Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Man Defaces Virgin Mary underpass image

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1    Gabriel

Gabriel

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 02:51 PM

CHICAGO -- A man was arrested for allegedly scrawling "Big Lie" over a stain on an expressway underpass that some believed was an image of the Virgin Mary.
Authorities then painted over the stain because it had been defaced, police spokesman David Banks said Friday.
Worldwide, people have been drawn to images believed to resemble the Virgin Mary seen on windows, fence posts and walls.

One of the best known was an image on windows of an office building in Clearwater, Fla., that drew hundreds of thousands of viewers after it was spotted in 1996. Experts said the image was created by corrosion. The windows were shattered last year, and a teenage boy pleaded guilty to felony criminal mischief and sentenced to 10 days in jail.

http://www.wftv.com/news/4457924/detail.html

#2    _Nyx_

_Nyx_

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 11,262 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 03:06 PM

I'm not really all that surprised. It was bound to happen. He probably thinks what he wrote is going to change everyone's minds, but it won't.

#3    BurnSide

BurnSide

Through the Looking Glass

• 25,390 posts

• “Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you.”

Posted 06 May 2005 - 03:09 PM

Now i don't agree with that at all. I mean sure, i think the whole thing is baloney, but that doesn't give me the right to deface it. Many peoples beliefs are focused on these images, and no one has the right to deface them, deface these peoples beliefs if you will, because he or she thinks it's baloney.
sad.gif

#4    JennRose

JennRose

Poltergeist

• 2,284 posts

• All power rests on hierarchy: An army is nothing but a well-organized lynch mob.
    --Edward Abbey

Posted 06 May 2005 - 03:30 PM

Yeah, this man has basically made a martyr out of a stain.  It won't shake the believer's faith, it will just strenghten it.

How the hell did people see anything in that, anyway?  It looks more like the eye-witness drawing of mothman.

Edited by JennRose, 06 May 2005 - 03:31 PM.

Posted Image

#5    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 27,067 posts

• Paranoid Android... Gorram it kid, let's frak this thing and go home! Make it so!

Posted 06 May 2005 - 03:33 PM

QUOTE(JennRose @ May 7 2005, 01:30 AM)
Yeah, this man has basically made a martyr out of a stain.  It won't shake the believer's faith, it will just strenghten it.

View Post

Perhaps this was what he wanted.  A catholic defacing the statue for the benefit of his entire faith.  Now Catholicism is stronger than ever, he thinks....

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#6    Gabriel

Gabriel

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 03:38 PM

he could also be a butthead.......

it wasnt hurting anybody.

#7    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 27,067 posts

• Paranoid Android... Gorram it kid, let's frak this thing and go home! Make it so!

Posted 06 May 2005 - 04:03 PM

You're probably right.  I was only half serious posting it.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#8    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,575 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 06 May 2005 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE(Gabriel @ May 6 2005, 11:38 AM)

View Post

Well, if a whole bunch of people were congregating under the underpass to see the 'miracle,' perhaps it was slowing down his commute if he had to drive that way to get to work.

(is there a smilie for 'tongue in cheek?')

Embrace the impossible.

#9    Gabriel

Gabriel

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 07:05 PM

naa tongue.gif y go and spray paint it,y not just wash it away..

#10    __Kratos__

__Kratos__

-Staring-

• 25,876 posts

• As darkness falls, night unfolds ebony wings to wrap the world in it's dark embrace.

Posted 07 May 2005 - 05:17 AM

I found it greatly amusing that all those people were "worshipping" that stain, in the fisrt place. I checked it out, and it looked nothing like a person really. Its all the eyes of the beholder. It is just like looking up at the clouds with a friend and you seeing a dog while he sees a cat. All in your head!

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." ~Philip K. Dick

"Passion, peace. Strength, knowledge. Power, serenity. Victory, harmony. Freedom, the Force." ~Ashara Zavros

#11    GoddessWhispers

GoddessWhispers

Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated.

• Banned
  • 5,551 posts

• Blasphemy laws should be abolished. It would be a strange God indeed, that required protection by the judicial system.
    ~ Salman Rushdie

Posted 11 May 2005 - 07:40 PM

I use to live in Tampa Florida. People there were flocking to a nearby office building across the bay because humidity had made a Virgin Mary image appear in the glass.

The way I see it if someone can sell a toasted cheese sandwich on EBAY for a small $fortune because Mary appears in the toasting, people will pay or believe in anything.
I think it all speaks to the gullibility of followers in that they choose to believe a myth that says a god sent an angel to rape a virgin who then gave birth to a baby that knew, in it's consciousness from the beginning, that it was to grow up and be put to death via Rome's capital punishment device,  (Crucifixion) and then raise from the dead so that all peoples sins are forgiven forever as long as they believe the story. wacko.gif  

Is it any wonder that today a grilled cheese sandwich with a burn stain is moldering in someone's religious relic's collection and a man faces vandalism charges for defacing an iron stain on an overpass , just because there are people so willing to label such things as holy? Is it any surprise these things are the next evolution in the mentality that believed an outrageous story to begin with? (And one that is copied verbatim from the older mythology of Krishna!?) huh.gif

Posted Image
"(Oh Lord)If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there." Psalm 139:8

#12    Walken

Walken

Deus ex Machina

• Banned
  • 10,249 posts

• "I've done everything you wanted me to do; so why did you do this to me?!"

Posted 11 May 2005 - 07:44 PM

I think it was just a stain. We see more in it because our eyes are trained to, but it wasn't anything special. The guy, however, was wrong to deface something so special to other people.

Posted Image

Finish The Fight - November, 2007.

#13    Maekrix

Maekrix

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 365 posts

• "In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

Posted 11 May 2005 - 07:53 PM

Personally, I think that stain should be replaced by newly covered cement or something
Its just a stain-

oh wait, here in the dust on my desktop, I see Jesus' face! My good lord, its a sign.
devil.gif

Come'on people its just a stain.

Although, the above said, I disagree with defacing it, but not because of the idol-worship of it, but because its government/public property... Its in a bypass, so its grafetti. w00t.gif

Have you been touched by His noodly appendage?

#14    Shaftsbury

Shaftsbury

Transitional Fossil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 07:57 PM

I wonder what if anything they actually charged the guy with?  Defacing a stain?

Kind of silly to me when people have been littering the underpass with candles and flowers but I don't recall anyone getting a ticket for it.

"He hath need of his wits who wanders wide,
aught simple will serve at home;
but a gazing-stock is the fool who sits
mid the wise, and nothing knows."

from the Elder or Poetic Edda

The Isles of Aledeon - Roleplay World

#15    Hoagy

Hoagy

Gravediggers union - Local 138

• 2,443 posts

• "It is a happy man who is loved and liked by everyone..."

~ Ođinn, Hávamál

Posted 11 May 2005 - 07:59 PM

QUOTE(Gabriel @ May 6 2005, 09:38 AM)

View Post

well, it did hold up the traffic in an already notorious bad spot (I lose count of how many times I have sat in it!)

But yeah, there was no need for that.

It hurts more on the inside...
Posted Image
Zombie survival tips....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users