apocalyptic Cryptid

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 02:13 AM

Giant cephalapods...oh dude.. that is like my dream....its like the cutest creature IN THE WORLD super-sized...yay!

Peace

#110    Pilgrim Shadow

Pilgrim Shadow

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 164 posts

• Language is a virus from outer space
    --WSB

Posted 24 June 2005 - 06:46 AM

Boy, at least that "Exocell" was a hoax!  I was scared for a minute there!
grin2.gif

OK, you squidologists, how long do they estimate these giant squid and colossal squid live?  Do they continue to grow as long as they live, or do they reach a maximum size in early adulthood and stop?
dontgetit.gif

A functioning police state needs no police.
--William S. Burroughs

Posted Image

Who are the brain police?
--Frank Zappa

#111    Lunartix

Lunartix

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 04:08 PM

[QUOTE]I'd just like to say that no one has a great white shark in captivity, let alone a giant squid.
I think that the change in pressure kills some of them, but salinity of the water as well as temperature changes may also play a roll. Sometimes when currents change many Archeteutis wash up on nearby shores.

captive great white

This story is few months old, and I seem to remember that the shark was released after killing a tankmate, but no story I found mentions any such release.

Anyone know if they've still got it or not?

#112    CrazyHarry

CrazyHarry

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 401 posts

• Crazy Harry plays with Electricity!

Posted 24 June 2005 - 10:20 PM

Who want's to see a cheesie giant squid!?!

Attached Files

Edited by CrazyHarry, 24 June 2005 - 10:23 PM.

Crazy Harry plays with Electricity!-Crazy Harry

#113    BurnSide

BurnSide

Through the Looking Glass

• 25,390 posts

• “Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you.”

Posted 24 June 2005 - 10:26 PM

QUOTE(Pilgrim Shadow @ Jun 24 2005, 02:46 AM)
OK, you squidologists, how long do they estimate these giant squid and colossal squid live?  Do they continue to grow as long as they live, or do they reach a maximum size in early adulthood and stop?

View Post

I'm not sure about their life expectancy. However it's theorised that like clams and species of mollusks they simply never cease growing their entire lives, and continue to grow larger and larger until death.

#114    babayagafamiliar

babayagafamiliar

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 25 June 2005 - 12:04 AM

QUOTE(Walken @ Mar 20 2005, 09:56 PM)
That is scary. Glad it's not real tongue.gif

Cool if something like that was in GTA SA tongue.gif

View Post

amazing that I just had that thought the other day when I hijacked a boat and was stuck in the middle of the ocean with the weird shrooms about. Also consp, old viking sailors used to say that sea monsters were a sign of bad storms coming up and they were right because before a storm the air can twist normal animal into a freaky scary image (ie: a seal's head can turn into a sea serpent). There's a cool story of a group of vikings that saw a "Kraken" (giant/collosal squid) get stuck on some rocks, and it couldn't get out. The squid was so huge that when the body started rotting, you could smell it one mile or so away.

Edited by babayagafamiliar, 25 June 2005 - 12:09 AM.

#115    femaleg33k

femaleg33k

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 6 posts

• "The biggest mistake you can make in life, is to continually fear making one."

Posted 08 December 2006 - 05:53 AM

*shakes head*
Where to start, where to start.

5 points to the first person who explains the main difference, disreguarding the bigger size, between a Colossal and Giant Squid.

First off, hello and i'm new to the site, and second off, the main differences i can recall off hand is that the colossal squid (i believe) had a larger beak, also as you had stated, disreguarding the size, the other main difference is that within the suckers (what are they called again? lol) are hooks, they "apparently" penetrate the skin then the suction holds on to you, the big scars that you see on whales within the sucker holes are gashes, and these are what causes them.  although even cooler, is that when these hooks are in the skin they i guess you can call it "rotate" causing even more damage.

although it is quite a shame that no one has actually caught these in their natural habitat. it makes you wonder, birthing, mating, feeding... quite a shame we have yet to encounter this.

Oh, and i believe you owe me 5 points tongue.gif

#116    Raptorial

Raptorial

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 06:47 AM

I'm surprised no one has said a single word on this thread about the first giant squid adult captured on film recently.

My avatar created by thebarman in The Animated Avatar Workshop.

#117    SATUROS OF THE MARS CLAN

SATUROS OF THE MARS CLAN

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 27 posts

• Here we Go!

Posted 08 December 2006 - 08:20 AM

Cool do you have a link?

Posted Image

#118    ninjashoes

ninjashoes

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 01:01 PM

As amazing as these creatures are they are food for the true king of the seas, the sperm whale.

"We are all one" - Genki Sudo

#119    ~Onyx~

~Onyx~

The Wisest of Asses

• 7,141 posts

• They gave me life, I gave 'em hell.

Posted 08 December 2006 - 01:24 PM

First off, hello and i'm new to the site, and second off, the main differences i can recall off hand is that the colossal squid (i believe) had a larger beak, also as you had stated, disreguarding the size, the other main difference is that within the suckers (what are they called again? lol) are hooks, they "apparently" penetrate the skin then the suction holds on to you, the big scars that you see on whales within the sucker holes are gashes, and these are what causes them.  although even cooler, is that when these hooks are in the skin they i guess you can call it "rotate" causing even more damage.

although it is quite a shame that no one has actually caught these in their natural habitat. it makes you wonder, birthing, mating, feeding... quite a shame we have yet to encounter this.

Welcome to UM, Femaleg33k!!!...This thread is a tad-bit old...you might think about opening-up a new thread on this subject on: "the differences between Colossal and Giant Squid"....*Awards Fem 5 points and a trophy for Squid-info MVP*....I hope you open that thread soon, I'd love to comment on it......and again, welcome. thumbsup.gif

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit the views. Which can be unconfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."

#120    BurnSide

BurnSide

Through the Looking Glass

• 25,390 posts

• “Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you.”

Posted 08 December 2006 - 09:46 PM

Well, while you are quite right, i did say i'd award 5 points to the first person who could tell the difference. And you're, well, about a year late. sad.gif But i'll give you 2 points for the right answers, 1 point for reviving my favourite thread, and 1 point as an extra welcome to the site. grin2.gif

I'm surprised no one has said a single word on this thread about the first giant squid adult captured on film recently.

There was a different extensive topic devolted to the first captured images of a live Giant Squid. It was quite exciting. A year ago now though. Here's some caps of the japanese video footage:

IPB Image\

IPB Image\

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users