Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Should We choose our Childs Religion?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 22,398 posts

• Dysfunctional you can fix.

Posted 26 June 2005 - 05:13 PM

In my family this is a big deal, Should we as parents choose our childs religion???
Do we do more harm or good by this practice????  For me I  Certainly express and live a viewpoint which very clearly gives an example of my awareness of God?

As a parent I know that for  a time I am my childs definition of all things,  until they begin to think for themselves  ( We refer to that as Rebellion)  As parents if our child chooses to find their own path to God should we insist they see God in our way or allow them to see God in their own way? Do our children have our  okay to question our values?

I'd apprciate your perspective on this whether you have children or not.

#2    revolver ocelot

revolver ocelot

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 109 posts

• "now i will show you why they call me...revolver"

Posted 26 June 2005 - 05:25 PM

to some extend a parent should,but who are they to decide what religion is right for them?

#3    Kabutarian

Kabutarian

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 188 posts

• Way to half-ass it, guys..

Posted 26 June 2005 - 05:30 PM

I would say that you should express your own views on religion to your child, but don't punish them if they disagree or have their own views. Preaching good morals (Love, tolerance, mercy, and other religion-neutral morals that are widely esteemed), and letting them use these morals to find what they believe may be the best path for you to take.

Posted Image

#4    Bizeebutt

Bizeebutt

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,305 posts

• The more I learn, the more I realize I do not know.

Posted 26 June 2005 - 05:43 PM

my parents raised me catholic.  I am atheist.  This doesn't mean that my mother loves me any less, To quote from Batman, "its not what you are inside, its what you do that defines you".  It shouldn't matter what path your children take, as long as it makes them happy.  You are their mother and with motherhood comes unconditional love.  Show them that you Love them no matter what, and you will find that perhaps they will follow in your footsteps.

Posted Image

you misunderestimate me

[siggy done by Biz]

On the subject of Concrete Stress Analysis...

"Iffa you haffa too mush stress, you gonna breaka you memba"
-Shih (by way of Phil)

#5    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,873 posts

• The origonal Damneddirtytreehugging-
    paganhippiewerecougarrum pirate.

Posted 26 June 2005 - 05:46 PM

We should raise them to be aware of religion.  All of it.. every stem of it.  let them make an informed choice later on and support what they choose.

Doctor_Strangelove: If only I lived in a world with no risk of piss tests. Then I could just sit here and
watch videos on angelfish and become one with nature.

#6    Bizeebutt

Bizeebutt

Psychic Spy

• 1,305 posts

• The more I learn, the more I realize I do not know.

Posted 26 June 2005 - 05:51 PM

absolutly... exposure is good.  Parents shouldn't feel that their religion is like a "legacy" that must be continued with their children.  

Children should be exposed to all sects, religious and non, so that they may make an informed decision at the right time in life.  

Think of it this way... you never make an uninformed decision before purchasing a car, why would you make an uninformed decision when choosing a religion? A car will deteriorate after a few years, but what you choose as your faith will be with you for your life.

Posted Image

you misunderestimate me

[siggy done by Biz]

On the subject of Concrete Stress Analysis...

"Iffa you haffa too mush stress, you gonna breaka you memba"
-Shih (by way of Phil)

#7    Nirwana

Nirwana

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 05:53 PM

Teach him about God himself instead of presenting him/her with religion then the rest will be up to him/her, we can't choose other ppl's own path, after someone knows what God is about it's up to us to follow his path or not.

#8    Neo2005

Neo2005

The One

• 3,523 posts

• If you die in the matrix you die here?
    The body cannot live without the mind.

Posted 26 June 2005 - 05:58 PM

We should let our children decide who and what they want to follow.

#9    mypaddedroom

mypaddedroom

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,429 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 06:35 PM

How can you let them decide if you never teach them. Teach them while their young then once they get older they are on their own then they decide I say.

#10    lp21why

lp21why

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 06:42 PM

Well they wouldn't know about religion unless we told them, but what if we gave them sources or people from a number of religions and let them here what each religion is like. But we shouldn't tell them what to believe, especially if it isn't in their wish to do so.

"Education: The path from cocky ignorance to miserable uncertainty" - Mark Twain.

#11    RH2097

RH2097

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

• Fear the soul for it knows no fear.

Posted 26 June 2005 - 06:45 PM

What I plan on doing with my children decide.  I was raised Catholic, baptised and crap all when I was 5, but I more follow the Buddist religion.

RH2097

Why is there enough religion to incite war, but not enough religion to instill tolerance?
Don't analyze my beliefs.  And I won't pick out the flaws in yours.
You tell me that I sin, You say I'm bound to hell, So once judgment condemns you, I shall see you there.

#12    hyperactive

hyperactive

abu gaia

• 5,691 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 07:18 PM

a parents role is to protect and educate.

in this sense a parent should open as many doors as possible to a child and guide them on thier path.  teach spirituality and religion the same way one teaches all other topics.  teach each one as part of the greater framework.  teach them all within their historical and cultural contexts.  

if you don't have any background in the areas it is your opportunity to learn as well.  learn with your child as well as teach your child, and never be afraid of having your child teach you something as well.

"He who knows not and knows not he knows not, he is a fool - shun him.
He who knows not and knows he knows not, he is simple - teach him.
He who knows and knows not he knows, he is asleep - awaken him.
He who knows and knows that he knows, he is wise - follow him. "
Arabia

#13    Aslan

Aslan

Psychic Spy

• 1,523 posts

• Scariest Member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 26 June 2005 - 07:28 PM

Does this not come down to whether faith is a matter of choice or not. This is not an unimportant question. For my part, faith is wholly outside the realms of choice, and you can no more choose to believe something than you can choose your ethnicity. If you believe that faith is 'unchoosable', then what point in advocating one denomination over another; if you believe it is 'choosable' then why 'choose' for your child?

Devil's advocate, I'm playing. wink2.gif

#14    Norbert Dentressangle

Norbert Dentressangle

Convoi exceptionnel

• 26,086 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 26 June 2005 - 07:31 PM

I do think there's a lot to be said for instilling the virtues of religion - caring for others, turning the other cheek, sanctity of life - in children, but not that they should be indoctrinated with one particular strand, one particular church, until they're old enough to make their own choices.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

:cat:

#15    Doccy

Doccy

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 91 posts

• Would you die for your country? - I'd rather live for it.

Posted 26 June 2005 - 07:39 PM

Like someone told here earlier, tell your kids about your God. Teach them and show them what kind he is. But leave them and yourself open-minded. In time they will choose by themselves, what suits themselves the best,e be it Buddha or Allah.

Most important is that you support them, whatever they choose (as long as it isnt Satan, worshipping evil shows they have something wrong in their head).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users