Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The smell of roses

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1    saint seiya

saint seiya

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 204 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 05:45 PM

Well theres this legend in Mexico that when someone dies you start to smell roses.It is said that when you smell roses it means thatwhoever died is close. But has anyone heard of this?

#2    Ausaria

Ausaria

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

• Let it be most furious.

Posted 07 June 2005 - 06:49 PM

Or it could mean a rose bush is nearby and the wind is blowing.   happy.gif

|myspace|
| AIM: Lawlia |

#3    Mr Ed

Mr Ed

Duff

• 4,672 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 06:51 PM

I don't think much can be said here really. There was a recent thread about someone who kept smelling their great great great grandfathers scent but then they moved him from under the floorboards and the problem was solved.

Forum Boy

#4    NME_locus

NME_locus

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,786 posts

• "My job as a skeptic is not to deny the paranormal, but to flush out the fakes so that we focus on the claims worthy of being authentic."

Posted 07 June 2005 - 06:55 PM

I have heard of something similar. Some have smelt jasmine or perfume.

Edited by NME_locus, 07 June 2005 - 06:56 PM.

#5    TheOriginalF

TheOriginalF

Psychic Spy

• 1,453 posts

• "Well I'm sorry dad, I won't live in your...microwave oven world any longer. You people have carpet on your hearts!"

Posted 07 June 2005 - 06:58 PM

I would assume that it's just a myth or folk lore. As such I would imagine that the power of suggestion leads people to perhaps think they may be smelling roses even though they aren't.

<center>"Christ! I work hard all day, I expect a normal ham meal, not, not--Voodoo pork!"<center>
<center>Posted Image<center>

<center>8th Degree of the Steel Circle: May intelligence, rationale, and logic reign. <center>

#6    mcc0037

mcc0037

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 216 posts

• "My Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades!"

Posted 07 June 2005 - 07:15 PM

Whoah hold on a bit, I had a friend ( I posted it in the forum earlier) who kept smelling her dead grandmother's scent and I've even came across what she supposively smelled. Nothing came close to anything of that smell in her house or in the environment and NO the wind wasn't blowing. It had its unique floural comforting light smell that just wift over and she recognized that and her facial expression was priceless to what I've seen on her face. I give my friend good credibility when it comes to being honesty and I'll go on her gut feeling. Myth, yea in your opinion but for me who smelt what my friend smelled, I'd go with her because she knows her grandmother's scent but at first I was skeptic in my head. I respect everyone's opinions though but that is what my friend has came across and I did hear similar stories. Plus I have to defend what I experienced. Everyone is entitled to their own conclusions and if anyone hasn't experienced it or yet then obviously it might not be true in your opinion. According to the question, I really don't know about the Mexican legend of roses but if anyone has had an encounter or experienced or even knows more about the legend then please feel free to share.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#7    riotboy555

riotboy555

Psychic Spy

• 1,509 posts

• Quick, for God's sake, cut off the lights.

Posted 07 June 2005 - 07:45 PM

I was watching on the Discovery Channel something about a priest who had Stigmata, Padre Pio I believe, and that when people would ask for his help, they would smell roses. original.gif

"We're here to rock you all, no matter what you believe in."-refused
*Signature removed, exceeds permitted size guidelines - Click Here for details. :(

"Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule." - Friedrich Nietzsche

#8    saint seiya

saint seiya

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 204 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 07:49 PM

Well theres also the thing that when people are gonna die you can smell death on them(?) Or also the smell of roses. But you know I never experienced this.

#9    NME_locus

NME_locus

Psychic Spy

• 1,786 posts

• "My job as a skeptic is not to deny the paranormal, but to flush out the fakes so that we focus on the claims worthy of being authentic."

Posted 07 June 2005 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE(TheOriginalF @ Jun 7 2005, 06:58 PM)
I would assume that it's just a myth or folk lore. As such I would imagine that the power of suggestion leads people to perhaps think they may be smelling roses even though they aren't.

I see what your saying Original, but what if say you just just somewhere and an unusual smell occurred. For instance, i was doing a walk through of an old plantation my parents invested in. The whole house was empty and no one had lived in it for years. We owned it for five years but only stepped foot in it twice. We were trying to bribe my grandparents to move them to Texas. Anyways, I was doing a walk thru when I started getting a strong perfume smell. It wasn't strong enough to smell sunstantially, but enough to notice it and indentifying it. I still don't know where that smell came from. Probably nothing. It's just that I was not think of perfume or planned too.

#10    earthchick

earthchick

Geek of the Forest

• 1,435 posts

• I have CDO - that's like OCD, only in alphabetical order, as it should be.

Posted 08 June 2005 - 06:23 AM

I sometimes smell roses just before a migraine headache starts. I also smell ink before them at times. I wonder if scent memories in the brain can be triggered by other things, perhaps even a death.

Posted Image

#11    Walken

Walken

Deus ex Machina

• Banned
  • 10,249 posts

• "I've done everything you wanted me to do; so why did you do this to me?!"

Posted 08 June 2005 - 06:53 AM

I also would assume its just a myth or an urban legend, especially since the red rose is so closely associated with death.

Remember, during decomposition an unpreserved body would certainly shade out the weak smell of roses.

Posted Image

Finish The Fight - November, 2007.

#12    Falco Rex

Falco Rex

The Winged Avenger

• 4,702 posts

• I'll write something pithy here later, for now just use it to advertise your band.

Posted 08 June 2005 - 10:41 AM

I wonder if scent memories in the brain can be triggered by other things, perhaps even a death?

You've hit the nail on the head. Our olfactory senses play into our memory quite a bit. If a person has a unique scent we associate them with, then oftentimes, merely remembering them will trigger your brain into remembering and producing thier "Smell."
It doesn't just work with people either. If I were to talk about fresh-baked bread or frying bacon long enough, I'm sure at least a few of you would begin to smell it..
In the case Yawtza was talking about though, where two people smelled the same scent, it grows a bit more complicated..
As I remember; and correct me if I'm wrong; his friend had described this light floral scent to him in the past, however. So maybe the power of suggestion works in there too..
On the other hand, maybe not..

#13    Tia

Tia

The Naughty Angel.

• 6,272 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 12:14 PM

I've experienced the rose smell before, not to foretell a death though.

I'll repost the story..............

I thought I'd share a story of one of the spirits we had in our second house about 6yrs ago.
I went to my bedroom to do some ironing and left Ruby who was 6 at the time and L her younger brother watching tv in the lounge room. A little while later I heard L coughing and spluttering and realised he must have taken one of my cough lollies out of the kitchen and was now choking. I heard the whack, whack of someone hitting him on the back and assumed it was Ruby. I went down the hall to the lounge room and found Ruby totally engrossed by the tv and not paying any attention to L. I went upto L who had spat up the lolly and was still upset and red in the face. Next to him was a really strong smell of roses. I asked Ruby if she had helped her brother, but she didn't even realise anything had happened. I put it down to a protective spirit watching over him.

The story doesn't end though, about 2 weeks later I was ironing in my bedroom again when I smelt a really strong rose smell coming from the doorway. I said aloud show yourself. To my big surprise a figure started to form, I watched from the ground up as it appeared. A woman in an old fashion skirt and bustle with a fitted jacket. Before the face formed though I shut my eyes ( being the wuss I am ) and told the spirit enough.
Looking back now, I wished I hadn't. Not long after that we moved and I haven't felt the rose spirit since.

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. Gandhi.
HEY I WON!

#14    Lonecat

Lonecat

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

• Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
    Aldous Huxley

Posted 10 June 2005 - 04:31 PM

er,...Walken...that's the first I've heard about the red Rose's being associated with Death.   I thought that was the White Lily.   I've always known the red Rose to be akin with Love.  (Singing...) "I want some Red Roses for a Blue Lady. da-da, dee-dee, dee. dah di daah.... rolleyes.gif

But seriously folks,  a Philipino Friend of mine here in Madrid also told me that only days after the funeral in Manila of his best friend, he kept smelling the gentle aroma of Roses around eventide.  My Friend said that HIS friend's favourite flower was ...the Rose.   Just thought I'd mention it.   Lonecat.

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."   Aldous Huxley (18941963).

Thought is All.
All is Thought.

#15    ghost_fanatic_chic16

ghost_fanatic_chic16

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 34 posts

• Why is forever called forever when it feels like nothing ???

Posted 10 June 2005 - 05:16 PM

That's the first time I heard of that one.....lol, sounds a little weird though unsure.gif  unsure.gif

You can hate me now, but I wont stop now....(Eminem)
LINKIN PARK IS THE BEST !!!!!

Evanescence- Bring Me To Life

Wake me up inside, My heart is forever yours, hear i am bleeding for you and you have nothing to say but look me in the eyes and tell me were through....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users