Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

College student gets F grade for mentioning God

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#31    Seraphina

Seraphina

Voted Best Member 2005

• 7,133 posts

• Everyone likes a smouldering and sexy glare from a diminutive scientist.

Posted 07 July 2005 - 08:10 PM

Amalgamut, as amusing as your very black picture is of athiests, I highly doubt that. Her F grade didn't have anything to do with her religious beliefs...it was about deliberately going against what the lecturer had requested for the paper. She decided to be a smart ass, and recieved exactly what she earned.

Posted Image

Apparantly, over on Exchristian.Net, they say that I'm "probably the smartest person" on UM....that is so cool...

#32    mako

mako

Poltergeist

• 2,770 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 08:18 PM

Sera, normally I would be 100% behind you, but if I don't protect the freedoms of the religious, then those freedoms won't be there to protect me from the religious.  Believe it or not, in  this country the woman could legally write Nazi propaganda and get away with it - sad but true!  Having lived in the UK, I know that it is a little different there, but remember, we got our freedoms from your example! - Mako  yes.gif

Our earth is degenerate in these latter days.  There are signs that the world is speedily coming to an end.  Bribery and corruption are common,   Children no longer obey their parents.  Every man wants to write a book, and the end of the world evidently is approaching.
                    Assyrian tablet circa 2800 BCE

#33    Amalgamut

Amalgamut

Government Agent

• 3,535 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 08:31 PM

QUOTE(Seraphina @ Jul 7 2005, 02:10 PM)
Amalgamut, as amusing as your very black picture is of athiests, I highly doubt that.

View Post

Sorry, I didnt mean it like that. I was just saying that I think this teacher has a problem with God.
Her F grade didn't have anything to do with her religious beliefs...it was about deliberately going against what the lecturer had requested for the paper.

View Post

I don't think it mentioned that it was going against what was requested for this paper. I could be mistaken, but I didn't see anything about what the requirements (or subject) of the paper was.
She decided to be a smart ass, and recieved exactly what she earned.

View Post

So, you are telling me that if an atheist student did the same thing (wrote a paper about how there is no God when the instructor specifically told her not to) she deserves the same thing?

Why tiptoe quietly through life just to arrive safely at death?

#34    Seraphina

Seraphina

Voted Best Member 2005

• 7,133 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 08:35 PM

So, you are telling me that if an atheist student did the same thing (wrote a paper about how there is no God when the instructor specifically told her not to) she deserves the same thing?

If the student wrote an essay talking about how there was no god for the sole purpose of mocking the lecturer, then yes, I feel an F would have been quite appropriate.

Posted Image

Apparantly, over on Exchristian.Net, they say that I'm "probably the smartest person" on UM....that is so cool...

#35    JMPD1

JMPD1

Child of the Universe

• 6,022 posts

• you want to know the answer? Hell, I'm still working on the question!

Posted 07 July 2005 - 08:36 PM

Again, I support Seras position.  

If the professor asked the class to write about their summer vacation, and the student chose to write about Einsteins Theory of Relativity, she would have gotten an "F" as well.

This is not about freedom of anything, it is about following instructions.  A classroom has been compared to a benign dictatorship:  the teacher dictates, and the students recite.

Quote of the Year 2006: HAY! I did more then just say I wanna be ina a man sammich! - SC

You have the right to remain silent.  You might want to think about exercising that right more often

Not Another Moment Lost To Seizures

#36    BurnSide

BurnSide

Through the Looking Glass

• 25,390 posts

• “Experience is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you.”

Posted 07 July 2005 - 08:40 PM

If a professor states a guideline for a paper, you follow the guidelines.
If you do not, you fail.

The same have happened if the professor asked the article to be about god, and the student deliberate made the article nothing about god. They would have failed.

That is what school is. Doing the work you're set, and getting graded on it. If we're going to start passing people who can't even follow a simple guideline, why don't we just give everyone diplomas for doing nothing at all, and we'll see where that goes.

rolleyes.gif

#37    Amalgamut

Amalgamut

Government Agent

• 3,535 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 08:40 PM

"I have one limiting factor – no mention of big 'G' gods, i.e., one, true god argumentation," Shefchik stated.

"He told me you might as well write about the Easter Bunny," Hauf told the Daily Press. "He wanted to censor the word God."

Why tiptoe quietly through life just to arrive safely at death?

#38    Seraphina

Seraphina

Voted Best Member 2005

• 7,133 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 08:42 PM

So he said he wanted no "one true god" arguements...and she did it anyway...and failed. Where does the confusion come from? huh.gif

Posted Image

#39    ABOTU

ABOTU

L'Isola Sola

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,090 posts

• Instant Karma's Gonna Get You

Posted 07 July 2005 - 08:49 PM

it could have been a good paper.... The teacher should not have told her not to include F in it.... but she seemed to kinda  been prompting him, writing a story about God when she knows he doesn't believe in God. That still gives him no right to say that though...

Posted Image

^Nadia is my hero!

Participant in largest mass booting from UM chatroom.

#40    Seraphina

Seraphina

Voted Best Member 2005

• 7,133 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 08:54 PM

You know, in my first year of university, I was told to write an essay in the form of a short story, in which a tiny submarine explores the human respiratory system (this is my first essay in uni by the way, that I got an 80 something% on).

I acheived that 80 something % by going home, and writing about a submarine going through the human respiratory system....I would not have recieved an 80 something % had I written about a submarine going through the bloodstream...or the digestive system...or if I'd written about the respiratory system, but done so by writing about a seriel killer hacking someone's out and examining it in great detail.

In fact, for all of the above, I could have expected an F (and, in the case of the last one, a visit to a psychologist tongue.gif).

This girl did the same thing...she ignored instructions. In fact, she didn't just ignore them, she seems to have deliberately gone against them with the purpose of ticking off her lecturer. She does deserve that F, like it or not.

Posted Image

#41    JMPD1

JMPD1

Child of the Universe

• 6,022 posts

• you want to know the answer? Hell, I'm still working on the question!

Posted 07 July 2005 - 08:58 PM

Just for perspective, these are some of the other news articles from the same site:

'Hillary inside the Pearly Gates!' By Craige McMillan
Click for these scintillating columns, others

Report: IRS probes evangelist Benny Hinn

Planet now shifting to Christianity
Slashed price on book that makes case for fastest growing faith on Earth

New blast for 'Bible Code Bombshell'!
Mathematics expert, ex-skeptic helps prove God's authorship

Christian campus warrior tells how to survive college
Book shows entering students how to combat hostile worldviews

Group tireless in supporting persecuted church
Founder of Voice of the Martyrs jailed, tortured by Communists for years

China arrests bishop  
Detained for 6th time in 18 months after 20 years in prison

Pastor on trial for storing Christian lit  
Leader of house churches faces years in jail

Meet Planned Parenthood's No. 1 enemy
Author's handbook provides succinct responses to 90 abortion arguments

Abortion clinic blaze called 'terrorism'  
Police investigating but pro-lifers immediately suspected

The ex-gay gene?
Nicholas Jackson reveals what students subjected to in public classrooms
--WorldView Weekend

How the homosexual agenda affects your family
'The Gay Agenda' lays out implications of same-sex marriage movement

A little food for thought:  Think they may have some sort of bias?????

Quote of the Year 2006: HAY! I did more then just say I wanna be ina a man sammich! - SC

You have the right to remain silent.  You might want to think about exercising that right more often

Not Another Moment Lost To Seizures

#42    Seraphina

Seraphina

Voted Best Member 2005

• 7,133 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 09:05 PM

A little food for thought: Think they may have some sort of bias?????

Just could be tongue.gif

Posted Image

#43    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 26,705 posts

• Paranoid Android... Gorram it kid, let's frak this thing and go home! Make it so!

Posted 08 July 2005 - 05:55 AM

QUOTE(JMPD1 @ Jul 8 2005, 06:58 AM)
A little food for thought:  Think they may have some sort of bias?????

View Post

Of course they have bias.  everyone has bias.  that takes nothing away from the merits of the case.....

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#44    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 26,705 posts

• Paranoid Android... Gorram it kid, let's frak this thing and go home! Make it so!

Posted 08 July 2005 - 06:04 AM

QUOTE(Seraphina @ Jul 7 2005, 11:03 PM)
I believe the paper was a load of garbage based on it's premise...the belief that religion is vital in running a nation. Religion, in the past and the present, has actually been the greatest source of division among mankind ever divised...any paper based upon this premise is, quite frankly, going to be full of tripe.

No offense Sera, but that's just your opinion there.  A case can be made for the role that God has played in the shaping of the nation - as long as she argued that case on its merits, she should not have been given an F.  I mean, you all moan that all the American Presidents have been Christian (or at least claimed such).  Furthermore, after any tragedy, the President is seen on national television praying for the nation.  People swear on the Bible when giving testimony in court.  In God we trust is an integral mantra of the American nation (at least as far as I am aware).  God plays a part, whether you believe it should or not is another matter.  This person was quite within her right to argue such.  

As far as I am aware, the lecturer would have allowed the paper if the student had changed the terminology to the small "g" god (which is generic and non-conforming to any specific belief structure).  So you can mention god, but not God, if you know what i mean.

All the best,  

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#45    mako

mako

Poltergeist

• 2,770 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 12:03 PM

A little food for thought: Think they may have some sort of bias?????

I went back and checked it out and have to agree with you....mea culpa, I should have checked closer so that I could point that out.  I do agree with BFG, everything written is biased to a extent, but a good author tries to keep his/her bias to a minimum. yes.gif

Our earth is degenerate in these latter days.  There are signs that the world is speedily coming to an end.  Bribery and corruption are common,   Children no longer obey their parents.  Every man wants to write a book, and the end of the world evidently is approaching.
                    Assyrian tablet circa 2800 BCE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users