Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Giving: where do you draw the line at?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Poll: Where do you draw the line at for giving to others?(whats the max you'll give to someone?) (19 member(s) have cast votes)

Where do you draw the line at for giving to others?(whats the max you'll give to someone?)

1. NOTHING!!!! (explain why please) (5 votes [26.32%])

Percentage of vote: 26.32%

2. Eh, maybe a dollar or two, if I have enough to spare (2 votes [10.53%])

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

3. Some of my food, if I have enough and the person's hungry (2 votes [10.53%])

4. 5 dollars, even if I was going to use it all (1 votes [5.26%])

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

5. My McValue meal if the person looked starving (2 votes [10.53%])

6. 10 dollars, since this person looks desperate (2 votes [10.53%])

7. Treat them to breakfast/lunch/dinner at a nice sit- in restaurant (3 votes [15.79%])

Percentage of vote: 15.79%

8. 20 dollars, BUT JUST ONCE! (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

9. As much as the person needs. (2 votes [10.53%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1    TaintedDoughnuts

TaintedDoughnuts

Voted Most Original Username 2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts

• Moo.

Posted 11 June 2005 - 02:34 PM

the scenario is this:  you see a bum on the street, asking for money or food.  do you trust what he'll do with the money, or give him some food? or will you ignore him and live your life?

#2    JMPD1

JMPD1

Child of the Universe

• 6,022 posts

• you want to know the answer? Hell, I'm still working on the question!

Posted 11 June 2005 - 05:21 PM

I do not give money to stret people.  My charitable donations go to organizations.

The reason?  I live in NYC, there are too many street cons and homeless to make the determination of "this one is worthy, that one is not".  Give X amount to one, you might as well give to all.

Quote of the Year 2006: HAY! I did more then just say I wanna be ina a man sammich! - SC

You have the right to remain silent.  You might want to think about exercising that right more often

Not Another Moment Lost To Seizures

#3    TaintedDoughnuts

TaintedDoughnuts

Voted Most Original Username 2005

• 1,542 posts

• Moo.

Posted 12 June 2005 - 01:37 AM

QUOTE(JMPD1 @ Jun 11 2005, 10:21 AM)
I do not give money to stret people.  My charitable donations go to organizations.

The reason?  I live in NYC, there are too many street cons and homeless to make the determination of "this one is worthy, that one is not".  Give X amount to one, you might as well give to all.

View Post

you have a point.  where i live, in the middle of so cali, we have only about 2 or 3 homeless people asking for money at a time original.gif

Edited by TaintedDoughnuts, 12 June 2005 - 01:38 AM.

#4    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,556 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 12 June 2005 - 01:15 PM

I have given food to 'street people.'  I used to mystery shop a fast food joint every week and I befriended this one homeless lady and met her outside the joint and gave her my meal all the time.  I don't come in contact with many, but I've never given them money when I do.  

Well, there was this one supposed homeless guy hanging out in Washington Square (NYC) who wrote a poem for me on the spot.  He got $10.00, but he provided a service -- the poem was pretty good too.

Embrace the impossible.

#5    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

• "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 12 June 2005 - 01:25 PM

I don't mind buying food for someone, but I rarely give money. Where I live there is a huge drug problem and giving money just seems to perpetuate the drug use.

9 times out of ten when you offer to get them food they quickly reply that they only want the money which is when I walk away.

I do donate to reputable organizations that help folks in need, but too often the individual standing on the offramp of the freeway has no interest in getting anything but drugs; I'd rather not be a part of that...

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

#6    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 26,189 posts

• Paranoid Android... One Mippippi, two Mippippi, three Mippipi....

Posted 12 June 2005 - 01:30 PM

I haven't voted because it really depends on what they need (not what they ask for).  If they ask for money, I'll respond "What do you need it for".  If they want it for a train ticket, which is a common one where I live, i'll buy them a train ticket.  If they say "I'm hungry and need food, I'll buy them food from somewhere (maybe a nice sit-in restaurant, maybe maccas, it depends on where we are in relation to food places).  If I just give them money, as likely as not it will be for things that harm their body, which wouldn't be very loving of me.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#7    sublime_serenity75

sublime_serenity75

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 05:07 PM

Unless it's family, absolutely nothing.  I have a very libertarian attitude about life.  My first priority is my family, everything else can sink or swim in all honesty.  May sound harsh, but I don't want to encourage someone's drinking/drug habit.

No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical
ss's hangout

#8    Odin11

Odin11

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

• I like your Christ.
    I do not like your Christians.
    They are so unlike your Christ.
    -Gandhi-

Posted 15 June 2005 - 06:46 PM

Absolutely nothing, It may sound mean, but my attitude about homeless is that
its their fault. like when their drug users and stuff like that.

"If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities." -Voltaire

Geology shows that fossils are of different ages. Paleontology shows a fossil sequence, the list of species represented changes through time. Taxonomy shows biological relationships among species. Evolution is the explanation that threads it all together. Creationism is the practice of squeezing one's eyes shut and wailing "Does not!" ~Author Unknown

#9    The Skeptic Eric Raven

The Skeptic Eric Raven

Master Blaster

• 11,065 posts

• One day love will find me.....

Posted 15 June 2005 - 06:50 PM

Depends the friend some maybe 20 others a thousand. Either way always write the money off as a gift. If you get back, great, otherwise your friendship can go down the drain. As far street people, I might give a dollar every once in awhile, but you have to be careful about that.

Edited by ericraven2003, 15 June 2005 - 06:51 PM.

........the sleeper has awoken!
Sometimes we need a kick in the butt to wake us up. Well, I'm up now!Boo ya.

...there are many things in life that will capture your eye, but very few will capture your heart. These are the ones to pursue. These are the ones worth keeping..."

#10    Irish

Irish

“The Mod Father”

• 4,934 posts

• Practice Random Acts of Kindness, they return to you!

Posted 15 June 2005 - 06:55 PM

I prefer to donate my time cooking at the shelter a few nights a year.

Most people do not want to know the truth they only want confirmation for what they think is truth.

#11    TheOriginalF

TheOriginalF

Psychic Spy

• 1,453 posts

• "Well I'm sorry dad, I won't live in your...microwave oven world any longer. You people have carpet on your hearts!"

Posted 15 June 2005 - 07:09 PM

I try to give money to those on the street as often as possible, however you can only give so much so often so I voted $10 since we all have to draw the line somewhere. Of course you have to be careful about who you give money to, but in certain circumstances I don't mind dropping a ten or twenty if somebody looks like they really need it.

<center>"Christ! I work hard all day, I expect a normal ham meal, not, not--Voodoo pork!"<center>
<center>Posted Image<center>

<center>8th Degree of the Steel Circle: May intelligence, rationale, and logic reign. <center>

#12    101

PA's Girl

• 4,992 posts

• One half of the perenially, perpetually, purpotratedly, proudly, perfectly, placidly, pleasantly, purposely, presently promised couple to be on UM.

Posted 15 June 2005 - 07:19 PM

I buy them something. Nothing too expensive. Maybe some tuna or pork and beans. They are greatful if they are hungrey.

Posted Image

Just remember, you can do anything (that is physically possible) that you set your mind to.  All you have to do is believe in yourself.- Mako

#13    Xoisk el Soñador

Xoisk el Soñador

Psychic Spy

• 1,179 posts

• Para vivir, se tiene que aprender a perdonar y olvidar.

Posted 15 June 2005 - 07:20 PM

Well I live about 1 hour from Cleveland, Ohio…The streets are sometimes littered with homeless people and drug addicts. I’d probably give them 10 dollars because some people really do need help at their moment in life. Even though they could of possibly lead to their homeless ability, you still gotta put yourself in their situation to visualize what it’s like.

«A donde fueres, haz lo que vieres».

#14    green_dude777

green_dude777

Psychic Spy

• 1,051 posts

• When you look back in life, you don't regret what you did, you regret what you never attempted.

Posted 16 June 2005 - 07:07 PM

I'm in northern Ohio as well.  I give to people whenever they ask, but I don't have a set amount.  Most of the time when I'm asked, the person comes up with a long story why they need it and etc, etc.  I really don't know if they're telling the truth, but all I know is that they just swallowed whatever pride they had, and that they're learning humility the hard way.  This in itself, I think is deserving of some amount of money/goods.

Also, not all homeless people are at fault for their homelessness.  I would like to hear the explanation of how an 8 year old would be at fault for their homelessness.

Peace

#15    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 22,035 posts

• Dysfunctional you can fix, ******** can't be.

Posted 16 June 2005 - 07:21 PM

I reside in California and homeless is a very big problem I live on the coast, In my neighborhood we know our homeless and help where we can, sometimes thats by having a conversation , I never not help asked or not, In a country so great why do we have starving homeless people and I mean everywhere how can we call ourselves great as long as their are those who have nothing.  Jesus said what we do to the least of us we do to all of us, I really take that to heart...........................

I walk to the local gas station every day and my son always comes with me ( he was 4 at the time)  and we always give to the homeless no judgements just give because thats who I am anyways my son says " innocent.gif I know what I want to be when I grow up I said whats that son 'He said Homeless because people are so nice to you."'Thats why I do it I dream of a world where noone  is hungry or without shelter and health care. Great question.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users