Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Original Sin Or Original Blessing?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16    Seraphina

Seraphina

Voted Best Member 2005

• 7,133 posts

• Everyone likes a smouldering and sexy glare from a diminutive scientist.

Posted 24 June 2005 - 04:21 AM

Individually, I think human beings (on average that is) can be anywhere on the spectrum...we're capable of both great compassion, and great cruelty. With exact capacity for both varies from person to person but I'd say that a majority of people are "good"...or at the very least good enough not to bother anyone else.

As a species though, I'm afraid that the collective behavour of humans is some of the most barbaric and twisted in the animal kindgom.

Posted Image

Apparantly, over on Exchristian.Net, they say that I'm "probably the smartest person" on UM....that is so cool...

#17    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 28,287 posts

• Paranoid Android... *whaa--*

Posted 24 June 2005 - 04:25 PM

QUOTE(Seraphina @ Jun 24 2005, 02:21 PM)
Individually, I think human beings (on average that is) can be anywhere on the spectrum...we're capable of both great compassion, and great cruelty. With exact capacity for both varies from person to person but I'd say that a majority of people are "good"...or at the very least good enough not to bother anyone else.

As a species though, I'm afraid that the collective behavour of humans is some of the most barbaric and twisted in the animal kindgom.

View Post

Good answer, Sera

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#18    Matches

Matches

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 127 posts

• With a fool no season spend, nor be counted as his friend.

-Doreen Valiente

Posted 26 June 2005 - 02:06 AM

If humans committed original sin, wouldn't that mean that the god that they had been created in the image of was however slightly impure? I do not mean to provoke anything other than thought (and I'm surely not satanist), but if angels were created from purity, why would they be dark, bestial reflections of their holy origin bent on destruction and fornication in the name of their leader. Why would this be true if all was born from a pure original being, or was conciousness just a big mistake in some scientific experiment, and fanatics try to mask the truth with the explanation that a snake made us do it. It is a bit childish to point the finger at a being created by a benign and loving, er... entity.

Don't any of you Christians find it a bit disturbing that conciousness and truth were just accidents, and that some sick being only made two original beings as the progenitors of humankind, limiting the gene pool by making us commit incest to further the species. Maybe that's why we as humans are so violent and unstable, killing each other.

Or, the original sin is all a scam to control the superstitious masses and make them bow to the will of the once all-powerful church.

Please respond in an intelligent manner, and DO NOT FLAME ME.

Disclaimer: sorry if I offended the christians out there.I'm Agnostic and proud, but I try to play as devil's advocate (a matter of speech, don't burn me at the stake) and bring a sharper view into focus.

~Morian Grey

#19    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 24,789 posts

• "If one is to be thought acceptable and agreeable in society, one must submit to being taught the same lessons over and over again." --Hammer

Posted 26 June 2005 - 04:08 AM

Morian  Interesting viewpoint,  You brought up some valid points, I myself don't subscribe to the whole vengeful God thing. I lean towards the  God is all that is and God is all that is not  Theory. :innoc devil.gif ent:

#20    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 28,287 posts

• Paranoid Android... *whaa--*

Posted 26 June 2005 - 10:27 AM

QUOTE(Morian @ Jun 26 2005, 12:06 PM)
If humans committed original sin, wouldn't that mean that the god that they had been created in the image of was however slightly impure? I do not mean to provoke anything other than thought (and I'm surely not satanist), but if angels were created from purity, why would they be dark, bestial reflections of their holy origin bent on destruction and fornication in the name of their leader. Why would this be true if all was born from a pure original being, or was conciousness just a big mistake in some scientific experiment, and fanatics try to mask the truth with the explanation that a snake made us do it. It is a bit childish to point the finger at a being created by a benign and loving, er... entity.

Don't any of you Christians find it a bit disturbing that conciousness and truth were just accidents, and that some sick being only made two original beings as the progenitors of humankind, limiting the gene pool by making us commit incest to further the species. Maybe that's why we as humans are so violent and unstable, killing each other.

Or, the original sin is all a scam to control the superstitious masses and make them bow to the will of the once all-powerful church.

Please respond in an intelligent manner, and DO NOT FLAME ME.

Disclaimer: sorry if I offended the christians out there.I'm Agnostic and proud, but I try to play as devil's advocate (a matter of speech, don't burn me at the stake) and bring a sharper view into focus.

~Morian Grey

View Post

Interesting points you've raised.  This isn't the Spirituality vs. Skepticism board, so I'm not supposed to argue the merits of your belief here, but my own personal belief is that we are created in God's image, thus God has the ability to do all the evil things that we do, but God is..... well, he's God.  If he couldn't do these things, He wouldn't be all powerful.  He chooses not to commit these things though.  We as humans on the other hand, are only human and have flawed natures.  We desire to live life our own way, and go against what God wants.

On a side note (I suppose to answer your post), consciousness and truth were never accidents.  God has a plan and that plan is in fulfillment as we speak (err, write  huh.gif ).  As for Adam and Eve, it is conceivable God altered His own laws on incest in order to allow the people to spread enough to create a viable gene pool.  Of course though, it is my belief that it is possible that the Genesis account of creation may not have necessarily happened (I'm not saying "did not", so don't make that assumption either).  The writing style suggests that it is more poetry than fact - the point of the genesis account not being to show us HOW the world was created, but rather WHO was responsible for its creation, ie. God.

In the end we do not know for sure.  As a believer I believe God is responsible, and that's just the way it is!

All the best,

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users