Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Organ Donation

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you plan to donate your organs? (32 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you plan to donate your organs?

1. Yes. (21 votes [65.62%])

Percentage of vote: 65.62%

2. No. (8 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. I don't know. (3 votes [9.38%])

Percentage of vote: 9.38%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16    TooFarGone

TooFarGone

Blissfully Chaotic

• 3,682 posts

• I am chaos at its finest

Posted 12 May 2005 - 01:01 AM

Why thank you......and your avatar inspired my current one.........I never realized where yours was from untill I read it in the avatar thread.

Too / FarGone
TooFar_Gone
TooFa/ rGone
TooFarG_one
T_oo/FarGone
Too/Far_Gone
Too_Far_Gone

#17    BurnSide

BurnSide

Through the Looking Glass

• 25,390 posts

• “Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you.”

Posted 12 May 2005 - 01:08 AM

And a nice avatar it is. grin2.gif

#18    TooFarGone

TooFarGone

Blissfully Chaotic

• 3,682 posts

• I am chaos at its finest

Posted 12 May 2005 - 01:11 AM

Shh...we should keep this as a secret.

And due to the people in my avatar, and the guy in yours............does it make us enemies???

tongue.gif

Too / FarGone
TooFar_Gone
TooFa/ rGone
TooFarG_one
T_oo/FarGone
Too/Far_Gone
Too_Far_Gone

#19    BurnSide

BurnSide

Through the Looking Glass

• 25,390 posts

• “Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you.”

Posted 12 May 2005 - 01:18 AM

Yes. But for now, we'll be going back on topic.

#20    __Kratos__

__Kratos__

-Staring-

• 25,876 posts

Posted 12 May 2005 - 04:24 AM

My organs are my own. You donate organs to save lifes, while the hospitals are making a very pretty penny off your flesh.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." ~Philip K. Dick

#21    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

• "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 12 May 2005 - 06:42 AM

They can have anything they want; I won't be using it. I have legal documents stating my wishes as well, and my wife knows.

I can't see why anyone would not want to donate; imagine the comfort that your family and friends could get from knowing that you donated a part of yourself to help others, and in a small way were still a part of this world...added to the fact that it is all going to rot anyway, and no one is going to see it ever again, it seems like such a waste to not do so...

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

#22    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 27,603 posts

• Paranoid Android... Gorram it kid, let's frak this thing and go home! Make it so!

Posted 12 May 2005 - 12:55 PM

I for one plan on donating my organs.

I don't know if it's just a U.S thing, but in Australia there are very strict laws about organ donations, which make it very much less profitable than in America, so I have no worries about them cutting me up while i'm still alive.  

Organ donation is not based on how much money one has, rather on the need of the patient.  

But then again, maybe that's just my perception of the AMerican/ Australian medical system.  If anyone knows for sure can they confirm or deny this?

Until next time,

P.S - if anyone ever watches the section "Live Organ Transplants" in Monty Python's Meaning of Life, you might change you mind on organ donation  grin2.gif

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#23    riotboy555

riotboy555

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

• Quick, for God's sake, cut off the lights.

Posted 16 May 2005 - 12:20 AM

I voted for on this, because I'm not going to need my organs when I am dead. thumbsup.gif

"We're here to rock you all, no matter what you believe in."-refused
*Signature removed, exceeds permitted size guidelines - Click Here for details. :(

"Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule." - Friedrich Nietzsche

#24    Mekorig

Mekorig

Government Agent

• 3,577 posts

• A Lithium flower about to bloom

Posted 17 May 2005 - 04:51 PM

Yep, i gonna to donate, because i dont see the necesity of keeping your organs after you died when someone else need more to live. We are biologic machines in a sense. When you died, its out, and your body start to rot. Use them for a better porpuse.

PS: Anyway, after the extract anything the need, i plan to have my body cremated. There isnt any need to keep my roting remains in the soil.

I´m an evil pinko UN slave liberal commie

I don't think any of these "The Vague Society of Nebulous Meanies are going to take over the world and light up a planet" theories worry too much about practical considerations like that. It's all about rousing ill-informed, paranoiac fear, not making sense.

--Jaylemurph

Posted Image

#25    101

PA's Girl

• 4,992 posts

• One half of the perenially, perpetually, purpotratedly, proudly, perfectly, placidly, pleasantly, purposely, presently promised couple to be on UM.

Posted 17 May 2005 - 05:43 PM

Yes because I won't need them and if someone else can benefit from my organs . Sure why not. I think it is great. I would love to do this. I would donate one of my kidneys now if someone i loved needed it. So I mean it is all about the person I guess.... tongue.gif

Posted Image

Just remember, you can do anything (that is physically possible) that you set your mind to.  All you have to do is believe in yourself.- Mako

#26    DarkEntity99

DarkEntity99

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 153 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 09:44 PM

All I can say is i wouldn't doante a finger nail for 25$
now 25'000 dollars and Up .. then we can talk.....
thank you come again.....

Im a Walking Dead Lost Soul

"I sit, and I watch, and I listen. Outside the rain is falling like tears. In the world where the children sit it is warm and bright. I sit in the same room as they do. We are separated by the distance between heartbeats. I am so cold."
-Dark Reflections

#27    RH2097

RH2097

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

• Fear the soul for it knows no fear.

Posted 18 May 2005 - 01:20 AM

Nope, they're mine and I need them, hence, why I have them to live.  Now if I died and someone needed them, then they can go nuts.

RH2097

Why is there enough religion to incite war, but not enough religion to instill tolerance?
Don't analyze my beliefs.  And I won't pick out the flaws in yours.
You tell me that I sin, You say I'm bound to hell, So once judgment condemns you, I shall see you there.

#28    LuQy

LuQy

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 12:02 PM

Hmmm.... ok I answered NO simply because my organs are probably in quite bad shape with my cholesterol levels off the chart  unsure.gif  hmm.gif so it would actually be harming others to use them...

Anyway, a lot of people seem to have religious reasons for not donating their organs. I still don't quite understand the validity of these. Does anyone here have any insight to offer into the religious aspects of organ donation?

Anyway, regarding religious reasons (Islamically) the following rulling applies:

1)      It is permitted to transplant or graft an organ from one place of a person’s body to another, so long as one is careful to ascertain that the benefits of this operation outweigh any harm that may result from it, and on the condition that this is done to replace something that has been lost, or to restore its appearance or regular function, or to correct some fault or disfigurement which is causing physical or psychological distress.

2)      It is permitted to transplant an organ from one person’s body to another, if it is an organ that can regenerate itself, such as skin and blood, provided that the donor is mature and fully understands what he is doing, and that all the other relevant shariah (Islamic Law) conditions are met.

3)      It is permitted to use part of an organ that has been removed from the body because of illness to benefit another person, such as using the cornea of an eye removed because of illness.

4)      It is unlawful (prohibited) to transplant or use an organ on which life depends, such as taking a heart from a living person to transplant into another person.

5)      It is unlawful (forbidden) to take an organ from a living person when doing so could impair an essential and vital function in his body, even though his life itself may not be under threat, such as removing one kidney or the corneas of both eyes etc...

6)      It is permitted to transplant an organ from a dead person to a living person when his life depends on receiving that organ, or when vital functions of his body are otherwise impaired, on the condition that permission is given either by the person before his death or by his heirs, or by the leader of the Muslims in cases where the dead person’s identity is unknown or he has no heirs.

7)      Care should be taken to ensure that in all of the above situations where transplantation is permitted, no buying or selling of organs is involved. It is not permitted to trade in human organs under any circumstance. However, the question of whether the beneficiary may spend money to obtain an organ he needs, or to show his appreciation, is a matter which is still under the research of the scholars.

8)      Anything other than the scenarios described above is still subject to scholarly debate, and requires further detailed research in the light of medical research and Islamic rulings...

Edited by LuQy, 18 May 2005 - 12:05 PM.

If you don't believe in the hereafter, what exactly are you here after ??

#29    Wings of Selkhet

Wings of Selkhet

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

• Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come. - Matt Groening

Posted 19 May 2005 - 01:38 PM

Just to clarify...I'm not talking about donating your organs while you're alive...I mean after you've died. tongue.gif

here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life;which grows
higher than the soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)

- ee cummings

#30    JMPD1

JMPD1

Child of the Universe

• 6,022 posts

• you want to know the answer? Hell, I'm still working on the question!

Posted 19 May 2005 - 06:00 PM

TO LuQy:  What are the prohibitions, if any, on a transplant or transfusion from females to males, and vice versa?

Just wondering since shariah laws are very harsh towards women.

Quote of the Year 2006: HAY! I did more then just say I wanna be ina a man sammich! - SC

You have the right to remain silent.  You might want to think about exercising that right more often

Not Another Moment Lost To Seizures

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users