Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What would you do?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#16    Amalgamut

Amalgamut

Government Agent

• 3,535 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 10:17 PM

[quote=mako,May 3 2005, 12:33 PM]
[QUOTE]You're right.

I was referring to the Bible.[/QUOTE
]So was I
[right]View Post[/right]
[/quote]

Well, good for you.  w00t.gif

Why tiptoe quietly through life just to arrive safely at death?

#17    Celumnaz

Celumnaz

Telekinetic

• 7,039 posts

• I don't know what I don't know.

Posted 05 May 2005 - 02:23 PM

telling someone about it isn't bad, acting like a pushy insurance salesman does no good though for sure.

I remember one time when I was like 5 or 6 running around telling everyone at some picnic that I had ice cream.  I was happy.  I wanted everyone to be happy like I was.  Some bigger kid knocked it out of my hand and laughed.  I cried.  

Some people just don't want you to be happy, or to tell them you're happy and why.  Now I don't usually tell anyone why I'm happy, I wait till they ask, and they do ask, why I always seem so happy and friendly.  Perfect strangers tell me "there's something about you" and I say thanks, it's God's fault.

But I remember another time back in Jr. High school I had a sticker of a cross on my trumpet case in band class and was called a sissy.  "Why?" I say... "Because you're a christian and christians and people who go to church are sissys."  Was later beat on some by those kids... yes, just because I was "christian".  So sorry if I paint aithiests with a wide hateful brush at times.  My life experience has been they're mean vicious brutal hateful jerks who look for believers to punish.  The devout ones.  The ones that say they don't know usually are ok, but the ones that say "there's no way nope no such thing never was never will be and that's a fact cause I know it" I fear fear.  They violent.  Always comes to a point (just like arguing with far left or right politicos) where they just lash out with the intent to harm.  Later in life I found it's not only physical, but financial they'll go after you too.

all my opinion experience, nothing directed specifically at anyone on these forums at all in any way

#18    Hoagy

Hoagy

Gravediggers union - Local 138

• 2,443 posts

• "It is a happy man who is loved and liked by everyone..."

~ Ošinn, Hįvamįl

Posted 05 May 2005 - 02:55 PM

QUOTE(QueenoftheNight @ May 2 2005, 04:23 PM)
I think it should be kept private, unless asked about what your beliefs are. Nobody should ever try to force a belief on someone else

View Post

agreed, if people wish to know, then questions should be asked.

It hurts more on the inside...
Posted Image
Zombie survival tips....

#19    nativechick1989

nativechick1989

Forum Divinity

• 22,956 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 05:54 PM

I don't think it's a good idea to force religion on anyone.  Some people do not like to be preached too!  When they're ready for religion, it will come to them - being whatever faith or denomination.

original.gif

#20    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,797 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 18 May 2005 - 04:44 AM

I don't have to preach my religion.  People come to me when they are ready to learn and sometimes when they are not ready.  I have told many people they are not ready or this is not what they are looking for.   You have to work at learning the craft.  It takes a lot of dedication and not everyone is willing to put in the time.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#21    BobaFett

BobaFett

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 147 posts

• Now wait a minute, just what the heck kind of priest did you say you were again!?!?-Trigun

Posted 19 May 2005 - 01:49 PM

People shouldn't try to force thier religious beliefs on others, because most of the time it'll make the listener feel VERY uncomfortable.  There's this one commercial I've seen lately regarding "Mormonism"(or what ever you call Mormons)  It started with 2 friends at a resurant, girl A and Girl B.  Girl B try's to talk to her frend, you know, get the conversation going, and asks if Girl A has read anygood books lately.  Girl A lights up and spends the next 2 min of the commerical explainging just how great the Mormon Testimate and how her friend, Girl B, should read it and enjoy more Jesus!  Even though its only a commercial and they were both actors, Girl B looked VERY uncomfortable while Girl A was talking to her.  The piont I'm trying to make is 99.99999999% of the time if you try to convert someone(over the age of 13), you wont succeed.   If anything, It'll just make them REALLY uncomfortable and maybe damage their friendship.

#22    Q-La

Q-La

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

• much to learn for a small cranium

Posted 19 May 2005 - 04:10 PM

The gospel did ask me as a christian to go forth and spreak the good news.  The thing is, here in 2005, nearly everybody has heard about it and has made their decision.  I would really like to have a way help others receive the good things I have received with christian beliefs but it seems like nowadays everybody is sure about their beliefs and disbeliefs, so I'll say, peace.

Edited by Q-La, 19 May 2005 - 04:12 PM.

Qrious at a healthy and happy level.
Examine and study the body
Analyse the mind
But the heart escapes scholarly devices

Verbal violence is the defense of those who think they know enough
You are what you choose yourself to be and you will find out who you are with what you do

#23    earom

earom

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 06:59 PM

If I'm asked what religion I am, and what it is about I will gladly share information, but I won't try to impose my religion upon anyone else, or try to prove that one religion is right, and the other wrong. It's all human opinion really.

#24    Discordia

Discordia

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

• "Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics, even if you win you're still retarded"

Posted 19 May 2005 - 07:21 PM

QUOTE(QueenoftheNight @ May 2 2005, 02:23 PM)
I think it should be kept private, unless asked about what your beliefs are. Nobody should ever try to force a belief on someone else

View Post

thumbsup.gif

'Humanity's first sin was faith; the first virtue was doubt.'

'Surgeon General's Warning: Quitting Religion Now Greatly Increases the Chances of World Peace.'

'The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art & true science. Whosoever does not know it & can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, & his eyes are dimmed' -Einstein

*Šiscordia

#25    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,873 posts

• The origonal Damneddirtytreehugging-
    paganhippiewerecougarrum pirate.

Posted 19 May 2005 - 08:47 PM

QUOTE(Darkwind @ May 18 2005, 04:44 AM)
I don't have to preach my religion.  People come to me when they are ready to learn and sometimes when they are not ready.  I have told many people they are not ready or this is not what they are looking for.   You have to work at learning the craft.  It takes a lot of dedication and not everyone is willing to put in the time.

View Post

Aye what he said.. only I don't do the craft.. I'm a different branch  of pagan.. X)

Doctor_Strangelove: If only I lived in a world with no risk of piss tests. Then I could just sit here and
watch videos on angelfish and become one with nature.

#26    Kismit

Kismit

Telekinetic

• 7,680 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 10:32 PM

That's the good thing bout pagans SC you are allowed to just be happy and believe that life is a gift without having to do any thing else. We even get to let others be happy with thier choices.

*Kismit swings from a different branch again.   original.gif

#27    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,873 posts

• The origonal Damneddirtytreehugging-
    paganhippiewerecougarrum pirate.

Posted 19 May 2005 - 11:05 PM

Aye... Love around... just dun stomp on me tail and tell me I can't X)

*jumps up into the tree and lounges on the branch next to Kismit*

Doctor_Strangelove: If only I lived in a world with no risk of piss tests. Then I could just sit here and
watch videos on angelfish and become one with nature.

#28    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 15,025 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 19 May 2005 - 11:23 PM

Since being at UM I've realized I'm rather a clost pagen so it seems. grin2.gif

Normally, I don't talk about what I believe because it will inevitably get me preached to. rolleyes.gif

#29    BobaFett

BobaFett

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 147 posts

• Now wait a minute, just what the heck kind of priest did you say you were again!?!?-Trigun

Posted 20 May 2005 - 12:21 AM

QUOTE(earom @ May 19 2005, 06:59 PM)
If I'm asked what religion I am, and what it is about I will gladly share information, but I won't try to impose my religion upon anyone else, or try to prove that one religion is right, and the other wrong. It's all human opinion really.

View Post

Whenever someone asks me what my religion is, I say "Jedi"  because A. it's slightly true, B.it sounds sarcastic enough to deliver the mesasage that I don't feel like discussing it with them, and C.they usually nod their heads politely and walk away.

#30    Amalgamut

Amalgamut

Government Agent

• 3,535 posts

Posted 20 May 2005 - 12:49 AM

QUOTE(BobaFett @ May 19 2005, 06:21 PM)
Whenever someone asks me what my religion is, I say "Jedi"  because A. it's slightly true, B.it sounds sarcastic enough to deliver the mesasage that I don't feel like discussing it with them, and C.they usually nod their heads politely and walk away.

View Post

Slightly true?

Why tiptoe quietly through life just to arrive safely at death?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users