Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Giving: where do you draw the line at?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Poll: Where do you draw the line at for giving to others?(whats the max you'll give to someone?) (19 member(s) have cast votes)

Where do you draw the line at for giving to others?(whats the max you'll give to someone?)

1. NOTHING!!!! (explain why please) (5 votes [26.32%])

Percentage of vote: 26.32%

2. Eh, maybe a dollar or two, if I have enough to spare (2 votes [10.53%])

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

3. Some of my food, if I have enough and the person's hungry (2 votes [10.53%])

4. 5 dollars, even if I was going to use it all (1 votes [5.26%])

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

5. My McValue meal if the person looked starving (2 votes [10.53%])

6. 10 dollars, since this person looks desperate (2 votes [10.53%])

7. Treat them to breakfast/lunch/dinner at a nice sit- in restaurant (3 votes [15.79%])

Percentage of vote: 15.79%

8. 20 dollars, BUT JUST ONCE! (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

9. As much as the person needs. (2 votes [10.53%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16    Boris the Spider

Boris the Spider

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 37 posts

• Evil does not exist unless I think it so.

Posted 20 June 2005 - 02:40 PM

One night I was beatin my hoofs around the French Quarter and I was in need of a cigarette. I seen this homeless guy smoking one. He asked me for money just as I came up to him and I spotted a pack in his shirt pocket so I said this to him, " I'll give ya a dollar for a cigarette man"
He looks up at me wide eyed and instinctively clutches his pack of cigs guardingly and says, "No way dude these are mine".  I am sure he reacted before thinking about it really.
What I was stuck with was how they ask for money from you and will even get mad if you say no. But you ask them for something and it can be a little strange how they react.  Try it sometime!

Every step forward leads deeper into the fog.

#17    The Raven

The Raven

Wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 06:12 AM

I would never give the bum money, only give the bum food and shelter. Food and shelter are absolutes, money -- although supposed to go towards food -- will most likely be spent on drugs, booze, or things that give the bum a quick pleasure fix instead of survival -- many people other than bums would do it, too -- spending money in silly ways.

I am generous and wouldn't mind buying the bum clothing, food, or bring to a shelter if the person needed help, because if I don't help the bum, what happens if I'm a bum? Hes just going to turn me down, too.

Baron Wormser said:

What brought me to the woods was the longing to be with words in an undistracted place. 'Woods' and 'words' were almost identical.

Wayfarer - A Journey in Thought and Creation

#18    Ashley-Star*Child

Ashley-Star*Child

Alien Abducter

• 5,014 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 08:03 AM

When I see someone that's asking for donations, etc I give it to them regardless. My mother keeps saying 'they're just going to use it to get high', but look, even IF that as the case, most of those people ARE in dire straits (even if they putb themselves there in the first place, it's not the point). Same goes with people that ask me for a smoke/money/food. Does it matter WHY they need it? I recently saw a man sleeping in a carpark, the guy looked like he hadn't eaten in a week, so I gave him some food. He kept saying he didn't know how to get home (he was Asian had a bit of an accent, so he may mean his own country I don't know) we were driving by a week later and he was still there.....

My point is you SHOULD help people even if you're suspicious about WHY they need help. Alot of people who get stuck on drugs etc ran away from domestic abuse, and really ARE in need of help, because they are homeless, etc.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users