Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Human future

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31    Bloated Corpse

Bloated Corpse

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 15 June 2003 - 07:56 PM

There might be proof that it could happen. Wouldn't you agree that some cases of dwarfism tends to cause the persons head to be bigger in realtion to their body? Smaller limbs and frame are technically supporting a bigger head. I know very small and incidental but somewhat of a possible glimpse at the evolution that could happen.                                                      

Wabi Sabi

Wabi-sabi is the quintessential Japanese aesthetic.

It is a beauty of things imperfect, impermanent and incomplete.
It is a beauty of things modest and humble.
It is a beauty of things unconventional.

#32    Space Moose

Space Moose

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 16 June 2003 - 12:33 AM

QUOTE (Bloated Corpse @ Jun 15 2003, 07:56 PM)
There might be proof that it could happen. Wouldn't you agree that some cases of dwarfism tends to cause the persons head to be bigger in realtion to their body? Smaller limbs and frame are technically supporting a bigger head. I know very small and incidental but somewhat of a possible glimpse at the evolution that could happen.

Well, that is a possibility, but not a very good one.  People affected with dwarfism have a great possibility of medical problems in their early years.  To focus on two things, there is the potential of hearing loss/damage and there are some locomotor problems which may occur.  Humans need to hear (to listen to the language that others speak and also to get auditory clues about our environment) and we need to walk (to get from place A to place B for a good many reasons).

Also consider that for Achondroplasiacs (the most frequent form of drawfism) there is a 1 in 4 chance that thier child would be homozygous for the trait and homozygous Achrondroplasia leads to death within the first year of life.  This is not a good trait for any species.                                                      

#33    Bloated Corpse

Bloated Corpse

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 16 June 2003 - 01:59 AM

QUOTE (Space Moose @ Jun 15 2003, 04:33 PM)
QUOTE (Bloated Corpse @ Jun 15 2003, 07:56 PM)

Well, that is a possibility, but not a very good one.  People affected with dwarfism have a great possibility of medical problems in their early years.  To focus on two things, there is the potential of hearing loss/damage and there are some locomotor problems which may occur.  Humans need to hear (to listen to the language that others speak and also to get auditory clues about our environment) and we need to walk (to get from place A to place B for a good many reasons).

Also consider that for Achondroplasiacs (the most frequent form of drawfism) there is a 1 in 4 chance that thier child would be homozygous for the trait and homozygous Achrondroplasia leads to death within the first year of life.  This is not a good trait for any species.

People that are born deaf can never hear anything in their life, yet they get along in their lives. People that are paralyzed cannot walk around their environment, yet they get along with their lives. As a species humanity can overcome whatever ailment, disability and disorder that inflicts them.

Theres also a 1 in 4 chance that any recessive set of parent can pass on genetic disorders such as xeroderma pigmentosum, hemophelia, hemochromatosis and countless others. For some strange reason, life has to gamble and let the dice ley where they fall.                                                      

Wabi Sabi

#34    Space Moose

Space Moose

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 16 June 2003 - 03:13 AM

QUOTE (Bloated Corpse @ Jun 16 2003, 01:59 AM)

People that are born deaf can never hear anything in their life, yet they get along in their lives. People that are paralyzed cannot walk around their environment, yet they get along with their lives. As a species humanity can overcome whatever ailment, disability and disorder that inflicts them.

Theres also a 1 in 4 chance that any recessive set of parent can pass on genetic disorders such as xeroderma pigmentosum, hemophelia, hemochromatosis and countless others. For some strange reason, life has to gamble and let the dice ley where they fall.

Our alturism is not reason to reduce a trait.  If you will notice, both of those types of people (moreso those who cannot walk) depend on the actions of others - others who are fully able humans - to make it through life.  If everyone becomes deaf and quadreplegic - we are doomed.  It could certianly be how we will evolve, but they are not good changes.

It may not have struck you, but those traits are not good things.  It would be great if these things never happened to people, but that day is unlikley to happen anytime within my lifespan or yours.  

#35    Bloated Corpse

Bloated Corpse

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 16 June 2003 - 04:22 AM

QUOTE (Space Moose @ Jun 15 2003, 07:13 PM)
QUOTE (Bloated Corpse @ Jun 16 2003, 01:59 AM)

Our alturism is not reason to reduce a trait.  If you will notice, both of those types of people (moreso those who cannot walk) depend on the actions of others - others who are fully able humans - to make it through life.  If everyone becomes deaf and quadreplegic - we are doomed.  It could certianly be how we will evolve, but they are not good changes.

It may not have struck you, but those traits are not good things.  It would be great if these things never happened to people, but that day is unlikley to happen anytime within my lifespan or yours.

I was in no way reducing a trait, I was giving examples to clearly dispute what you stated. Also if you notice that most of those types of people prefer to do things on their own without assistance. If everyone were to become deaf and quadreplegic then we would learn to handle those short comings in a way that would suit us. Adapt and overcome has been the motto of the human species for a long time and probably still will be for a long time to go.

I'm perfectly aware that genetic disorders are not good for the human population as a whole. I was merely pointing out other disorders that plague humanity, and yet as a whole they tend to live with what was dealt to them.                                                      

Wabi Sabi

#36    Nancy

Nancy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 16 June 2003 - 10:15 AM

QUOTE (Bloated Corpse @ Jun 15 2003, 09:59 PM)
As a species humanity can overcome whatever ailment, disability and disorder that inflicts them.

crying.gif
"As a species" perhaps, as an individual? Perhaps not. unsure.gif                                                      

dying is easy ... tis the living that's hard...

#37    Space Moose

Space Moose

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 20 June 2003 - 05:50 AM

QUOTE (Bloated Corpse @ Jun 16 2003, 04:22 AM)
I was in no way reducing a trait, I was giving examples to clearly dispute what you stated. Also if you notice that most of those types of people prefer to do things on their own without assistance. If everyone were to become deaf and quadreplegic then we would learn to handle those short comings in a way that would suit us. Adapt and overcome has been the motto of the human species for a long time and probably still will be for a long time to go.

I'm perfectly aware that genetic disorders are not good for the human population as a whole. I was merely pointing out other disorders that plague humanity, and yet as a whole they tend to live with what was dealt to them.

Sorry man, I must have missed this when you posted in a few days back.

It is certianly true that those people with a disability prefer to do things on their own, but you need to consider how "on their own" they really are.  A quadrepeligic person needs to be put into their wheelchair and they need their waste disposed of etc.  No matter how much they want to do on their own, they simply cannot and thus rely on the alturism of others to accomplish their day to day lives.  Without our alturism, they would die in short order.

If all humans became paralyzed from the neck down, we would cease to exist, I will stand firm on that.  We are not autotrophic so we need locomotion to get to our food.  To take a step in that direction is FAR too vast to be considered and in a good many ways would be a regression from where we are currently.                                                      

#38    exactspace

exactspace

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 January 2004 - 11:51 PM

I don't think humans will necessarily look like this  alien.gif  alien.gif  alien.gif but maybe not a human form at all. You have to remember technology is part of changing us, and it might continue to be a million years into the future.  This might cancel some physical changes from ever happening, but not all, who knows...who knows that this will ever happen too.  I think this could happen at different extremities. For example humans might almost be the same with the aids of technology.  Also, some genes may be passed down or not passed down because of chosen mates. Also, sadly too..in my opinion, people may choose to what their child will look like. In this aspect, the possibilities are endless! I think this whole evolution thing has took a huge turn because of the current explosion of technology that we see accelerating. How much will it continue to accelerate? Who knows, maybe this is where it stops for a long while, or it may keep going to amounts we can only begin to imagine.  Imagine this: a human..that maybe isn't so human because it's brain was removed to be put inside of a multiple-brain network machine.  The technology would cooperate with the human minds that are just in a state of Zen, or calculating mysteries of universe, or exploring art, or exploring the universe with external machines. Ya, ok I'm sick for thinking of this. lol.

#39    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

• "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 27 January 2004 - 01:38 AM

QUOTE (Space Moose @ Jun 13 2003, 11:50 AM)
And just how do these scientists propose that we support bigger heads and pelvises with smaller limbs?

I think that by then we will have the ability to use transporter technology... tongue.gif

Wouldn't that be great, when it is time to deliver, you just head to the hospital and they "beam" the little tyke right out of you...No Muss, Nof Fuss, No Contractions!

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

#40    Xenojjin

Xenojjin

Midnight Shadow

• 2,745 posts

• Ride the Air

Posted 27 January 2004 - 02:19 AM

I think humans are heading in the direction of developing psionic abilities , assuming the apocalipse does not come before then I wouldn't be surprised if telepathic communication becomes an everyday norm .  ph34r.gif  

Posted Image

#41    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

• "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 27 January 2004 - 02:24 AM

Somehow I sensed you were going to say that...

hmmm...you might be on to something...

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users