Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Universal Introduction Thread!

First of Two

Since there are so many "Hello, new to here" threads, I thought it would be a good idea to create one place where everyon, new and old, gives out the info about themselves they feel comfy with the rest of the site knowing.

You have to give:

What name you want to go by (screen name, real name, internet alias)

How you found this site

Why you keep coming

Everything else is optional grin2.gif

Thread founders first *sigh*

My name is Aria, Professional Loser/Internet Geek... yeah, I can admit it.

Um, not much to say that I haven't said or implied elsewhere on this site- I like to draw, write and play guitar, I've been told that I'm weird, and that's about all there is.

I first began reading this site after hearing about it from some loser on web-reviews, a now-extinct internet review site I used to research and write articles for. To make a long story short, this site's popularity threatened a site that he liked, so he was trying to manipulate us into writing a bad review while him and several friends from afforementioned site tried baiting this forum for credibility attacks. It backfired- not only did I like this site enough to join it, but the first thing I did was IM the staff about what this jerk and his friends were doing. The rest is... sensitive.

I keep coming to this site because it actually allows you to have a voice- it's not like those so-called "final word" sites where they just spout off what people want to hear, and someone can be banned for something as trivial as oh, say... having an opinion of their own. I've been to enough of those, and here's a paraphrased script of what I've begun seeing a lot on some sites:

#1: It happens like this, because ___________ was thinking this, and ____________ thought this, but ______________ was an idiot, and everyone knows this, so who needs evidence?

#2: I know you don't need evidence, but can you present some? For just in case this makes the archives...

#1: **** you! Who the hell asked your opinion- keep it to yourself, and let the people with brains talk!

#3: I agree with _____________; you're a total retard, and your presence has singlehandedly lowers the quality of this website. Now surrender your resignation!

#4: They're still here? And you're still listening to them? #2 has never been capable of coherent thought... we just keep them around because we're that nice.

#2: I just asked for evidence to #1's statements...

Webmaster: No, you just sat around and blatantly started a fight- do it again, and you're off my site.

Show me a convo like that(that wasn't started by a now-banned troll), and I'll be shocked. Threads like that are becoming an all-too-common theme on so-called information sites (and I use that term loosely in a few cases I refuse to name), and it's nice to see a site where psuedo-intelluctual creeps borderlining sociopathic and see fit to talk to others like that are quickly set in their place- or on their way, if it's clear that's all they are. That's why I keep coming here.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• First of Two

• Subtemperate

• Paranoid Android

• DJLBG

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi my name's Robert and I am not an alcoholic. grin2.gif

I'm a theatre student at university studying to be a teacher (probably) although i wouldn't mind moving into directing/acting.

There's not much to say really. I actually found this site completely by accident. i was doing a google search on Halo 2 and it came up with a link to this site. I looked a bit deeper into this site, liked what I saw and well, the rest is history.

All the best,

How does one shmooze?

hmm...

You know, I think back to how I found this site, and I can't honestly remember too well...I think it was actually Talon who introduced me to it (although he registered far later than I did). He was looking at pictures of bigfoot or something, and I thought "hey, cool", and made a few posts in the gallary.

I was actually posting in the gallary for a few weeks before I actually signed up at the forums...hmm...*goes to see if she can track down her very first post*

world's unluckiest/stupidest human being?

What an...odd things to be my first post huh.gif

Hrm...I can't remember how I first came upon UM, though I think it was looking for Ghost pics. Back then, I believed in almost everything. Without second thought. After a while, and reading silly accounts, I started to think about all that stuff. Eventually, I stopped believing in a lot of it. It just stopped making any logical sense.

I had actually forgotten about UM once. For about 4-6 months. Then one day, when looking though some old links on a CD, I found a link to UM. I've been, more or less, stuck here since.

Sounds Interesting...

40435[/snapback]

Glad to see that I had a lot to say in my first post. =\

I was looking for something strange as well and I ended up here. I liked it so much I stayed. Even though some people were not to nice to me at first; it didn't matter in the long run. Besides, I was acting like a tool in the early days.

Hmmmmm.... Well, im Subby and I'll be your waiter this evening....

I joined because i was, how it would be put, stalking someone who was a member here...... Shes said it many a time...lol I joined under the name Verrog, and then changed it to Subtemperate... which is the name I mostly use....

I stay here because I love it, Im a mod, and I have an appearence to uphold... grin2.gif

How does one shmooze?

706989[/snapback]

I donno, I got that word from the Disney Hercules movie... I always assumed it meant to just sit around and soak in the life, but I never looked it up hmm.gif .

Just sit back and read the posts every puts, then reply to the important questions like the meaning of shmooze, laugh.gif

(wishes she put a less retarded word in place of shmooze)

Edited by First of Two

Hi, I'm 747400, you can call me 747. My real name is a closely guarded secret known only to a few very close friends. original.gif

I was kind of browsing around UFO/secret airplane type stuff, I'd found one or two forums that while they had some interesting stuff, were so stuffed with spamming and general unpleasantness that this place came as a refreshing change. It's very friendly (even those you disagree with you often end up making friends with), the mods are friendly and do their job efficiently but not heavy-handedly, and there's such a wide range of interest that isn't influenced by any particular political angle.

original.gif

Hello First of Two..I am Falco Rex. I am your overlord. I think you'll find I control both the horizontal and the vertical..

Please do not attempt anything so foolish as trying to change the channel..

Sorry..Random attack of Megalomania..

Anyway, I registered on this site long ago but didn't post much, as back then everyone on here was from Britian and I wasn't sure they'd care much for American opinions..

Then I forgot my account details over time, and reregistered. Only this time I decided I didn't give a damn what anyone thought about my opinions and started posting anyway..

The rest is history.. tongue.gif

My name is Lila....call me Lila, LilaB, LilaBurrows, Your Highness, makes no difference to me. I came for the ghosts and stayed for the fights. Kidding, I stayed for the fun and have met a few people I actually like (trust me, this is most unusual). I'm usually in the jokes section mainly because that's where my area of expertise lies....being sarcastic and funny seem to come natural to me. I add my two cents here and there when I feel it's appropriate. You probably won't get any deep or wise philosophical insights from me, but I'm unpredictable. original.gif

user posted image

*decideds to edit and leave below message*

(See mods can drink too much too)

Edited by Subtemperate

Even so, I don't think we need to close this until it actually does become a chat thread, especially since the other thread was closed for that reason and this thread will give an opportunity to continue where it left off before that happened.

Besides, I'm quite interested in hearing how members found this site originally and what encouraged them to start posting. thumbsup.gif

I never get involved in any online chats or discussion groups, even now this is the only one. I have always had an interest in the unexplained especially Crypto stuff and visited UM along with many other sites on a regular basis, UM always seemed to have that something that was a little different than the rest, so I took the plunge and have been sinking ever since.

This place is run and managed well by a great sanitation department and now my Daughter has even joined, there rae obviously certain places I don't want her to go on UM but her interests and me sat by her ensures she does not stray too far from the flock.

Hey Big fella and Chief sanitation Officer thumbsup.gif

Edited by XSAS

Hi, I'm Kratos, I can go by Kratos. tongue.gif

I actually found this site from a guy in a chess room because we were fighting over night demons... he gave me the link to UM thread and presto, you got Kratos. laugh.gif

I keep coming because I like to see other peoples thoughts and ideas to expand my own knowledge of the world around me and for some fun.

Even so, I don't think we need to close this until it actually does become a chat thread, especially since the other thread was closed for that reason and this thread will give an opportunity to continue where it left off before that happened.

Besides, I'm quite interested in hearing how members found this site originally and what encouraged them to start posting. thumbsup.gif

707174[/snapback]

Sadly, that's inevitable, but hopefully we get a lot of introductions before people begin just chatting. thumbsup.giflaugh.gif

Hi, my name is Galor, real name James, past life name James (amazingly), and I've been with UM for over a year now grin2.gif

I actually found this site because of a chatterbot called oliverbot, and I searched him in google and found a thread on it in UM and bang i've joined.

I'm not exactly sure why I keep comign back to UM; here are some possibels reasons a) I have a unexplained-mysteries fetish, cool.gif I have nothing better to do with my life or c) I enjoy the sight and am interested in unexplained mysteries.

wavey.gifHi I'm Nativechick1989, but you can call me NC! Pay no attention to the numbers, they have confused quite a lot of people here on UM. tongue.gif

I actually came to this site, by watching the TV show 'Unexplained Mysteries'!

I started visiting this site LONG before I decided to join. I would come in as a guest, read the news articles and some of the topics in the forum. Then one day I read a topic that I just had to reply to . . . so that's how I've became "Nativechick1989".

I enjoy making my daily pilgrimage to the land of the 'unexplained' and meeting interesting people along the way.

thumbsup.gifyes.giforiginal.gifyes.gifthumbsup.gif

• 5 months later...

I'm New

Name: Christina DJLBG Rose

call me whatever you like

Found this Site by just randomly typing in the word spirituality fourms

Welcome to UM DJLBG :tu:

Wow, you had to dig pretty deep into the old threads to find this one to post in. I'd forgotten it even existed :P

Hi I am 101 or Susan.

I am a mom and a secretary or clerk- whatever.

I don't go to uni. But I will one day. lol.

My favorite color is yellow.

Oh and favorite - my um fiance. Paranoid Android.

:wub:

Welcome to UM DJLBG :tu:

Wow, you had to dig pretty deep into the old threads to find this one to post in. I'd forgotten it even existed :P

lol i just typed in words into the search

My real name is Dakota. I found this site when I typed in unexplained mysteries on Google. I have been stuck here ever since.