Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

If Jesus was so smart

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1    EmpressV

EmpressV

The Opinionator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts

• Democracy is a double edged sword, just because you don't like something doesn't make it wrong it just makes it someone elses right,
    Geo

Posted 17 June 2005 - 02:10 PM

I just want to know your feelings on this. I have always been under the impression that he learned some of his knowledge from the elder jews. But a lot of his teachings seem to favor far eastern philosophies. The christian bible seems to have left out a significant time frame of his life. Could he have possibly been searching for more answers and made his way to other cultures?

WHO'S THE KNUCKLEHEAD THAT GOT ME SIDETRACKED?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GODS ONLY EXIST IN THE MINDS OF THOSE THAT BELIEVE IN THEM

#2    Travelling Man

Travelling Man

Psychic Spy

• 1,154 posts

• And you are asking... Why?

Posted 17 June 2005 - 02:22 PM

Well, if you use the scripture as a basis, Jesus was a pretty standard Jew that started thinking for himself and came up with some radical ideas.  His education would have been pretty standard for the time, so the only variable is his brain power or his divinity (depending upon your religious convictions).

There is nothing to say that he went elsewhere, but most "free-thinking" religions have very similar tenets, i.e.: The Golden Rule, love and help each other, etcetera.

And, not meaning to be a snot here, but the Bible also does not mention him pooping - does this mean that he didn't have a digestive tract??  Just because the Book doesn't have info on a topic does not mean that a person has to fill in the spaces with oddities - just use some likely conservative guesses to do that.

Superior firepower will win over superior numbers - every time!  G.A. Custer
Superior numbers will win over superior firepower - every time!  S. Bull

My credentials

#3    Essan

Essan

Recruitment Agent for the 'B' Ark

• 2,332 posts

• Stop Climate Change: Plant a Rain Forest Today!

Posted 17 June 2005 - 02:26 PM

Hasn't it been suggested he was a member of the Essene sect?  The ones who also left us all the Dead Sea Scrolls?

Andy

Weather & Earth Science News
The independent climate blog

#4    EmpressV

EmpressV

The Opinionator

• 1,744 posts

• Democracy is a double edged sword, just because you don't like something doesn't make it wrong it just makes it someone elses right,
    Geo

Posted 17 June 2005 - 02:43 PM

To answer one of your questions, I am a total non believer, don't get me wrong I grew up thinking as a christian. But I like to study the history of the christian bible. There are too many unanswered questions. Christians are so sure about this stuff but yet they aren't concerned about the missing periods of time like his teen years.
We all have our own brain power, so I guess we can all create knowledge as we see it too, is that what you're saying?
Another thing, during the time he lived, people were trying to search for other ways of viewing the world as it was. The old ways didn't make sense any more, so some people were evolving their thought patterns and ideas. I think he may have been caught up in the moment of it all. People were breaking away from the old ideas and forming new cults to explore their brain power. One for instance during that time were The Sons of The Light. I think that was their name, I'm sure someone will correct me.

#5    GodsMessenger

GodsMessenger

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 04:35 PM

QUOTE(curiousity @ Jun 17 2005, 09:10 AM)
I just want to know your feelings on this. I have always been under the impression that he learned some of his knowledge from the elder jews. But a lot of his teachings seem to favor far eastern philosophies. The christian bible seems to have left out a significant time frame of his life. Could he have possibly been searching for more answers and made his way to other cultures?

View Post

It does not take any special knowledge to know that teh right thing to do with ines life, is to Love God and Love Others. And that is all that Jesus really taught.

And He got His knowledge the same place you and I do ... from God ... from the Spirit of Truth and Righteousness, The Golden Rule. Empathy.

The problem is so many people have "tuned out" the voice of God. Or they have allowed all the noise and bustle of the world to distract them from hearing Gods voice. Or they don't like want to hear what God has to say.

Jesus loves His Fathers and Trusts His Father and Obeys His Father in heaven.

We ALL know what the right thing to do is, we just do not want to do it sometimes.

#6    Adam_Askew

Adam_Askew

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 04:41 PM

one thing i wan't to know is, how do we all know he was so smart?  Is there any evidence to this?

#7    101

PA's Girl

• 4,992 posts

• One half of the perenially, perpetually, purpotratedly, proudly, perfectly, placidly, pleasantly, purposely, presently promised couple to be on UM.

Posted 17 June 2005 - 04:51 PM

Well my theory is: I believe Jesus was smart because I personally wouldn't have listened to a child at the temple who I just thought was ranting. He was smart and knew what he was speaking about.

just my opinion.  original.gif

Posted Image

Just remember, you can do anything (that is physically possible) that you set your mind to.  All you have to do is believe in yourself.- Mako

#8    mako

mako

Poltergeist

• 2,770 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 06:00 PM

I believe Jesus was smart because I personally wouldn't have listened to a child at the temple who I just thought was ranting

Isn't it strange that only the Gosple of Luke would report the thing about his being in the temple and astounding the priests with his knowledge, it would be such an important milestone of his life?  Almost as if it might be made up.  yes.gif

Our earth is degenerate in these latter days.  There are signs that the world is speedily coming to an end.  Bribery and corruption are common,   Children no longer obey their parents.  Every man wants to write a book, and the end of the world evidently is approaching.
                    Assyrian tablet circa 2800 BCE

#9    101

PA's Girl

• 4,992 posts

• One half of the perenially, perpetually, purpotratedly, proudly, perfectly, placidly, pleasantly, purposely, presently promised couple to be on UM.

Posted 17 June 2005 - 06:04 PM

Maybe it was only in Luke because it wasn't as important as his adult years.  yes.gif

Who knows?

And it came to pass after three days, that they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the teachers, both listening to them and asking them questions.
(Luke 2:46)

Couldn't you just see Jesus as a child hanging out with the priests. I betcha he was a stinker.  tongue.gif

Edited by 101, 17 June 2005 - 06:14 PM.

Posted Image

Just remember, you can do anything (that is physically possible) that you set your mind to.  All you have to do is believe in yourself.- Mako

#10    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,553 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 17 June 2005 - 06:11 PM

It is believed by some that Jesus travelled to the East  in his teenage and 20-something years.  Evidence of this is not in the Bible because the bible was written by men in one area where Jesus was not at the time.  There are stories of a young man or child with god-like power in Eastern texts around the appropriate time.

I don't feel like finding all my links right now, but here is one....

http://www.ycsi.net/users/reversespins/teenageJesus.html

Embrace the impossible.

#11    EmpressV

EmpressV

The Opinionator

• 1,744 posts

Geo

Posted 17 June 2005 - 06:16 PM

QUOTE(GodsMessenger @ Jun 17 2005, 12:35 PM)

View Post

It does not take any special knowledge to know that teh right thing to do with ines life, is to Love God and Love Others. And that is all that Jesus really taught.

And He got His knowledge the same place you and I do ... from God ... from the Spirit of Truth and Righteousness, The Golden Rule. Empathy.

The problem is so many people have "tuned out" the voice of God. Or they have allowed all the noise and bustle of the world to distract them from hearing Gods voice. Or they don't like want to hear what God has to say.

We ALL know what the right thing to do is, we just do not want to do it sometimes.

View Post

You sound like a very nice person. One who always tries to do the right things,but your answer sounds superficial to me. It's very easy to go through life blissful with an attitude like that. I think there may just happen to be more to the story than that.  wink2.gif

#12    GodsMessenger

GodsMessenger

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 01:02 AM

QUOTE(101 @ Jun 17 2005, 11:51 AM)
Well my theory is: I believe Jesus was smart because I personally wouldn't have listened to a child at the temple who I just thought was ranting. He was smart and knew what he was speaking about.

just my opinion.  original.gif

View Post

And don't forget this part...

Matthew 7:28-30 (New International Version)
New International Version (NIV)
Copyright 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society

28When Jesus had finished saying these things, the crowds were amazed at his teaching, 29because he taught as one who had authority, and not as their teachers of the law.

#13    GodsMessenger

GodsMessenger

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 01:10 AM

QUOTE(curiousity @ Jun 17 2005, 01:16 PM)
QUOTE(GodsMessenger @ Jun 17 2005, 12:35 PM)

View Post

View Post

You sound like a very nice person. One who always tries to do the right things,but your answer sounds superficial to me. It's very easy to go through life blissful with an attitude like that. I think there may just happen to be more to the story than that.  wink2.gif

View Post

LOL

I wish I was as nice as you say I sound.  Superficial?  Maybe your reading of my message was superficial. Maybe you didn't stop to consider all the ramifications of knowing what is right, but not doing it for the various reasons I noted and I am sure there are other reasons. I spoke to a psychologist who said 80% of the people suffer some kind of neurosis because they are constantly doing things they believe they should not be doing.  Peer pressure, social pressure, legal pressure, financial pressures family pressures religious pressures pulling us every which way but lose, we can't do just whatever we think is right without considering all of the foregoing pressures.

#14    Something Like Laughter

Something Like Laughter

Psychic Spy

• 1,436 posts

• You want religious fundamentalism? I'll show you religious fundamentalism!

Posted 18 June 2005 - 04:44 AM

Christians are so sure about this stuff but yet they aren't concerned about the missing periods of time like his teen years.
skipping over the child hood of a person is typical of biographies of the period. for instance the biographies of the ceasars have little about their childhoods. usually, it only records their birth, maybe an interesting event in their childhood, and then jumps to adulthood.
one thing i wan't to know is, how do we all know he was so smart? Is there any evidence to this?
he outwits some very highly educated people throughout mark 2 and its parallels.

Did you become what you are so that you could hate?
Death to the World!
Orthodox Christian
Minarchist

#15    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,926 posts

• Paranoid Android... One Mippippi, two Mippippi, three Mippipi....

Posted 18 June 2005 - 05:13 AM

QUOTE(mako @ Jun 18 2005, 04:00 AM)
I believe Jesus was smart because I personally wouldn't have listened to a child at the temple who I just thought was ranting

Isn't it strange that only the Gosple of Luke would report the thing about his being in the temple and astounding the priests with his knowledge, it would be such an important milestone of his life?  Almost as if it might be made up.  yes.gif

View Post

Luke, being a doctor and an historian, got his information from talking to people wth first hand accounts of Jesus.  Of the four gospels, his is the most complete and detailed.  I believe his interviews and research took Luke to sources and places that the other gospel writers were simply not privvy to.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users