Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Chat Room Participation

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1    Magikman

Magikman

Most Exalted member of the first 15

• 6,280 posts

• "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur"

Posted 03 February 2002 - 02:03 AM

Several members have expressed an interest in the 'real time' chat room that Gareth has linked on his main page. Its a great way for groups of people to communicate with each other instead of using the instant message system. If you would be interested in chatting with the other members of this forum, respond to this post with your answer and include the best day and time for you. I'm thinking the best time would be the weekend, either Sat. or Sunday because of the time differences involved, we're talking about a 6 hour time variance between England and the Mountain time zone in the states. My best guess would shoot for 8:00p.m. at night in England, which would be 2:00 in the afternoon for Dalia. Or something similar. Any thoughts and/or ideas?

Magikman  :)

* - Of course weekdays are also a possibility, only those that work in the states probably wouldn't be able to participate early on.

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. ~ Carl Sagan

"...man has an irrepressible tendency to read meaning into the buzzing confusion of sights and sounds impinging on his senses; and where no agreed meaning can be found, he will provide it out of his own imagination." ~ Arthur Koestler

#2    SpaceyKC

SpaceyKC

Government Agent

• 3,349 posts

• Thank you TO

Posted 03 February 2002 - 03:12 AM

It sounds like a great idea,  but I can't do the math!  I am on the east coast, so that's later than mountain time, right?  Around 2 pm on a Sunday would be good for me. Does the chat room have a place where people stopping by could see who's in there? That'd be helpful!

Take care,
      NORA

"Science may have found a cure for most evils;  but it has
         found no remedy for the worst of them all --- the apathy of human beings."
                                                     Helen Keller

#3    Magikman

Magikman

Most Exalted member of the first 15

• 6,280 posts

• "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur"

Posted 03 February 2002 - 05:48 AM

Nora,

Yes, once you've logged on with a user name, the main 'chat' screen will appear. On the right hand side of the screen is a listing of all the users currently in the room. Tommy made a good suggestion, you might want to register your name as soon as possible for the chat room. I tried Magikman and Magik but they are already registered to someone else.  :P I was going to go with he who can do amazing illusions but that's too many characters.  ;) I was then struck by a revelation, and registered under Messiah. :D  

As to your other question, yes, the Eastern time zone would be 2 hours later than the Mountain. Just to be absolutely sure about the time, Gareth, if you are reading this post, is the time shown in the main title block the current time in Scotland and England, or is there some adjusting that I have to account for? Any feedback would be appreciated.

MAGIKMAN :)

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. ~ Carl Sagan

"...man has an irrepressible tendency to read meaning into the buzzing confusion of sights and sounds impinging on his senses; and where no agreed meaning can be found, he will provide it out of his own imagination." ~ Arthur Koestler

#4    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 19,859 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 03 February 2002 - 11:32 AM

Hi Magik,

The time in the top corner of the forum is GMT - 1.
I don't know why it's -1 but I haven't yet been able to work out how to change it.

Having a live chat in the chat room is a good idea, there used to be live chats a long while ago in the days when the forum was nothing more than a free board off of Bravenet.

Anyone who would like to take part can reach the chat room here :

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/chatroom.htm

If you have the mIRC chat client, theres details for logging in via that as well.

8pm tonight is ok by me also. To anyone who isn't in the UK, 8pm is 3pm EST and 12am PST. ( please tell me if I've got either of those wrong ).

Of course it depends on how many people are going to be available at that time.

To anyone who is interested in participating - let us know by posting to this thread.

Thanks. :)

#5    Tommy

Tommy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 03 February 2002 - 01:43 PM

See you there.  :D

8.00 sounds like a reasonable time to me. As far as weekdays go, I would say I have slight nocturnal tendencies, but we could stick to weekends.  

Whatever's easier. :)

Tommy  

"Superstition created all the gods and angels, all the devils and ghosts, all the witches, demons and goblins, gave us all the augurs, soothsayers and prophets, filled the heavens with signs and wonders, broke the chain of cause and effect, and wrote the history of man in miracles and lies" ~ Robert Green Ingersoll

#6    dalia

dalia

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 365 posts

• Purrrrr-fect Mystery

Posted 09 February 2002 - 05:29 AM

Thanks, Magikman!

I think this would be a wonderful treat. 2:00 PM on Sunday would work great for me.

Hope to meet you all there.

Dalia

Purrr-fectly happy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users