Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The Euro

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31    Tommy

Tommy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 15 January 2002 - 10:38 PM

Oops, forgot Ireland... :-X

You know Odin, you’re going to have to take those Euro-gloves off sometime. ;)

Tommy   

"Superstition created all the gods and angels, all the devils and ghosts, all the witches, demons and goblins, gave us all the augurs, soothsayers and prophets, filled the heavens with signs and wonders, broke the chain of cause and effect, and wrote the history of man in miracles and lies" ~ Robert Green Ingersoll

#32    Tommy

Tommy

Psychic Spy

• 1,846 posts

Posted 16 January 2002 - 05:27 PM

Talking of Ireland, it looks like they're leading the way in Euro forgery. ;D

http://news.bbc.co.u...000/1761894.stm

To catch the latest Euro blunders, check out EUROTRASH HERE  :D

And for a Euro-sceptic view of the UK joining the Euro (as if you really needed one ::))
check this site out... http://www.eufactsfi....com/index.html

Tommy    :D

"Superstition created all the gods and angels, all the devils and ghosts, all the witches, demons and goblins, gave us all the augurs, soothsayers and prophets, filled the heavens with signs and wonders, broke the chain of cause and effect, and wrote the history of man in miracles and lies" ~ Robert Green Ingersoll

#33    NessyK

NessyK

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 January 2002 - 06:40 PM

Whew!  What an argument - very excellently put by both sides may I add!

I would like to jump in here and say that as a person living on lower income in the UK that the most compelling reason for avoiding the euro from my perspective is the price hikes that business will bring upon introduction.

Before you international economists hit me with arguments can I just point out that this is exactly what has happened to branded goods in France and Germany in particular, and can't you just hear the car companies, oil companies and supermarkets slavering at the thought of all that instant profit to be made?  

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what people like you and me think, it's these guys that will push the Government forward.  Money drives money after all, doesn't it?

*cynically anti-establishmentarinistic in Hampshire, England*

(drat - I nearly got to use the longest word in the English Language, but I couldn't quite make it! -LOL!)

NessyK

#34    Tommy

Tommy

Psychic Spy

• 1,846 posts

Posted 16 January 2002 - 08:03 PM

If you’re looking for words of sesquipedalian nature, :D the Mary Poppins classic 'supercalifragilisticexpialidocious' is supposedly in the English Oxford dictionary. ;D

http://www.dictionar...ongestword.html

Tommy   :D

#35    Tommy

Tommy

Psychic Spy

• 1,846 posts

Posted 17 January 2002 - 10:48 AM

There’s an interesting article about the Euro and the 3 countries in the EU excluded from it and their prospects of joining over at economist.com HERE  :)

Nessy, the formal agreement between the members of OPEC will mean that the price of oil will always remain unnaturally high due to the massive restrictions of supply.  

However, this is not the case with the supermarkets and car companies, simply due to the huge competition they now face from all over Europe.  The only way they could achieve this would be to achieve collusion (an informal/illegal agreement, as opposed to a cartel), which would be almost impossible to organise.  

I agree with you in saying that companies are exploiting the public’s lack of knowledge of the Euro now, but this will (hopefully) change over time, as we become more accustomed to the and what it can buy us around Europe. We have to give it a little time.

Tommy

#36    odinsupreme

odinsupreme

Odin

• 1,097 posts

• Yes.

Posted 18 January 2002 - 07:37 PM

!!I LUV THE EURO!!

Odin Supreme 8)

PS,

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

0 user(s) are reading this topic