Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

England's children getting fatter

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#16    Blackleaf

Blackleaf

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 06:16 PM

However, Britain's OVERALL obese rates are lower than those in other European countries.

Germany, for example, has a higher obesity rate than the US, whereas Britain has a lower obesity than the US.

#17    SnakeProphet

SnakeProphet

My dearest serpent

• 2,476 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 06:23 PM

QUOTE(Blackleaf @ May 16 2005, 08:16 PM)
However, Britain's OVERALL obese rates are lower than those in other European countries.

Germany, for example, has a higher obesity rate than the US, whereas Britain has a lower obesity than the US.

View Post

Adults in Germany are fat, but I have seen only a few fat children so far.

Posted Image

Someone is gonna die if you listen to me.

I try to salvage thoughts long gone,
I am the mountain that dreams on.

I am the sea that longs for freedom.
lashing out towards my chains.

#18    Scar

Scar

Forum Bum

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts

• No man is an island, but some of us are pretty long peninsulas.

Posted 16 May 2005 - 06:39 PM

QUOTE(Blackleaf @ May 16 2005, 06:16 PM)

View Post

He said England, not fecking Britian.

Dont bring the celtic nations into this debate, Unless he meant Britian then thats another reason Celtic nations hate been English

****!!1one1one

#19    Blackleaf

Blackleaf

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 06:41 PM

A third of young Germans are fat.

56% of men are overweight, and 46% of women.

The obesity rates in EU countries are getting so bad that the EU has even created an Obesity Taskforce -

Europe takes action to fight obesity      

Written by Anastasia Tsakogia-Garaud  

Wednesday, 13 April 2005  

Obesity in Europe is critically rising particularly among children. The EU regulators decided last month to take the alarming data seriously and put forward measures to tackle obesity. A think tank was created to coordinate the work of different expert groups.

Poor nutrition and a lack of exercise are the main reasons of increasing obesity numbers both in adults and in children in Europe. In most European countries more than half of the population are overweight or obese. According to the figures provided by the International Obesity Task Force (IOTF), approximately 200 million adults and 14 million children across the EU are overweight or obese. The same study indicates that the number of overweight children is rising by around 400,000 a year.  

In most European countries, the overweight and obesity rates have increased during the last two decades. In some countries the EU RIVALS the US in adult obesity figures. In Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Finland, Germany, Greece, Malta and Slovakia, the percentage of overweight and obese people combined surpasses the 67 percent in the US. Nine European countries have male obesity levels above 20 percent, Greece and Cyprus reporting 27 percent. Greece shows 38 percent prevalence in female obesity. Countries with typically LOW rates in obesity, such as France, Netherlands and the UK, also see their figures significantly rising.

The problem in children and adolescents is terribly severe.  It is estimated that one in five children in Europe is overweight. Southern European countries are particularly affected, as processed food replaces the healthier Mediterranean diet. Malta, Sicily, Gibraltar, Crete as well as the countries of Spain, Portugal and Italy report overweight and obesity level above 30 percent among children aged from 7 to 11. Five countries report overweight and obesity levels above 20 percent for the same age group. For adolescents aged from 13 to 17, seven countries indicate above 20 percent, while in Crete overweight and obesity levels reach 35 percent. Sedentary lifestyle of children contributes to the rising figures, as European children spend more time in front of their television sets and computers and less time exercising.  

Obesity entails disastrous effects on health and life longevity. Obesity is linked to cardiovascular diseases, the main cause of death in Europe. It increases also the risk of high blood pressure, strokes, diabetes, respiratory diseases and cancer. Obesity involves also an important budgetary and economic cost. It is estimated to account for 2 % to 8 % of healthcare expenses.............

Anastasia Tsakogia-Garaud
Paris (France)  

http://www.newropeans-magazine.org/index.p...=2076&Itemid=88

#20    Blackleaf

Blackleaf

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 06:44 PM

QUOTE(Scar @ May 16 2005, 06:39 PM)

View Post

Dont bring the celtic nations into this debate, Unless he meant Britian then thats another reason Celtic nations hate been English

View Post

I know he said England, but I was talking about Britain.

I know for a fact that Scotland has far higher levels of obesity than England, with all those deep-fried Mars Bars that your kids eat.  It should come as no surprise to you that Scotland is the heart disease capital of Europe.

The English also hate you Scots.  Why?  Because English taxpayers are fed up with paying for services that are only used in Scotland and not England.

#21    Scar

Scar

Forum Bum

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts

• No man is an island, but some of us are pretty long peninsulas.

Posted 16 May 2005 - 06:57 PM

QUOTE(Blackleaf @ May 16 2005, 06:44 PM)
QUOTE(Scar @ May 16 2005, 06:39 PM)

View Post

View Post

I know he said England, but I was talking about Britain.

I know for a fact that Scotland has far higher levels of obesity than England, with all those deep-fried Mars Bars that your kids eat.  It should come as no surprise to you that Scotland is the heart disease capital of Europe.

The English also hate you Scots.  Why?  Because English taxpayers are fed up with paying for services that are only used in Scotland and not England.

View Post

I said I hate being english not that I hate the English you Egit sleepy.gif  

The reason Scotland has problems is because of the lack of healthcare for most poverty stricken area's in the UK.

Created by lack of funds by the UK government Under the fecking tories.

You obviously have a problem with Scottish people and using mars bar thing shows you use stereo types which is etremly narrow minded.

****!!1one1one

#22    Tommy

Tommy

Psychic Spy

• 1,846 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 07:12 PM

Blackleaf this is a false generalisation you are making.  I for one am English and I will not have you say we ‘hate’ the Scots.  If you do then that is your opinion, but because English tax-payers are or are not subsidising Scotland is not for the people of Scotland to decide as such, it is for the UK Government.  

The point of having a common Parliament is so that funds can be redistributed to help out in areas that need it.  Now can we get this topic back on track and leave out the myopic views please. This thread has nothing to do with tax expenditure in Scotland.

disgust.gif

"Superstition created all the gods and angels, all the devils and ghosts, all the witches, demons and goblins, gave us all the augurs, soothsayers and prophets, filled the heavens with signs and wonders, broke the chain of cause and effect, and wrote the history of man in miracles and lies" ~ Robert Green Ingersoll

#23    wunarmdscissor

wunarmdscissor

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,761 posts

• come on the hoops

Posted 16 May 2005 - 07:15 PM

tommy i apologise for what i sed in a previous thread BTW.

Stand up for the Champions
'MON the tic an tiocfaidh ar-la

saorsa na h-alba

#24    Conspiracy

Conspiracy

Poltergeist

• 3,074 posts

• "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

Posted 16 May 2005 - 08:25 PM

ya i use to be obese when i was 14, but i took care of that, now i just got a pot belly ^.^ theres barely anything there now,

anyhoo time to close down mc donalds!! xD

Posted Image

#25    warden

warden

Poltergeist

• 2,751 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 09:50 PM

Dont close any McDonalds as i would starve to death,once you have eaten a few burgers all you have to do is exercise to burn of the sh-t you have eaten,and we all know there are many ways to burn it of devil.gif

We seem to be living in a culture of fast every thing,parents need to sit down with their kids and educate them ,but many have not got the time to even do that.

Schools are trying their hardest but even they can only try so much

A weird thing hapened tonight when i was out working i took agood look at some fat kids and noticed their parents were fat,is it because the parents are fat and doing nothing about their weight they dont give a f-ck about their kids because they cant see nothing wrong with their selfs

#26    Kismit

Kismit

Telekinetic

• 7,680 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 10:19 PM

Thanks to these studies Kismit is employed. Obesity is the number one health problem amongst the young all over the world. With type 2 Diabetes on the rise amongst children, it used to be an old mans disease but it isn't any more.

Alot of it appears to be linked not only to sedentary lifestyles but to the amount of sugary fizzy drinks we feed our children. In the 50's children got sweet drinks at Christmas time and on special occasions. These days they are cheaper than milk and fill most peoples fridges. Pepsi, Coke, Fanta, Mountain dew and even flavoured milk and fruit juices are packed with unnecisary sugars. Children also need to be introduced to sports early , it doesn't matter if they are any good it only matters that they enjoy it. That way they will be more likely to return to it later in life.

#27    Kismit

Kismit

Telekinetic

• 7,680 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 10:23 PM

Warden, are you aware that the average fast food combo contains 26 grams of fat. In a day we only require 30 grams of fat and all the excersise in the world will still leave you with fatty build up in your arteries....  

Blagh!! Mc Donalds.

I like fruit, vegetables and water yummy.

#28    SnakeProphet

SnakeProphet

My dearest serpent

• 2,476 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 10:30 PM

QUOTE(Kismit @ May 17 2005, 12:23 AM)
Warden, are you aware that the average fast food combo contains 26 grams of fat. In a day we only require 30 grams of fat and all the excersise in the world will still leave you with fatty build up in your arteries.... 

Blagh!! Mc Donalds.

I like fruit, vegetables and water yummy.

View Post

It seems that you have knowledge about this subject.
Is there a way to know if you are overwheight?
I once heard about a formula?

Posted Image

#29    Kismit

Kismit

Telekinetic

• 7,680 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 10:39 PM

There are many ways of finding out if you are overweight but the best thing you can do is consult your Doctor. Your body weight may well be heavy for your height but your fat count could be almost nothing, or you could be healthy looking and skinny but your cholesterol might be sky high along with your blood pressure. Everyone needs to eat properly and above all excersise which I am just off to do myself. You've gotta practice what you preach original.gif

If any of this is no good for you, then there are bound to be sites dedicated to measuring peoples weight and working out if they are in the healthy weight range. All you will need is your height and your weight and they will calculate it for you.

#30    SnakeProphet

SnakeProphet

My dearest serpent

• 2,476 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 10:55 PM

QUOTE(Kismit @ May 17 2005, 12:39 AM)
There are many ways of finding out if you are overweight but the best thing you can do is consult your Doctor. Your body weight may well be heavy for your height but your fat count could be almost nothing, or you could be healthy looking and skinny but your cholesterol might be sky high along with your blood pressure. Everyone needs to eat properly and above all excersise which I am just off to do myself. You've gotta practice what you preach original.gif

If any of this is no good for you, then there are bound to be sites dedicated to measuring peoples weight and working out if they are in the healthy weight range. All you will need is your height and your weight and they will calculate it for you.

View Post

Thanks.I have no wheight problems, but i d like to know the percentage of fat in my body.I will have a look at those sites you mentioned.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users