Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Behold the pentaquark

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    Starlyte

Starlyte

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts

• Wisdom begins in wonder.
    --Socrates

Posted 03 July 2003 - 04:43 PM

Physicists have discovered a new class of subatomic particle that will provide unexpected insights into the fundamental building blocks of matter.

The discovery involves quarks - particles that make up the protons and neutrons usually found in the nuclei of atoms.

The new particle is the so-called pentaquark - five quarks in formation. Until now, physicists had only seen quarks packed into two- or three-quark combinations.

They say the discovery of this new particle should have far-reaching consequences for our understanding of how the Universe is put together.

Full Article LINK                                                      

The Earth has music for those who listen." - Shakespeare

Posted Image

#2    antares

antares

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 295 posts

• Cor Scorpii

Posted 03 July 2003 - 04:55 PM

Good article, Starlyte!

The full article says: "The report says that pentaquarks were created by blasting carbon atoms with X-rays..."

I just wonder if these pentaquarks are stable or they are something like the transuranium elements - created from human experiments and non existing in Nature....                                                      

#3    Nethius

Nethius

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 03 July 2003 - 05:57 PM

cool stuff!  i often wish i was born like 1000 years from now, maybe by then we would understand our universe a lot better by then!?!                                                      

#4    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 04 July 2003 - 06:54 PM

Excellent article starlyte original.gif

pentaquark's are cool cool.gif                                                      

אַ֭תָּה אֱלֹהֵ֣י יִשְׁעִ֑י

#5    Starlyte

Starlyte

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,657 posts

• Wisdom begins in wonder.
    --Socrates

Posted 07 July 2003 - 02:26 PM

I thought this article might peak your interest Homer.   grin2.gif   I'm glad all of you found it as fascinating as I did!                                                      

The Earth has music for those who listen." - Shakespeare

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users