Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Posting News Articles

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    Magikman

Magikman

Most Exalted member of the first 15

• 6,280 posts

• "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur"

Posted 04 June 2003 - 12:29 AM

First, let me make it abundantly clear that this isn't meant to be critical or mean spirited in any way. It's just my personal observation and a request for clarification, for myself in particular and probably many others. Feel free to add your comments as you like, or ask further questions if need be.

I'm a little concerned with the news articles that are being posted, specifically to the main web site. Now I know Gareth is very appreciative to those who take the time and effort to make contributions, so please don't perceive this as a personal knock. However, this is primarily a website devoted to the paranormal and the unexplained, and I think it would be best if the articles that are posted were mostly dedicated to topics generally regarded as 'strange or mysterious'.  

Truthfully, we're overexposed in the 'real' world to media coverage of whatever passes as news these days, the more horrendous and reprehensible the better in the media's eyes it would seem.  Not much attention or coverage is given to the stranger stuff, though, which makes their listing here far more desirable and welcomed. Interesting tidbits and stories tend to disappear off the front page, however, when non-topical
news is posted. The longer the 'paranormal' topics remain on the front page, the more exposure the subject gets to those who visit on an irregular basis. If they were to come to the forum, they would have an enormous number of threads to search through just in the news category alone if they wanted to find interesting or even semi-current paranormal events or stories. Kind of self-defeating, don't you think?

Anyway, those are my thoughts. There are other categories like current events or world of the bizarre to post non-genre type news stories if you like, I just don't see their relevance or even their importance when they appear on the main web page. I also find a few of them a bit risque and inappropriate, but that's just the prude in me. tongue.gif

The question becomes, then, should the articles that appear on the main page concentrate on topics related to the 'genre', ie; paranormal, space, technology, the universe, etc., or am I just being a bit too fussy and overtly rigid?

Magikman                                                  

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. ~ Carl Sagan

"...man has an irrepressible tendency to read meaning into the buzzing confusion of sights and sounds impinging on his senses; and where no agreed meaning can be found, he will provide it out of his own imagination." ~ Arthur Koestler

#2    SpaceyKC

SpaceyKC

Government Agent

• 3,349 posts

• Thank you TO

Posted 04 June 2003 - 12:59 AM

You make a very valid point MM. wink.gif                                                  

#3    schadeaux

schadeaux

Ambiguitous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 01:30 AM

Very true, MM.  I apologize, and will curb my enthusiasm in the future.                                                  

"To study and not think is a waste.
To think and not study is dangerous."
Confucius

#4    Magikman

Magikman

Most Exalted member of the first 15

• 6,280 posts

• "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur"

Posted 04 June 2003 - 01:38 AM

No, no, no, schadeaux, you have nothing to apologise for, nor was this directed specifically at you. There really haven't been any guidelines or suggestions as to what we can post, or subject matter restrictions, I was just looking for feedback. Gareth is the one who decides important matters such as this, anything and everything could be all right for all I know. Don't curb your enthusiasm for my benefit, I was just making an observation.

MM                                                  

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. ~ Carl Sagan

"...man has an irrepressible tendency to read meaning into the buzzing confusion of sights and sounds impinging on his senses; and where no agreed meaning can be found, he will provide it out of his own imagination." ~ Arthur Koestler

#5    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 19,996 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 04 June 2003 - 08:24 AM

Ok, I think it would be a good idea just to clarify in general what sort of thing we're looking for in articles that are posted to the main news column.

Basically 'paranormal/unexplained' related news items are the most relevant, news of this subject is one of the main reasons a lot of people visit the site, especially those who may only stop by occassionally.

'Space/Technology' articles are also good, I think everyone here is interested in space and new discoveries relating to space. It ties in with the subject of the unexplained nicely, because it is mysterious, and new things are being found all the time. New science discoveries and unusual technological developments are also welcome.

I think the subject of 'Bizarre' news is what needs the biggest clarification, because it covers a large range of possible articles. Basically what I mean by 'bizarre', are things that are mysteriously bizarre, such as '2 headed terrapin discovered'. Things that are so strange it's hard to believe, in an unexplained sense, perhaps also with a touch of humour aswell.

The ones to avoid are basically articles that have nothing to do with any of the above. Any such articles will very likely fit nicely into the 'Current Affairs' or 'World of the Bizarre' boards, so don't be put off posting them completely.

As Magikman said above, I fully appreciate any and all article contributions from our news posters. I don't want to discourage anyone from posting news, I just wanted to take this oppertunity to clarify which sort of articles to post on the main news board, and what sort of articles to post in the 'World of the Bizarre' and 'Current Affairs' boards.

The main news column is the most commonly viewed area of the site, and so it's generally best to restrict the content of it to news items and articles that are related to the unexplained.                                                  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users