Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Need some advice on the unforgiveable sin...

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1    TaintedDoughnuts

TaintedDoughnuts

Voted Most Original Username 2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts

• Moo.

Posted 01 July 2005 - 09:04 AM

I have a friend, "Bob," who isn't quite atheist, since he does believe in God, but he says some awful things about God, such as he despites God, he doesn't like Him, etc.  Now, I'm concerned for my friend's spiritual life, and my question is:  What does a person do or say to commit blasphemy against the holy spirit?  Can my friend still be saved if I change his view of God, or has he already fallen beyond saving?  Any info would be a big help.

#2    Kismit

Kismit

Telekinetic

• 7,680 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 09:25 AM

Perhaps he is just finding a different path?  hmm.gif

#3    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,873 posts

• The origonal Damneddirtytreehugging-
    paganhippiewerecougarrum pirate.

Posted 01 July 2005 - 10:03 AM

Yeah.. just let him find what he's looking for.  If it's not with your god.. then support him and be his friend no matter what his spiritual path leads him to.

Doctor_Strangelove: If only I lived in a world with no risk of piss tests. Then I could just sit here and
watch videos on angelfish and become one with nature.

#4    Janiel

Janiel

Author of Best Signature 2005

• 11,369 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 10:06 AM

I agree with what Kis said, just because he's disowning YOUR god. Doesn't mean he isn't in blessings with his own "eternal being". If he has one. And saying things like that doesn't sound very athiest, it sounds more agnostic. Anyway, if he doesn't believe in god, then he shouldn't need "saving". Because if he's stout in his disbelief he won't need salvation, since he's come to terms and knows he won't be going anywhere after death. original.gif

Edited by Janiel, 01 July 2005 - 10:07 AM.

Posted Image
гордый фетишйст

#5    Seraphina

Seraphina

Voted Best Member 2005

• 7,133 posts

• Everyone likes a smouldering and sexy glare from a diminutive scientist.

Posted 01 July 2005 - 11:16 AM

Maybe he read the bible, and saw a few too many acts of genocide.

I wouldn't be altogether concerned...there are millions upon millions of people across the world who don't believe in your god (in fact, there are almost certainly more people who don't than there are that do), and are probably currently very worried about YOUR spiritual well being. One more isn't going to hurt.

Posted Image

Apparantly, over on Exchristian.Net, they say that I'm "probably the smartest person" on UM....that is so cool...

#6    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 27,316 posts

• Paranoid Android... Gorram it kid, let's frak this thing and go home! Make it so!

Posted 01 July 2005 - 02:28 PM

Some advice from a fellow believer -

I personally do not think that there is anything that God will not forgive if we repent and believe in Jesus.  If you wish to help your friend, the two most important things you can do are:

Pray - This is the first priority in anything Christians do.  God answers prayer.  Bring "Bob" before God.  

and

Just be there for him dude.  Don't stop hanging out with him just because he disagrees with your belief (I don't remember the exact statistics, but something like 80% of Christians lose contact with their non-christian friends within 2 years of being converted).  Show him the love that Jesus has shown you.  You can't do anything about how your friend reacts.  That is God's business - remember, you're just the messenger.  

Hope this helps.  All the best,

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#7    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 22,658 posts

• Dysfunctional you can fix.

Posted 01 July 2005 - 03:24 PM

Your friend is on his way to living his life fully awake, making decisions for himself, some of our greatest avatars at this time have been mad at God, it is a stage many go thru  athiesm is the point where we just don't want to believe in a religious God, we would rather take our chances than except a God that is so mean and vengeful and judgemental (I was once Atheist) The people that helped me the most were  the people who excepted and loved me anyways, I have since found my way religion is not a part of that path but I no longer hate religion I understand that it is the starting point for God as you grow in God you outgrow religion step away from it because it is no longer of use, Be happy for your friend he has incredible courage, When I stepped away from religion I made room for God to come in, I quit letting others tell me who God was and found out for myself, all the best to you and it sounds like you are a very caring friend Namaste Sheri berri,

#8    101

PA's Girl

• 4,992 posts

• One half of the perenially, perpetually, purpotratedly, proudly, perfectly, placidly, pleasantly, purposely, presently promised couple to be on UM.

Posted 01 July 2005 - 03:26 PM

Hey Td,

I think your friend hasn't commited the sin yet. But I am not sure.

the def. is- An indignity offered to God in words, writing, or signs; impiously irreverent words or signs addressed to, or used in reference to, God; speaking evil of God; also, the act of claiming the attributes or prerogatives of deity.

But just pray for your friend. He may be angry with God. But I know my mother was angry with God when my brother died and questioned him. I don't know if she said she hated him or not. But God knows your friend and his heart. You will only be able to pray for him. And that is what will take time.

God Bless, 101

Posted Image

Just remember, you can do anything (that is physically possible) that you set your mind to.  All you have to do is believe in yourself.- Mako

#9    Euphoric Deception

Euphoric Deception

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

• The only certain thing in life is death.

Posted 01 July 2005 - 03:32 PM

Wow, you're a good friend. Although it seems you are one of those jesus freaks. Like most people here said, let him follow his own path. If he despises god, he is not an atheist. Last time I remembered, atheists do not believen any religion. And to hate, you have to believe.

Posted Image

#10    TaintedDoughnuts

TaintedDoughnuts

• 1,542 posts

• Moo.

Posted 01 July 2005 - 06:13 PM

Thanks everyone for your opinions.  I think I will let him make his own choice, but I will pray for him to make the choice he's most comfortable with.

#11    101

PA's Girl

• 4,992 posts

• One half of the perenially, perpetually, purpotratedly, proudly, perfectly, placidly, pleasantly, purposely, presently promised couple to be on UM.

Posted 01 July 2005 - 06:19 PM

I think it is great your concerned for your friend TD. I will also pray for "Bob" so he can have guidance. I will pray for you too so you have the right knowledge to share with "Bob".

Posted Image

Just remember, you can do anything (that is physically possible) that you set your mind to.  All you have to do is believe in yourself.- Mako

#12    babayagafamiliar

babayagafamiliar

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 12:21 AM

QUOTE(TaintedDoughnuts @ Jul 1 2005, 10:04 AM)
I have a friend, "Bob," who isn't quite atheist, since he does believe in God, but he says some awful things about God, such as he despites God, he doesn't like Him, etc.  Now, I'm concerned for my friend's spiritual life, and my question is:  What does a person do or say to commit blasphemy against the holy spirit?  Can my friend still be saved if I change his view of God, or has he already fallen beyond saving?  Any info would be a big help.

View Post

Donut, the "unforgivable sin" is merely the hardening of the heart. The doctrine of eternal security cannot be taken away from justification through faith. Paul blasphemed day in, day out, infact we have God's word that he did (what did he hear first when he was struck by blindness?). The question isn't "if" he can be saved, it's only on how to help him get saved.

Edited by babayagafamiliar, 02 July 2005 - 12:25 AM.

#13    Cendari

Cendari

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 136 posts

• Philosophy is the love of wisdom, the art of wonder, and asking the tough questions.

Posted 02 July 2005 - 12:49 AM

A Jewish man once said, "we can be for God, we can be against God, but we can't be without Him." I love that quote.  

I'm also a fellow believer.  From what I have studied and understand, your friend has to keep rejecting the Holy Spirit.  Not neccessarily yelling or cursing at it.  You see, the Holy Spirit gives us the drive to know Jesus. When a person keeps rejecting that, they are rejecting Jesus. Eventually they don't feel the drive anymore.  I think it's at that point that the Holy Spirit finally gives a person what he/she wants, "Ok you win, I'll give you your wish and I'll go away forever."  

There's not much you can do except pray for him.  It's up to Bob if he accepts or rejects the Holy Spirit.  It's also up to God if your friend is beyond saving or not.

Edited by Cendari, 02 July 2005 - 12:58 AM.

Light accepted brings more light, light rejected deepens the night.  From a fellow philosopher.

#14    TaintedDoughnuts

TaintedDoughnuts

• 1,542 posts

• Moo.

Posted 02 July 2005 - 01:18 AM

Thank you 101, I really appreciate it thumbsup.gif  

babyagafamiliar and Cendari, thanks for your views, and I love that quote!

#15    Ashley-Star*Child

Ashley-Star*Child

Alien Abducter

• 5,015 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 03:43 AM

People that 'hate God' obviously must believe in His existence to 'hate' Him. People 'hate God' for alot of different reasons. Maybe you should ask him what it is that he thinks God has done/hasn't done to cause such hate. There's always a reason behind hate.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users