Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Morbach Monster

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1    Moonlight

Moonlight

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 09:21 AM

Anonymous
Have you ever heard of the Morbach Monster?

I first learned of the legend while I was stationed at Hahn Airforce Base, Germany. Morbach was a munitions site just outside of the villiage of Wittlich.

Supposedly Wittlich is the last town where a werewolf was killed. There is a shrine just outside of town where a candle always burns. Legend has it that if the candle ever goes out the werewolf will return.

One night a group of security policemen were on the way to their post at Morbach, when they noticed that the candle was out at the shrine, and all joked about the monster.

Later that night alarms were received from a fence-line sensor. When the security policemen investigated the call one of them saw a huge "dog-like" animal stand up on its back legs, look at him, and jump over the 7 1/2 foot chain-link fence. A military working dog was brought to the area where the creature was last seen, and the dog went nuts, not wanting anything to do with tracking the creature.

This occured around 1988.

If you guys heard any such stories or maybe had an encounter yourselves please post  happy.gif

#2    venom012

venom012

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 01:05 AM

I was stationed at Hahn Ab. In 1992. The tale of Morbach is true  to the villagers. The munitions site is actually where the village used to stand according to the legend they moved the town since they could not get rid of the werewolf menace. Also the candle was to keep the werewolf from coming to the new village.

I honestly think there is a big animal in that wooded area I have responded to many and I mean many calls by the munition workers about a large animal roaming the area. This has occurred both day and night. The only large animal that inhabits that area is a wild boar. Morbach is heavily wooded. The woods are so thick some parts are not passable even on foot and the munition site is 15 square miles. I have seen on three occasions that our fence was torn from the ground level coming into the site which is home to a ton of deer so I think this animal feeds on deer due to the fact I have seen many dead deer in that area. Well that is my two cents on Morbach. I do not think it is a werewolf but a big cat.

Another interesting fact about that part of German Frakenstiens castle is about  five miles from the site.

Edited by venom012, 11 May 2005 - 01:06 AM.

#3    Falco Rex

Falco Rex

The Winged Avenger

• 4,702 posts

• I'll write something pithy here later, for now just use it to advertise your band.

Posted 11 May 2005 - 01:14 AM

I like the big cat theory..If there's plenty roaming Britian surely the rest of Europe must have one or two, right?

On the other hand you mention being near frankensteins' Castle. Wasn't the original Baron von Frankenstein said to have been killed in battle with a dragon?
Hehehe..

#4    _Nyx_

_Nyx_

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 11,262 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 01:21 AM

** This turned up on a Mamma search
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Morbach Monster

Was it man or beast? Can the US Air Force be mistaken? The town of Wittlich is said to be the last place in Germany where a werewolf has been killed.

By Mike Burleson, 11/24/2002

The Legend
The town of Wittlich is said to be the last place in Germany where a werewolf has been killed.
Thomas Johannes Baptist Schwytzer, a deserter from Napoleons Army and a veteran of the disaster at Moscow, is fleeing to his homeland in Alsace. With him are a group of Russians, also deserters. While passing by the village of Wittlich, the hungry soldiers spy a farmhouse and decide to take what they want. In the midst of their scavenging they are discovered by the farmer, whom they promptly murder along with his sons.

The farmer's wife, seeing this foul deed lets out a wail and curses Schwitzer.

"From now on at each full moon you will change into a rabid wolf!" she screams in her anguish.

Schwytzer relieves her suffering by crushing her skull.

But the curse works. Gradually a change comes over Schwytzer. He becomes harder, without inhibitions. He robs, rapes, and murders at his pleasure. He soon departs from his fellows who have had enough, and takes up with bandits, and highwaymen. Even these ruffians are appalled at Schwitzer's excesses, so the ex-soldier flees to the sanctuary of the deep forests.

There the tales of a wolf that walks like a man will spread throughout the countryside. At night men and cattle are brutally slaughtered by the beast.

One night Schwytzer spies the beautiful daughter of a local farmer. Her name is Elizabeth Beierle, and in his carnal lust he rapes her.

Days later, while by his campfire in the woods, Schwytzer is discovered by a group of villagers who take him for the werewolf. They give chase and corner the fugitive near the village of Morbach. Promptly dispatching Schwytzer, the villagers bury him at a crossing. There a shrine is erected where a candle will burn continually. As long as the candle is lit, so the legend goes, the werewolf will not return.

Nine months later, a son is born to Elizabeth Beierles, whom she names Martin. To this day the descendants of this bastard child are a respected family in the vicinity of Morbach, and show no sign of the curse of their infamous ancestor, Thomas Johannes Baptist Schwytzer.

That is until 1988.

Morbach US Air Force ammunition depot
One evening a group of air force personnel are returning to their base at Morbach. Passing the old shrine they notice the candle is out. They begin to laugh and joke about this, for all have heard of the legend of the werewolf.

Later, at the base, automatic sirens peal into the night. Someone or something has activated the perimeter fence sensors. While investigating, a security guard spies a large creature, like a wolf, standing on its hind legs. It gazes at the soldier for a moment and then flees, clearing a 3 meter fence with ease.

A police dog is brought to track the beast, but upon arriving at the spot where the werewolf was seen, the canine trembles and howls, refusing to go further.

What was it? Some story made up to frighten new recruits? Or was it really a descendant of Schwitzer transformed into a wolf? You decide!

Regardless of the questions, the candle at the shrine is relit, and the creature has been seen no more.

#5    Tia

Tia

The Naughty Angel.

• 6,272 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 04:26 AM

What about a sassy?

If it's a heavily wooded area it would be the perfect habitat.

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. Gandhi.
HEY I WON!

#6    sibyll

sibyll

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 164 posts

• .Knit one, Pearl two.

Posted 11 May 2005 - 11:13 AM

i have heard of the morbach monster, along with peeter stumpf.  i have done a lot of research on werewolves and so called werewolf sitings. the thing about the sitings are is that the sitings happend either along time ago and by people who didnt see the whole animal. but the thing with peeter stumpf was that he was a real man who was convicted they actually killed him for thinking he was a werewolf. they broke his bones they decapitated him and put his head on a pike for a warning to other "werewolves" then pulled his flesh of with burning pinchers and to top it off they put the remnents of him atop a wheel.
happy.gif just thought i would add something to this.

Life is like an awesome video game, its great you love it you've wasted all your personal time on it and yet it still has a bad ending.
http://world4.monste...id&vid=47024076
http://world4.monste...id&vid=47062331

#7    sibyll

sibyll

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 164 posts

• .Knit one, Pearl two.

Posted 11 May 2005 - 06:01 PM

hey bout' time grin2.gif

Life is like an awesome video game, its great you love it you've wasted all your personal time on it and yet it still has a bad ending.

#8    Hoagy

Hoagy

Gravediggers union - Local 138

• 2,443 posts

• "It is a happy man who is loved and liked by everyone..."

~ Oinn, Hvaml

Posted 11 May 2005 - 06:05 PM

Lets not forget tho, that in many parts of Europe, time really has'nt advance much.  There are still people who live in superstitious fear of things that to us Westerners would seem a little odd, but that does'nt make them any less real to them.  If maybe it was a big cat, or a particularly large wolf (which do still roam freely in many parts of central Europe), then a frightened person could easily mistake it for something else.  It's amazing what you can 'see' in a terrifying situation.

It hurts more on the inside...
Posted Image
Zombie survival tips....

#9    sibyll

sibyll

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 164 posts

• .Knit one, Pearl two.

Posted 11 May 2005 - 06:10 PM

*points over to the far left* werewolf!!
jk its just my neighbor. therianthropes are interesting people to talk to, or at least people tell me i'm interesting to chat with, what do they know silly germans. they do have good beer i'll give em that.

#10    CyKa

CyKa

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 08:42 PM

I was stationed at Hahn from 1988 to 1991, and I worked at the Morbach depot a lot from 88-90.  It is a very large area, and at the time it had only perimeter lighting and lights on some buildings near the front gate.  It was true that there were several areas, mostly on the east side, that were heavily wooded, but for the most part the area was a tangle of open roads and steep, grass-covered burms.

We joked about the Morbach Monster, but usually only to scare the new guys.  I worked with several people who had been there since before the 1988 incident cited above, and none of them ever mentioned it to me.  The only stories I had heard were about one of the wild boars that the local forrestmeister kept in the area getting loose and chasing someone up a light pole.  Not freaked out dogs, no fence jumping.

If you have never seen a german wild boar, they look like a 4 foot tall brazil nut with tusks and legs.  They are dark brown and stinky and hairy and big and could easily be mistaken as some sort of supernatural beast.

Not to be a wet blanket, but I don't believe the story about the 88 sighting at all.  It would be just too hard to keep quiet, and there would be plenty of people who would be just too scared to ever work there again.  That place can be creepy enough at night as it is.

BTW, here are some links for the curious:
Lost Places
Energy Park - This is what Morbach is now.  The photo is from the south-west looking across the area.
Another view

#11    ROGER

ROGER

Government Agent

• 3,483 posts

• Sticks and stone didnt break my bone,
    But old age is starting to Hurt me!

Posted 24 June 2005 - 09:13 PM

One night I came home from work to find my 15 and 16 year old kids sitting on the front steps of our home. It was only 10:o'clock PM, and a storm had passed through shutting off the electricity in the area. I asked why they were out side and was told a Large Animal was in the house, banging all the doors.

After looking around I found some one had left the outside door to the garage open, and the wind was moving it, making a load noise.

My point is we live at the edge of town(3000 people) and yet when the lights went out, and the winds blew, my near adult children reverted to Their primal fears, of ghosts and animals, and other thing that go bump in the night.

We sit in our well lighted rooms surrounded by cars, telephones, computers and lots of people. But deep down we are still the cowering cave man looking for answers to the sounds of the night. How advanced are we really!

The world can't end in 2012, I have a yogurt that expires in 2013.

#12    GMAC

GMAC

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 10:12 PM

I was an Security Policeman ( SP ) at Hahn from 86 - 90 and spent a lot of time at Morbach. I heard all of the werewolf stories too, but never seen anything that would indicate to me that a werewolf actually was there. I walked that area all the time at night, and sometimes by myself. It was always fun to scare the new guys with stories of the werewolf, and then make them do a security check of the perimeter on foot ( the perimeter road was only accessible by foot). One of our K-9,s was this big black bovier with bloodshot eyes. We would always send that dog handeler to the backside of the area to meet the new guys with that dog. there was also reports of a German WW-2 soldier that roamed the area.

#13    Jeenuh

Jeenuh

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

• Who put such a high price on being typical?

Posted 05 July 2005 - 11:48 PM

Really weird. (Wow there's a lot of military on this site. tongue.gif)

blackbird singing in the dead of night.
take these broken wings and learn to fly.

#14    isis-999

isis-999

Goddess Of Darkness and Desire

• 5,312 posts

• The Bestowed Eye's of my God, Eye's of my past, lover of my future.. A Thousand's lifes all to live this One...The Steel Circle,

Posted 06 July 2005 - 03:11 AM

could this be a type of bigfoot? i just do not believe in werewolfs w00t.gif

Posted Image
THE BESTOWED EYE'S OF MY GOD... GODDESS OF DESIRE....http://paranormalborder.net/index/
Sig By: Arsenik...... My Favorite vampire!!

#15    Mongyu

Mongyu

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 124 posts

• "I wake up in the morning and I ask myself
    Is life worth living should I blast myself"
    2pac

Posted 06 July 2005 - 03:14 AM

WOW.. 7 1/2 Feet Fence! Crazy.. huh.gif

k
NR