Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

PETA Employees Face Felony Animal-Cruelty Charges

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1    __Kratos__

__Kratos__

-Staring-

• 25,876 posts

• As darkness falls, night unfolds ebony wings to wrap the world in it's dark embrace.

Posted 17 June 2005 - 08:23 PM

Ahoskie, NC – Last night, one month after the launch of www.PetaKillsAnimals.com, two employees of People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) were arrested on 31 felony animal-cruelty charges for killing and disposing of dogs and puppies in a dumpster. Today the Center for Consumer Freedom is calling on Americans to stop making donations to support PETA and its grim-reaper program.

When Ahoskie police arrested PETA employees Andrew Cook and Adria Hinkle last night, they found 18 dead dogs in a nearby shopping-center dumpster (including a bag containing seven dead puppies), and 13 more dead dogs in the PETA-owned van the two were driving. Police observed them throwing several dark-colored bags into the dumpster before the arrests were made.

This is not the first public mention of PETA’s large-scale euthanasia program. In May 2005 the Center for Consumer Freedom (CCF) unveiled a giant Times Square billboard and a new website (www.PetaKillsAnimals.com). CCF had obtained official records from the state of Virginia showing the militant animal-rights group had put over 10,000 dogs and cats to death since 1998.

In 2003 PETA euthanized over 85 percent of the animals it took in, finding adoptive homes for just 14 percent. By comparison, the Norfolk SPCA found adoptive homes for 73 percent of its animals and the Virginia Beach SPCA adopted out 66 percent. PETA’s required report documenting its 2004 record is currently over 4 weeks late.

A Bertie County (NC) Deputy Sheriff told The Roanoke-Chowan News-Herald that Cook and Hinkle assured the Bertie Animal Shelter “they were picking up the dogs to take them back to Norfolk where they would find them good homes.” Pittman added that persons identifying themselves as PETA representatives have picked up live dogs from that shelter during the last two months.

“This is disturbing behavior on the part of self-professed animal lovers, and I hope the public takes notice,” said Center for Consumer Freedom Director of Research David Martosko. “PETA raked in nearly $29 million last year alone, but apparently it couldn’t spare any money to care for the flesh-and-blood animals entrusted to its employees. It’s ironic -- If anyone else were caught red-handed with 31 dead dogs, PETA would be holding a press conference to denounce them.”

Martosko added: “Last month when we launched PetaKillsAnimals.com, we warned the public that PETA was not the warm and kind group it claimed to be. Now it’s clearer than ever that Americans who truly want to help animals should donate to their local animal shelter, not to PETA.”
Source
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just... WOW!  blink.gif

“PETA raked in nearly $29 million last year alone, but apparently it couldn’t spare any money to care for the flesh-and-blood animals entrusted to its employees. It’s ironic -- If anyone else were caught red-handed with 31 dead dogs, PETA would be holding a press conference to denounce them.”

That is my favorite quote... grin2.gif So true, to.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." ~Philip K. Dick

"Passion, peace. Strength, knowledge. Power, serenity. Victory, harmony. Freedom, the Force." ~Ashara Zavros

#2    __Kratos__

__Kratos__

-Staring-

• 25,876 posts

• As darkness falls, night unfolds ebony wings to wrap the world in it's dark embrace.

Posted 18 June 2005 - 04:43 PM

As it seems PETA has offered nothing public about the case. I just checked their site and nothing. I think they are just trying to ignore these crimes!

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." ~Philip K. Dick

"Passion, peace. Strength, knowledge. Power, serenity. Victory, harmony. Freedom, the Force." ~Ashara Zavros

#3    Faeden

Faeden

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

• Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth

Posted 18 June 2005 - 07:18 PM

This is pretty shocking to me as an animal lover, but I would like to learn more about the case and about the evidence before condemning them, I say this because there are many people out there who hate and detest animal rights groups, because some people love cruelty to animals. In the past attempts have been made to blacken animal rights groups names by making up lies, and even setting them up with crimes. I am not saying that these claims against PETA members are not true, as it looks likely that it is, which is disgusting, and obviously hypocritical, but you should be careful when reading accusations like this about animal rights groups because they have a lot of hated thrown at them by people who love to slaughter and torture animals, it makes them prime targets for people who wish to lie, slander and even set them up for crimes or other damaging type things.

If PETA is responsible, then shame on them, they are as bad, if not worse than the people that like to torture and kill animals, what is worse is, if they are responsible for this the fact PETA wont even defend them selves or comment on it is even more despicable.

All the best
Faeden

Posted Image

Please visit my forums on the paranormal HERE

#4    Novo

Novo

Psychic Spy

• 2,047 posts

• Illicit Citizen Of Utopia

Posted 20 June 2005 - 02:50 AM

QUOTE(Faeden @ Jun 18 2005, 07:18 PM)
This is pretty shocking to me as an animal lover, but I would like to learn more about the case and about the evidence before condemning them, I say this because there are many people out there who hate and detest animal rights groups, because some people love cruelty to animals. In the past attempts have been made to blacken animal rights groups names by making up lies, and even setting them up with crimes. I am not saying that these claims against PETA members are not true, as it looks likely that it is, which is disgusting, and obviously hypocritical, but you should be careful when reading accusations like this about animal rights groups because they have a lot of hated thrown at them by people who love to slaughter and torture animals, it makes them prime targets for people who wish to lie, slander and even set them up for crimes or other damaging type things.

If PETA is responsible, then shame on them, they are as bad, if not worse than the people that like to torture and kill animals, what is worse is, if they are responsible for this the fact PETA wont even defend them selves or comment on it is even more despicable.

All the best
Faeden

View Post

You took the words right out of my mouth. no.gif  no.gif

The stupider people think you are, the more suprised they are when you kill them.
- Unknown

History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people.
-Martin Luthur king Jr, activist

Never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was legal.
- Martin luthur King Jr., activist

#5    girty1600

girty1600

MRS. FALCO

• 6,654 posts

• "Just because I don't care...... doesn't mean I don't understand!"

Posted 20 June 2005 - 03:11 AM

Since I began work with the ASPCA and the Humane Society I have nothing but trouble from PETA groups. The intentions have always been good but somewhere the message was lost. To read that PETA might be responsible for such an act sickens me. I will continue to donate my time and money to responsible groups that operate under strict regulations who don't sacrifice  ethics for shock value. Painting yourself red and blocking a parking lot is a decent way to spend an afternoon but I would rather answer phones,  organize fund-raisers and commit myself to finding homes for unwanted pets. But, hey, that's just my thing.

#6    riotboy555

riotboy555

Psychic Spy

• 1,509 posts

• Quick, for God's sake, cut off the lights.

Posted 20 June 2005 - 03:32 AM

Wow. What are the odds that PETA getting caught doing something they are against?

I sent an email to their one of their websites, which is aimed at teenagers. Hopefully I'll get a response. thumbsup.gif

Edited by riotboy555, 20 June 2005 - 03:34 AM.

"We're here to rock you all, no matter what you believe in."-refused
*Signature removed, exceeds permitted size guidelines - Click Here for details. :(

"Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule." - Friedrich Nietzsche

#7    AztecInca

AztecInca

Martian

• 9,013 posts

• All it takes for evil to triumph, is for good people to do nothing.

Posted 20 June 2005 - 03:46 AM

Well this will really help their cause now wont it!?!?

It just takes one or two incidents like this to lose the publics support even if the cause is trully wothwhile.

#8    Disinterested

Disinterested

Government Agent

• 3,740 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 04:14 AM

I'm not surprised. I've been hearing this stuff for years, yet some people refuse to believe that PETA could be misrepresenting themselves.

I never donated time or money to them, and proud of it too. I do what I can to help animals, and I think it's more beneficial than giving this organization money.

#9    tigger

tigger

Poltergeist

• 2,367 posts

• keeper of a greater magic... THE SCHWARTZ!

Posted 20 June 2005 - 07:06 AM

i've never liked PETA, or the extortionist views that they hold.. it goes to show you just how greedy an organisation is to not follow through with promises for a better future for animals.. i'd like to know just what has happened with the money
i'm just disgusted by the way they disposed of the bodies

'What do you do if you step on a mine, Captain?'
'Well, the usual procedure is to leap 200 feet in the air and spread yourself over a wide area…'

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!

#10    ALNA70

ALNA70

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 08:33 AM

QUOTE(girty1600 @ Jun 19 2005, 11:11 PM)
Since I began work with the ASPCA and the Humane Society I have nothing but trouble from PETA groups. The intentions have always been good but somewhere the message was lost. To read that PETA might be responsible for such an act sickens me. I will continue to donate my time and money to responsible groups that operate under strict regulations who don't sacrifice  ethics for shock value. Painting yourself red and blocking a parking lot is a decent way to spend an afternoon but I would rather answer phones,  organize fund-raisers and commit myself to finding homes for unwanted pets. But, hey, that's just my thing.

View Post

Wow!! I'm very impressed with your volunteer work. I have the utmost respect for those who actually take the time to help out with organizations such as those you mentioned. I'm an animal lover since as long as I can remember, I just wish I had more time to do the work you do.
You are one special lady girty!! thumbsup.gif  wub.gif

It's not the quantity of your post's, but the quality of your post's!!

National MS Society

I am sick of seeing [sic].

#11    girty1600

girty1600

MRS. FALCO

• 6,654 posts

• "Just because I don't care...... doesn't mean I don't understand!"

Posted 21 June 2005 - 08:13 AM

What a nice complement! thank you...

PETA and splinter factions have long been  adversarys of mine as they make my work much much harder. I hope for a time when shock value bows out and useful projects can be utilized to educate people on animal cruelty and what can be done to stop it.

#12    tigger

tigger

Poltergeist

• 2,367 posts

• keeper of a greater magic... THE SCHWARTZ!

Posted 21 June 2005 - 08:48 AM

does peta do anything about eukanuba and iams products?
they are some nasty ppl.. the testing they do on animals is horrendous

'What do you do if you step on a mine, Captain?'
'Well, the usual procedure is to leap 200 feet in the air and spread yourself over a wide area…'

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!

#13    Blackleaf

Blackleaf

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 10:08 AM

If we don't test products on animals, then we'll have to test them on humans.

Or don't test them at all then your hair might fall out every time you use shampoo.

#14    Blackleaf

Blackleaf

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 10:09 AM

I wonder how many of these people who are against animal testing would let these products be tested on themselves instead.

#15    Blackleaf

Blackleaf

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 10:35 AM

But animal cruelty is cruel.  For example, I don't agree with putting dogs into cages and not feeding them or anything.

But if we have all these different products, then they must be tested somehow.

I definetely think that "dog shampoos" should be tested on dogs.  I mean, it's the dogs that are gonna be using them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users