Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

England needs its own Parliament

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16    dAz

dAz

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 201 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 07:46 PM

QUOTE(Lottie @ May 16 2005, 03:09 PM)
The toursit industry is going to be no different whether Scotland is independent or not. Whisky exports are more or less it...

I don't entirely agree with you there. The SNP for example proposed that with an Independent Scotland and I quote:

..."will have at its disposal the powers to make Scotland a more competitive place to do business, for example the power to cut business taxes."

Which in my opinion would have an HUGE effect on tourism.

As for summarizing Scotland's exports as "Whisky exports are more or less it... " is just ignorance.

Scotland has a other industries such as agriculture, fishing, textiles, oil fabrication as well as Whisky production and tourism. I'm sure there are plenty more. All of these industries would / could play a HUGE part in Scotland independence.

#17    dAz

dAz

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 201 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 08:00 PM

And if all else fails we can always rely on our water supplies to fall back on when other certain countries run out.

laugh.gif  tongue.gif

#18    Scar

Scar

Forum Bum

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts

• No man is an island, but some of us are pretty long peninsulas.

Posted 16 May 2005 - 08:11 PM

ohmy.gif

Who the hell is that Guy ?

dontgetit.gif

Obviously I agree with this Stranger  thumbsup.gif

****!!1one1one

#19    dAz

dAz

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 201 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 08:13 PM

QUOTE(Scar @ May 16 2005, 09:11 PM)
ohmy.gif

Who the hell is that Guy ?

dontgetit.gif

Obviously I agree with this Stranger  thumbsup.gif

View Post

laugh.gif

This from the man who dissapeared without a trace for near 3 months.

grin2.gif

#20    wunarmdscissor

wunarmdscissor

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,761 posts

• come on the hoops

Posted 16 May 2005 - 08:44 PM

daz has been around for more than a while lol.

Didnt you help set the site up daz?

Stand up for the Champions
'MON the tic an tiocfaidh ar-la

saorsa na h-alba

#21    Scar

Scar

Forum Bum

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts

• No man is an island, but some of us are pretty long peninsulas.

Posted 16 May 2005 - 09:04 PM

*Slap*

Aye Wun I dinae know him  laugh.gif

You remember me ?

Member in the Chat room Me, dAz, Thistle, Saruman used to be there all the time ?

****!!1one1one

#22    Lottie

Lottie

The Nappy Ninja !!

• 7,516 posts

• "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me." - Noel Coward

Posted 17 May 2005 - 10:32 AM

QUOTE(Blackleaf @ May 16 2005, 07:12 PM)
Three points -

1)  What do you mean "the goverment are finally putting money into Scotland"?  For YEARS and YEARS the British Government has been spending MORE, per capita, on things like Health, Education, Transport etc etc in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland than England.  So how do you mean the Government is FINALLY putting money into Scotland?  It's a well-known fact that the Government, for years, has been spending more money, per person, on Scotland than England.

View Post

I am not sure where you are getting your information from but the Tories completely messed up Scotland for years while they were in power. Scotland is the poorest place in the UK. For example, Have you ever been to Glasgow? BEFORE the money started being funded there? Glasgow is where my Father grew up, where my family grew up and I tell you something the people there had nothing, some have nothing still. The most likely career you would have at that point in time would be picking litter off streets. Scotland in the past has always been severely over looked.

2)  As an Englishwoman, are you happy to pay taxes for services that are used in Scotland and Scotland only?  Shouldn't just the Scots pay towards their own health Service, etc?

Correction I am British. I am not bothered about taxes in Scotland. Scotland is part of Great Britain. It is not a country outside of us, the Scots are not illegal aliens. I don't see the issue.

#23    warden

warden

Poltergeist

• 2,751 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 11:54 AM

And hear was Wun telling me last week that since labour have came to power there is no poverty in Glasgow,he has seen it from his nice side of the city looking over to the slums

It may be a little better in certain parts of Scotland since labour have came to power and we have set up our own parliment but we have a long long way to go ,poverty is still a massive problem that has been ignored by both parties in the past

And that from some one who is proud to call him self BRITISH

#24    Tommy

Tommy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 10:04 AM

I don't think it is if Scotland could survive without England as the reason for a totally independent Scotland, as of course it could to a certain degree.  It is more if Scotland can build on and sustain a standard of living it will be happy with, without funding from the UK government.  Some are keen to point out that Scotland has some of the poorest regions in the UK, but I donít think these will be solved with it becoming a totally independent State.  hmm.gif

When North Sea Oil was discovered in the mid 1960s, it gave Scotland the hope that indeed it could be economically viable to become separate and no longer rely on the UK government.  However recent evidence  suggests that North Sea Oil production has passed its peak, so I donít think Scotland would be able to depend too much on that as a stable factor for independence.

I don't entirely agree with you there. The SNP for example proposed that with an Independent Scotland and I quote:

..."will have at its disposal the powers to make Scotland a more competitive place to do business, for example the power to cut business taxes."

Which in my opinion would have an HUGE effect on tourism

lol daz, tongue.gif unless people will pay to go on holiday to see new Scottish firms setting up.  grin2.gif  Having the power to reduce corporation tax would provide a lot of flexibility to the Scottish economy, as many companies will see it as a more desirable place to set up.  Iíve used these examples before, but Ireland saw huge increased in investment with its low rate of 12.5% corporation tax.  The UKís rate is currently 30%, so Scotland could see a large increase in investment, but I don't think it would influence tourism.

Scar I think I found that report you mentioned, but by the looks of it itís a few years old. (before Scotland was devolved I think)  so I donít know how many of the arguments will still hold.

ARTICLES HERE

When we talk about devolution however it doesnít mean that the UK will cease to exist.  Only the principle of 'subsidiarity', that power is being delegated to be closer to the people it rules over.  The United Kingdom will still be a recognised entity, however the UK Parliament will have less emphasis on more regional specific issues, and greater influence in matters regarding the UK as a whole.  For example macro-economic policies, immigration, health etc.  

I donít like the way the government has tried to side-step the issue of English devolution by trying to introduce these regional assemblies.  If the Constitution is to be fair on all nations then England would have to be devolved.  Creating yet another level of Government in these regional assembles and abolishing local councils seems to be a bit of a waste of time I think.

Also, why do English taxpayers have to pay for services that are only used in Scotland?

Isn't about time that only the people of Scotland paid for those things, instead of English taxpayers having to pay for services that they don't use? An equivalent thing elsewhere would be for the French to pay taxes for the Health Service, etc, of Belgium.

What's wrong with this Government?

Well I touched on this in the other thread, but your argument on why English taxes shouldnít be used in Scotland I donít think is a very good one.  Surely living in any kind of Union you have to respect the fact that wealth has to be redistributed, otherwise what would be the point of taxing people if it wonít be used in areas that need it?  It is exactly the same in the EU, where countries contribute about 1.2% of their GNP, which for the UK works out to be about £2.5 billion.  While the French may not pay for Ďhealth servicesí in Belgium, you can be sure that they do subsidise a part of their structural operations (roads, infrastructure etc..), which accounts for 34% of the EU budget.

Info on EU budget

HERE'S a comprehensive economic profile of Scotland (pdf file) if anyoneís interested, pointing out that health above all has to be invested in if Scotland is to start enjoying a better standard of living.   thumbsup.gif

"Superstition created all the gods and angels, all the devils and ghosts, all the witches, demons and goblins, gave us all the augurs, soothsayers and prophets, filled the heavens with signs and wonders, broke the chain of cause and effect, and wrote the history of man in miracles and lies" ~ Robert Green Ingersoll

#25    dAz

dAz

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 201 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 08:23 PM

QUOTE(Tommy @ May 18 2005, 11:04 AM)
lol daz, tongue.gif unless people will pay to go on holiday to see new Scottish firms setting up.† grin2.gif† Having the power to reduce corporation tax would provide a lot of flexibility to the Scottish economy, as many companies will see it as a more desirable place to set up.† Iíve used these examples before, but Ireland saw huge increased in investment with its low rate of 12.5% corporation tax.† The UKís rate is currently 30%, so Scotland could see a large increase in investment, but I don't think it would influence tourism.

laugh.gif You'd be surprised what some tourists will pay to see LOL

But seriously I was actually refereing to the businesses and attractions which rely for the most part on tourist trade. These businesses and attractions that would benefit from cuts in taxes would have extra cash at their disposal. Which in turn could be used for investments such as expansions and generally improving whatever attractions / services they offer. In the long run (hopefully) generating more revenue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users