Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

God is the one true god...

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#16    hyperactive

hyperactive

abu gaia

• 5,691 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 10:18 PM

there is no doubt about the references to other gods in the OT.  it is just that they all answered to one 'ultimate god'.

"He who knows not and knows not he knows not, he is a fool - shun him.
He who knows not and knows he knows not, he is simple - teach him.
He who knows and knows not he knows, he is asleep - awaken him.
He who knows and knows that he knows, he is wise - follow him. "
Arabia

#17    saucy

saucy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

• Peter Piper picked a pack of pickled peppers.

Posted 11 June 2005 - 07:27 PM

Ashley, you are mistaken in believing that Genesis is the first biblical book.  The bible is not in order of date written.  Job is actualy the first book of the bible.   yes.gif

#18    Apparition

Apparition

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 120 posts

• There is no place on the ground for someone who belongs in the sky.

Posted 11 June 2005 - 08:26 PM

The way i see it is this:

Religion is like the Constitution is over the U.S.
  -Guidlines to keep us equal and prevent chaos. ( Most religions of course. )

Other religions around the world are simply like the constitutions each of the states has that reflect that state. Different but in the end the same.

I do believe that the one true god is all dieties in other religions as well but casts himself in a way that place/people will understand or will adopt the ideals.

Thats just me. Flame away, i really dont care.

That whisper in the trees? . . . It's not the wind.

#19    Doccy

Doccy

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 91 posts

• Would you die for your country? - I'd rather live for it.

Posted 11 June 2005 - 09:15 PM

Yeah...haha. In the religious wars they ever thought that theyre fighting for the same God with just a different name. Duh... Human species is so aggressive.

Peeps...if God truly wanted us to believe in Him and just Him, he'd show a miracle to us or appear to us when we're gathered. The God you're worhshipping isnt important, your belief is. The purpose of belief is having a purpose in life I guess, maybe that's why humans have such a strong natural need to believe in some higher power.

Friggin mindless killing over Gods is stupid and crazy. It's just a damn excuse anyway for some political ambitions..

#20    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 24,123 posts

• Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 14 June 2005 - 01:24 PM

All the passages that Zandore brought up (in my opinion) refer to gods that man has created in place of the true and living God.  A lot of the time, the Bible refers to bowing down to an idol that man has created, which has led me to believe that all gods outside of the true God (YHWH) are false creations by man.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#21    zandore

zandore

EX-Christian

• 9,640 posts

• “I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.”
    Genghis Khan

Posted 14 June 2005 - 01:48 PM

QUOTE(BFG Posted Today @  09:24 AM )
All the passages that Zandore brought up (in my opinion) refer to gods that man has created in place of the true and living God.
laugh.gif There are 29 verses that I know of right off the bat that refer to more that one God. Want them?

If the rest were false idols why was God so against worshipping them?

"A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy,
education, and social ties; no religious basis is necessary.
Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear
of punishment and hope of reward after death."

Albert Einstein

Survey Says....

#22    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 24,123 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 01:51 PM

QUOTE(zandore @ Jun 14 2005, 11:48 PM)
QUOTE(BFG Posted Today @  09:24 AM )
All the passages that Zandore brought up (in my opinion) refer to gods that man has created in place of the true and living God.
laugh.gif There are 29 verses that I know of right off the bat that refer to more that one God. Want them?

If the rest were false idols why was God so against worshipping them?

View Post

Because that means people wouldn't be worshipping Him.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#23    JMPD1

JMPD1

Child of the Universe

• 6,022 posts

• you want to know the answer? Hell, I'm still working on the question!

Posted 14 June 2005 - 02:13 PM

And the very human emotion of 'jealousy' rears its head in the godhead figure.  Interesting.

Quote of the Year 2006: HAY! I did more then just say I wanna be ina a man sammich! - SC

You have the right to remain silent.  You might want to think about exercising that right more often

Not Another Moment Lost To Seizures

#24    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 24,123 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 02:18 PM

Our God is a jealous God.

Posted Image

#25    zandore

zandore

EX-Christian

• 9,640 posts

• “I am the punishment of God...If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.”
    Genghis Khan

Posted 14 June 2005 - 02:44 PM

QUOTE(BFG @ Jun 14 2005, 10:18 AM)

View Post

QUOTE(Acts 10:34)
Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons

QUOTE(Romans 2:11)
For there is no respect of persons with God.

Want some more on this line?

Albert Einstein

Survey Says....

#26    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 24,123 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 02:48 PM

QUOTE(zandore @ Jun 15 2005, 12:44 AM)
QUOTE(BFG @ Jun 14 2005, 10:18 AM)

View Post

QUOTE(Acts 10:34)
Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons

QUOTE(Romans 2:11)
For there is no respect of persons with God.

Want some more on this line?

View Post

I'm not really sure what your trying to get at here.

Those passages are in reference to God not showing favouritism to individuals, but accepting people universally.  It's not in any way being referenced to other gods.

Edited by BFG, 14 June 2005 - 02:50 PM.

Posted Image

#27    zandore

zandore

EX-Christian

• 9,640 posts

Genghis Khan

Posted 14 June 2005 - 03:05 PM

I'm not really sure what your trying to get at here.
That there is more to your God that you think or more than you know.

Albert Einstein

Survey Says....

#28    101

PA's Girl

• 4,992 posts

• One half of the perenially, perpetually, purpotratedly, proudly, perfectly, placidly, pleasantly, purposely, presently promised couple to be on UM.

Posted 14 June 2005 - 03:27 PM

Hey guys I got this from dailydevos.com it is an awesome example of idols and such. I will post it here. I found it very interesting it is about the false god Dagon.

“The elders understood clearly that if God was not ‘with’ them, defeat was inevitable... They mistakenly assumed, however, that wherever the ark was, the Lord was” [1]. The ark symbolized God’s presence, but didn’t guarantee it. By itself, it was just a box, like any other religious relic honored by the pagan nations surrounding the Israelites.

When the warriors marched into battle, the ark was nearby, but God’s strength and victory weren’t. The Philistines won the battle, captured the ark, and carried it back to their deity’s temple as a trophy of war.

Their chief god was named Dagon. Depending on who you ask, Dagon was either a god of grain or a god of fish. Either way, it was a false god symbolized by a dead idol in their temple. When the Philistines captured the Ark of God, they placed it next to the idol of Dagon. This is the part of the story that I love... When they came into the temple the next day, Dagon’s idol had fallen onto its face on the ground. They set it back up, and again it fell, only this time it broke into pieces. Then the people in the city started getting tumors, which they believed to be a plague sent from the Israelite God, similar to the previous afflictions of the Egyptians. So they moved the ark to another city. But the same thing happened there. People were getting sick and dying. So they begged their leaders to get rid of the ark. Eventually the Philistines loaded it onto an un-manned cart, and let two cows carry it off wherever they might go. [See chapter 5]

That’s a great narrative. We could use that as a sermon about idols. Anything that you value or prioritize above God is an idol. It doesn’t have to be a statue carved in gold. Idolatry can be the way you use your time. Sorry, no time for God. Idolatry can be the way you spend your money. Sorry, I need money for other things God. Idolatry can be your job, your habits, even your family or yourself. Anything that you value or prioritize above God is an idol.

Maybe you all will enjoy it too.  tongue.gif

Posted Image

Just remember, you can do anything (that is physically possible) that you set your mind to.  All you have to do is believe in yourself.- Mako

#29    JMPD1

JMPD1

Child of the Universe

• 6,022 posts

• you want to know the answer? Hell, I'm still working on the question!

Posted 14 June 2005 - 03:38 PM

So I guess we should all dispose of our homes, our possessions, and our clothes in order to sit on the ground and worship the sky god, because anything less is 'idolatry'.

Quote of the Year 2006: HAY! I did more then just say I wanna be ina a man sammich! - SC

You have the right to remain silent.  You might want to think about exercising that right more often

Not Another Moment Lost To Seizures

#30    101

PA's Girl

• 4,992 posts

• One half of the perenially, perpetually, purpotratedly, proudly, perfectly, placidly, pleasantly, purposely, presently promised couple to be on UM.

Posted 14 June 2005 - 03:42 PM

QUOTE(JMPD1 @ Jun 14 2005, 03:38 PM)
So I guess we should all dispose of our homes, our possessions, and our clothes in order to sit on the ground and worship the sky god, because anything less is 'idolatry'.

View Post

No silly you should not where clothes and eat nothing because then you won't worship food. Duh?  blush.gif  No I think it is saying if you love $$$ more than God then that is bad. saying if you would rather work work work and never spend time with him and pray is bad. But you can love family,sex,food,money,clothes, and whatever but just as long as it isn't going to be an idol to you.

* I mean I love corned beef hash man but I don't worship it*

Posted Image

Just remember, you can do anything (that is physically possible) that you set your mind to.  All you have to do is believe in yourself.- Mako

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users