Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Superbug outbreak kills 23 in Britain

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1    sublime_serenity75

sublime_serenity75

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 05:07 PM

A lethal new strain of the hospital bug Clostridium difficile has infected a second hospital in Britain, raising fears that it is spreading throughout the NHS.

The outbreak of C.difficile at the Royal Devon and Exeter Foundation NHS Trust infected 265 patients in the first five months of this year and has caused 23 deaths since January.

The number of patients stricken with the virulent infection, which causes severe diarrhoea, is running at twice the level in 2004, when 254 patients at the 850-bed hospital were infected over 12 months.

The new strain of the bug, which produces 20 times more toxin than the ordinary strain, was also the cause of an outbreak at Stoke Mandeville hospital in Buckinghamshire, revealed by The Independent. More than 300 patients have been infected and 12 have died at the hospital since the end of 2003.

-Source

No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical
ss's hangout

#2    ForRizzle

ForRizzle

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 05:08 PM

Well that does not sound very good at all.

#3    Blackleaf

Blackleaf

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 05:21 PM

Well, mustn't grumble.

#4    _Nyx_

_Nyx_

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 11,262 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 08:52 PM

Well, isn't that just peachy.....yeesh....how does this stuff just "get out" anyway?

#5    Hans Dolbrook

Hans Dolbrook

opemmind1963

• 1,558 posts

Posted 22 June 2005 - 11:16 PM

what are its symptoms,and what causes it????????????

Posted Image

{" Everyone needs to feel safe but hell; might as well blame the trailer park for attracting lightning bolts and tornados. I mean, I had a hand in certain things. But everybody's got free will... I just give them enough rope to hang themselves."-Lucas Buck}

#6    __Kratos__

__Kratos__

-Staring-

• 25,876 posts

• As darkness falls, night unfolds ebony wings to wrap the world in it's dark embrace.

Posted 22 June 2005 - 11:19 PM

O man... I think I have it!
Just messing around... I'm not a hypochondriac.

23 dead though... that sucks big time.

which causes severe diarrhoea

So... they die because of dehydration?

Edited by __Kratos__, 22 June 2005 - 11:21 PM.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." ~Philip K. Dick

"Passion, peace. Strength, knowledge. Power, serenity. Victory, harmony. Freedom, the Force." ~Ashara Zavros

#7    warden

warden

Poltergeist

• 2,751 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 07:02 AM

I seen this story a wee while ago ,then all of a suden nothing was said about it (didnt sound a good idea to let it out in the media when we have the MRSA bug floating about which labour promised to eradicate)

A doctor once said that we have a nation of people dependant on anti-biotics and eventually super bugs will be unstopable as we cant create an anti-biotic faster than bugs can mutate,i think we are getting close to his words,(dont tell the minister for health)he will say you are a torrie looking to stir up trouble ,tell that to the 23 dead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users