Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Should We choose our Childs Religion?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#31    whoa182

whoa182

Poltergeist

• 2,710 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 04:09 AM

QUOTE(2PAC4LIFE @ Jun 26 2005, 06:35 PM)
How can you let them decide if you never teach them. Teach them while their young then once they get older they are on their own then they decide I say.

View Post

Nah thats not right at all.  That is like hard wiring it into their brain. training them into a religion.   Children do not really understand religion at all.   Most kids will mindlessly follow any religion they are given by their parents in thinking that its actually important in life and you can't life without it.

As a person matures they should then be taught about religion.  

There is absaloutly no point in teaching religion to a child.  Unless you want to train them into your way of thinking.

Lets say there is  a kid named bobby.   Hes a few months old.  Do you baptise bobby?   Did boby ask for this ?   --   I think not.

Now little bobby is five.   What are you going to do?   Say to him " hey heres a few religions, study them and decide which you want to follow"

Thats ridiculous and even tho little bobby can read the stuff on these religions, he will never really grasp and understand the bigger picture.  

There is no need for religion in a childs life.  Im sure its well worth learning about in later life. probably high school.  or at around 12 years of age.

And I don't believe that a parents should be stamping a religion on a childs head when they are born.

Edited by whoa182, 30 June 2005 - 04:17 AM.

Posted Image

#32    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 28,287 posts

• Paranoid Android... *whaa--*

Posted 30 June 2005 - 05:00 AM

Some good points, Whoa.  I do not like infant baptism.  It serves no purpose and often only gets in the way of true worship of God.

I also agree that it would be good to let a child decide about religion later in life.  However it is simply not practical.  If I go to church every Sunday with my hypothetical wife and hypothetical 7 year old, am I to tell them not to listen in Sunday School because it might not be the right thing for them when they get older.

Or am I to leave my hypothetical child at home alone for fear of indoctrination.

Just a thought.  All the best,

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#33    hyperactive

hyperactive

abu gaia

• 5,691 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 05:04 AM

also note BFG, the indoctorinated are not going to think about it the way you just put it.

"He who knows not and knows not he knows not, he is a fool - shun him.
He who knows not and knows he knows not, he is simple - teach him.
He who knows and knows not he knows, he is asleep - awaken him.
He who knows and knows that he knows, he is wise - follow him. "
Arabia

#34    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 28,287 posts

• Paranoid Android... *whaa--*

Posted 30 June 2005 - 05:06 AM

But of course

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#35    Mr Slayer

Mr Slayer

Stay SLA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 06:17 AM

The only respectable Christians are the Baptists, who baptise adults which have chosen their fate themselves and who haven't got brainwashed as children.

#36    Ashley-Star*Child

Ashley-Star*Child

Alien Abducter

• 5,015 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 07:15 AM

This is a personal question really, and something which was bought up before and turned into a flame war.

Personally, when and if I have children, I'd raise them with my beliefs. If they, of their own free will decided to choose differently, it's their own perogative, I'm not a dictator. I believe faith should be of your own free will, otherwise what's the point?. You should really mean it, not lip service it.

Having said that, I have a diverse religious background. Both my parents are Christian, but my father is Orthodox, my mother RC. My mother tried out Buddhism for a while (but still believed in God), and we started pracicing Judaism when I was about 13. So, I was Baptised Orthodox, then I was, as much as I and my mother pleaded in my Catholic school's convent, to make my Communion, refused. Yes, They refused to give me Communion, I still have no idea why. However, the revoked tht and finally, alowed me to make my Communion and the priest who ultimately was behind th objection got sent away for 'solitude' elsewhere. Made my Confirmation in 6th grade, not long after my mother looked into Buddhism, and after that we started Judaism. However, we still, obviously believed in Jesus. So really, it's a mixture of both religions. And since then I've found many lost books, so my beliefs are quite diverse. The bottom line is I believe in God, I believe Jesus as His Son, Mary, angels, saints, but I follow the rules of od as they are actually written and do not accept the man-made rule additions. I can make up my own mind.

Posted Image

#37    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 24,789 posts

• "If one is to be thought acceptable and agreeable in society, one must submit to being taught the same lessons over and over again." --Hammer

Posted 30 June 2005 - 03:41 PM

Ashley  that was a very beautiful post,  I have children they ask lots of questions
We are spiritual which basically means that We come up with our own ideas about God based on personal experience and tht God lives within.  I love Buddism and many of the eastern religions yet I have also found truth and beauty everywhere, I don't believe sacredness is found in one place, God is all there is to me. I believe all paths lead to god. We would never dream of insisting our children believe like us (of course the main messages of how I live my life will rub off) I have rock solid trust in God and I know that whatever path my kid is on God is with them and they will get to God.  I feel the creator knows whats she is doing .

#38    101

PA's Girl

• 4,992 posts

• One half of the perenially, perpetually, purpotratedly, proudly, perfectly, placidly, pleasantly, purposely, presently promised couple to be on UM.

Posted 30 June 2005 - 03:50 PM

I believe we as parents should guide our child(ren) in the right path. Not necessarily religion but with good morals. I know I was raised Christian. But I also could have choosen to become a different one if I chose. But as a child I knew that this is what was right. I just decided to be a christian. I don't know much about other religions. But I do a little now. I think all are interesting. But we have to pick what is right to us.

Posted Image

Just remember, you can do anything (that is physically possible) that you set your mind to.  All you have to do is believe in yourself.- Mako

#39    dmgspycat

dmgspycat

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

• There is nothing wrong with America that cannot be fixed with what is right with America.-President Bill Clinton

Posted 02 July 2005 - 06:32 PM

QUOTE(Sheri berri @ Jun 26 2005, 01:13 PM)
In my family this is a big deal, Should we as parents choose our childs religion???
Do we do more harm or good by this practice????  For me I  Certainly express and live a viewpoint which very clearly gives an example of my awareness of God?

As a parent I know that for  a time I am my childs definition of all things,  until they begin to think for themselves  ( We refer to that as Rebellion)  As parents if our child chooses to find their own path to God should we insist they see God in our way or allow them to see God in their own way? Do our children have our  okay to question our values?

I'd apprciate your perspective on this whether you have children or not.

View Post

They will eventually choose their own one day...thats for sure but you are not hurting them by taking them with you to your church...the important thing is that you do things together as a family. Guide them along the way so as not let preists or nuns have to much influence over their young impressionable minds. They are there mainly to learn what to do and not do in society. Gaurd them against self-righteousness and being over zealous. In other words dont let them take it too seriously...because "the way" is different for all of us. Regards.

"You get your information from the daily press. Yet that is the very last place on earth to seek for truth in any state of form." Emma Goldman, March 1, 1933

"But this is their game. They're counting on your patriotism to distract you from their plunder. They're counting on you to be standing at attention with your hand over your heart, pledging allegiance to the flag, while they pick your pocket!" Bill Moyers

#40    shandar5

shandar5

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 10:05 PM

We allow the grandparents to take the kids to church. But at the same time we ensure that everything they are taught there is approached with reason. We never push our beliefs, however, we teach them to use their own brain and decide for themselves what is possible.

#41    Neo2005

Neo2005

The One

• 3,523 posts

• If you die in the matrix you die here?
    The body cannot live without the mind.

Posted 03 July 2005 - 10:05 PM

We have to let the choose what they want to asociated with.

#42    Rachael

Rachael

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 10:49 PM

Well put it this way - ya can't leave them at home alone - can you?

So if you are a practicing 'something' - they are tagging along for the ride.

But IMO - it is better to be raised within a faith than out of one.

#43    Euphoric Deception

Euphoric Deception

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

• The only certain thing in life is death.

Posted 04 July 2005 - 12:16 AM

QUOTE(Sheri berri @ Jun 26 2005, 05:13 PM)
In my family this is a big deal, Should we as parents choose our childs religion???
Do we do more harm or good by this practice????  For me I  Certainly express and live a viewpoint which very clearly gives an example of my awareness of God?

As a parent I know that for  a time I am my childs definition of all things,  until they begin to think for themselves  ( We refer to that as Rebellion)  As parents if our child chooses to find their own path to God should we insist they see God in our way or allow them to see God in their own way? Do our children have our  okay to question our values?

I'd apprciate your perspective on this whether you have children or not.

View Post

No, your child's religion is not your choice. Its not rebellion either. And damn straight they can question your values.  All you can do is to let them see your prefered way and thats it. He/she should decide for themselves. It would be selfish, one-sided, and unreasonable of you to choose your own son or daughters religion.

Posted Image

#44    Carla

Carla

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 02:49 PM

I think that we should allow our children to find God in there own time but we can point them in the right direction.

#45    bacca

bacca

Puppet master of Vision

• 2,432 posts

• Allasourous
    Jan 2003-Sept 25 2005
    Have a SUPER SPARKLEY DAY

Posted 05 July 2005 - 03:25 PM

If the parent didn't teach their child about religion how would the adult have anything to go on to make a decision for themselves later? As a parent you do what you think is right for your child. So you teach them the things that you believe; support the choices that they make on their own, all the while hoping that they do what is right.....probably hoping they do what you want; which is natural since as we already know everyone thinks they are right?  laugh.gif   So to answer the original post, of course you need to teach your child your own belief system what else would you teach them? that's like asking should you teach your child to respect or the basics of right and wrong, those are things that a child needs to have a basis of so that they have enough info later on in their own life.....but just my opinion  devil.gif

Commit random acts of kindness

Careful what you wish for, you just might get it!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users