Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

How to ward off Evil Spirits

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1    CharmedFan3

CharmedFan3

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 538 posts

• CHARMED
    PRUE.PIPER.PHOEBE,PAIGE

Posted 30 June 2005 - 04:35 AM

In this thread we get to discuss ways of banishing or warding off Evil Spirits

MINT-wards off evil spirits

SALT IN UR POCKET wards off evil spirits

#2    isis-999

isis-999

Goddess Of Darkness and Desire

• 5,312 posts

• The Bestowed Eye's of my God, Eye's of my past, lover of my future.. A Thousand's lifes all to live this One...The Steel Circle,

Posted 30 June 2005 - 05:05 AM

Believeing in GOD wards off evil, asking your guarding angle to protect you wards off evil, being a good person and doing what is right wards of evil just my believe's innocent.gif

Posted Image
THE BESTOWED EYE'S OF MY GOD... GODDESS OF DESIRE....http://paranormalborder.net/index/
Sig By: Arsenik...... My Favorite vampire!!

#3    Pilgrim Shadow

Pilgrim Shadow

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 164 posts

• Language is a virus from outer space
    --WSB

Posted 30 June 2005 - 10:18 AM

Why does salt or mint ward off evil spirits?

A functioning police state needs no police.
--William S. Burroughs

Posted Image

Who are the brain police?
--Frank Zappa

#4    Kismit

Kismit

Telekinetic

• 7,680 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 10:36 AM

My belief is it kills bacteria and germs and was quite difficult to come by many centuries ago. It has been viewed for centuries as a cleanser and would have actually been capable of stopping such deadly diseases as the morbid sore throat.

It is part of our in built belief system that things like mint and salt can be seen as healing. And therefor seen to work for cleaning away spirits.

Edited by Kismit, 30 June 2005 - 10:40 AM.

#5    Amalgamut

Amalgamut

Government Agent

• 3,535 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 11:31 AM

Onions and garlic!

Or is that only vampires?

Why tiptoe quietly through life just to arrive safely at death?

#6    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 24,601 posts

• Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 30 June 2005 - 11:37 AM

A bottle or two of whiskey usually does the trick  thumbsup.gif

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#7    Hoagy

Hoagy

Gravediggers union - Local 138

• 2,443 posts

• "It is a happy man who is loved and liked by everyone..."

~ Ođinn, Hávamál

Posted 30 June 2005 - 12:50 PM

I dunno, not believing in them in the first place?  I heard that certain crystals could help, as in keeping positive energy flowing? huh.gif

It hurts more on the inside...
Posted Image
Zombie survival tips....

#8    mishalee

mishalee

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 26 posts

• Quite frankly, I couldn't care less!

Posted 30 June 2005 - 01:37 PM

I think that wolfsbane or wild roses ward off vamps, as far as I know. I know that they can only be killed off by hacking off their heads, burning their bodies, and scattering their ashes in different locations. Stakes an crosses will only render a vampire immobile temporarily, contrary to belief that those things will kill them.
Anyhow, this thread is about warding of evil, not vampires in general..
However, I DID hear that smudging (burning a bundle of pine needles and sage) will clear your home of evil spirits and bad luck. As well as walking around your house 13 times on Friday the 13th (this one is probably a myth though).

*Signature removed, exceeds permitted size guidelines - Click Here for details.

#9    Nadia B.

Nadia B.

Streaky Freak

• 3,407 posts

• Demented Momilie of the Day: There is not a tampon in this world that will give you the joy and freedom portrayed in a Tampax commercial.

Posted 30 June 2005 - 01:54 PM

QUOTE(mishalee @ Jun 30 2005, 09:37 AM)
I think that wolfsbane or wild roses ward off vamps, as far as I know. I know that they can only be killed off by hacking off their heads, burning their bodies, and scattering their ashes in different locations. Stakes an crosses will only render a vampire immobile temporarily, contrary to belief that those things will kill them.
Anyhow, this thread is about warding of evil, not vampires in general..
However, I DID hear that smudging (burning a bundle of pine needles and sage) will clear your home of evil spirits and bad luck. As well as walking around your house 13 times on Friday the 13th (this one is probably a myth though).

View Post

Goodness, I'm glad I don't have a problem with any of these things!  I'm too lazy to do all this stuff.  I do, however, have a little gremlin at home who plunders in my yarn basket when I'm not looking.  I can leave a clean room and come back to a spider's web!  Seriously, I even got a picture.  Check out the avatar.  thumbsup.gif

Posted Image
Skepticism is good, but when you reach a certain level where
you're grasping at straws and making little sense... it's not
called skepticism.  It's called ignorance.
CRYPTO ENTHUSIAST GUYS ROCK!

#10    _Nyx_

_Nyx_

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 11,262 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 01:58 PM

Here's what I've come up with....

Charms

Any magical words, phrases, chants, and incantations recited for protection against or for disease or to ward off evil. Charms have existed since ancient times and are still prevalent in folk magic. While some charm may be verbally or silently recited, such as a phrase, formula, mantra, or prayer, others are inscriptions written or inscribed on paper, parchment, wood or other material which may be worm on the body as amulets. Still other charms, such as certain prescribed ways of spitting, may consist of both phrases and actions. Charms, used for divination, have been attempted to obtain almost every desire or purpose imaginable. They have been tried to gain or lose a lover; eliminate an enemy; ensure chastity, fertility and potency; to gain victory, riches and fame; and to exact revenge.

Charms in agricultural communities have been employed to protect crops and farm animals; to gain help with milking churning butter, and in getting rid of rodents, vermin and weeds.

History:

The mystical word abracadabra dates back to the second-century Rome. Other charms, words and phrases, were written on parchment and worn around the neck. They were worn to bring good fortune and cure illnesses.

Even the early Christian church encouraged the use on many holy charms such as rosaries and holy relics. During the 17th century, rosaries were similarly blessed as amulets offering protection against fire, tempest, fever, and evil spirits.

Witches and wizards during the medieval age were renowned as healers who used many charms. They were frequently known as "charmers" and employed Christian prayers spoken or written in Latin, or, as some claimed, debased Christian prayers. Although the Church did approve of the use of prayers and the Scriptures as cures and as protection against evil, it disapproved of the prescription of them by the sorcerers or charmers. This created a rather contradictory situation which obscured the distinction between religion and magic.

During the 17th century, a Nottingham sorcerer, sold copies of St. John's Gospel as a charm against witchcraft. To break a witch's spell he prescribed the recitation of five Paternosters, five Aves and One Creed. It might be judged that this sorcerer knew something about Christianity and absolution in the confessional.

The following 19th-century English charm, which is typical of some charms composed of simple little verses, is for protection against witchcraft:

He who forges images, he who bewitches
the malevolent aspect, the evil eye,
the malevolent lip, the finest sorcery,
Spirit of the heaven, conjure it! Spirit of the earth,
conjure it!

Witches reportedly had their good-luck charms, according to the following old folk-magic verse:

The fire bites, the fire bites; Hogs-turd over it, Hogs-
turd over it, Hogs-turd over it; the Father with thee,
the Son with me, the Holy Ghost between us both
to be: ter.

After reciting the verse, the witch spit once over each shoulder and three times forward.

Present:

With the advances of science during the 17th century the effectiveness of magical charms began to be challenged. The ways of folk-magic began diminishing, especially within urban areas. However, all belief and sentiment for charms was never completely destroyed. Even within industrial cities today traces of them remain. An example of this is the popular charm to divine love: "He/she loves me, he/she loves me not" said while pulling our the pedals of a daisy.

Charms are still recited by many when participating in magic-related activities such as gathering medicinal herbs, consecrating objects, or boiling a pot of urine to break a witch's spell.

In much of Neo-paganisn the term charm, which is considered obsolete, has been replaced by terms like the chant, incantation, and rune.

In Shamanism charms are used to conjure spirits, destroy enemies, create talismans, and exorcise disease.

Generally amulets may be charmed objects while spells are the recital of charms. A.G.H.

Source

#11    Admiral Rhubarb

Admiral Rhubarb

An Inspiration to Millions

• 23,432 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 30 June 2005 - 02:31 PM

I'd recommend an M1A1 Abrams tank.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#12    Nadia B.

Nadia B.

Streaky Freak

• 3,407 posts

• Demented Momilie of the Day: There is not a tampon in this world that will give you the joy and freedom portrayed in a Tampax commercial.

Posted 30 June 2005 - 02:55 PM

Seriously, though.  I always wear my St. Christopher's metal.  You just never know, and it doesn't hurt.

Posted Image
Skepticism is good, but when you reach a certain level where
you're grasping at straws and making little sense... it's not
called skepticism.  It's called ignorance.
CRYPTO ENTHUSIAST GUYS ROCK!

#13    Hoagy

Hoagy

Gravediggers union - Local 138

• 2,443 posts

• "It is a happy man who is loved and liked by everyone..."

~ Ođinn, Hávamál

Posted 30 June 2005 - 03:06 PM

I think if you wear any kind of icon, it is the belief behind it that counts.  Would you feel vulnerable if you lost it, for example?

It hurts more on the inside...
Posted Image
Zombie survival tips....

#14    distortedpandy

distortedpandy

Alien Abducter

• 5,291 posts

Posted 30 June 2005 - 03:20 PM

QUOTE(isis-999 @ Jun 30 2005, 01:05 AM)
Believeing in GOD wards off evil, asking your guarding angle to protect you wards off evil, being a good person and doing what is right wards of evil just my believe's innocent.gif

View Post

Believing in God, eh?

That's kind of funny to say seeing all those pagan icons in your avatar and siggy  ph34r.gif

Sorry, Just my opinion...

I honestly believe the only way to ward off evil spirits is not to believe in them...

#15    Xoisk el Sońador

Xoisk el Sońador

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts

• Para vivir, se tiene que aprender a perdonar y olvidar.

Posted 30 June 2005 - 03:33 PM

Yea I've heard salt is a big good luck charm...

ŤA donde fueres, haz lo que vieresť.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users