Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Which came first ?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1    Dang

Dang

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 03:57 AM

Just Wondering. innocent.gif

#2    GIDEON MAGE

GIDEON MAGE

MASTER PSYCHIC

• 3,813 posts

• I ONLY BELIEVE WHAT I PERCEIVE WITH MY OWN PSYCHIC POWERS, OR MAKES LOGICAL SENSE. SHOW ME SOMETHING THAT WORKS AND I'LL AGREE.

Posted 07 July 2005 - 04:05 AM

the church came first.  the n.t. was written by the church around 350.  there were books, but the coiuncils called them, rewrote them as they saw fit, and burned the originals, as they saw fit.  they also burned the library of alexandria to attempt to wipe out all traces of pagan originals of the myths used to compile the n.t.

GIDEON MAGE

Is a shameless act of self-promotion vain, or merely a good, practiical idea? Click here to find out!
http://www.examiner....ew-Age-Examiner

#3    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 24,544 posts

• Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 07 July 2005 - 04:46 AM

The term "church" applies simply to a gathering of believers.  As such, those who gathered and believed in Jesus were in essence a church.  In this way, the church obviously came first.  

I disagree here with Gideon though in that the New Testament was written long before AD 350.  

All the best,

btw, Welcome Dang thumbsup.gif

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#4    Amalgamut

Amalgamut

Government Agent

• 3,535 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 09:50 PM

QUOTE(BFG @ Jul 6 2005, 10:46 PM)
I disagree here with Gideon though in that the New Testament was written long before AD 350. 

View Post

Yes, likewise.

As well as everything else he said.

Why tiptoe quietly through life just to arrive safely at death?

#5    Venomshocker

Venomshocker

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts

• "Everything you are for strengthens you, everything you are against weakens you."

Posted 08 July 2005 - 01:49 AM

the church came first. the n.t. was written by the church around 350. there were books, but the coiuncils called them, rewrote them as they saw fit, and burned the originals, as they saw fit. they also burned the library of alexandria to attempt to wipe out all traces of pagan originals of the myths used to compile the n.t.

Agreed Gideon Mage. It was under constantine and his henchmen that the NT was put together, and the catholic church was formed. History is written by the winners, not by the truth. Constantine and his henchman effectively wiped out and burned anything that contradicted their newly formed religon. They quite literaly had absolute powere by force of the sword, and we all know absolute power corrupts absolutly. wink2.gif  

The early church history of the catholic/christian church is VERY sketchy, and it would be ignorance not to research it better. There are far too many pagan parallels between the NT and pagan religons for it to be merely a conicidence.

I reccomend reading The Jesus Mysteries : Was the "Original Jesus" a Pagan God? and The Pagan Christ : Recovering the Lost Light . thumbsup.gif

Gestalt Reality
"Ultimately there is no such thing as meaning, only experience and creativity."  ~ Pleiadians

#6    isis-999

isis-999

Goddess Of Darkness and Desire

• 5,312 posts

• The Bestowed Eye's of my God, Eye's of my past, lover of my future.. A Thousand's lifes all to live this One...The Steel Circle,

Posted 08 July 2005 - 02:07 AM

The church; that is why they have been able to write the bible to soot them, and what they want you to believe!

Posted Image
THE BESTOWED EYE'S OF MY GOD... GODDESS OF DESIRE....http://paranormalborder.net/index/
Sig By: Arsenik...... My Favorite vampire!!

#7    Dang

Dang

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 02:59 AM

QUOTE(isis-999 @ Jul 8 2005, 03:07 AM)
The church; that is why they have been able to write the bible to soot them, and what they want you to believe!

View Post

That doesn't make sense. Otherwise there would be  no bible verces that conflict with other verces . And I undestand you can write a book about that subject alone.

#8    Dang

Dang

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 03:12 AM

QUOTE(GIDEON MAGE @ Jul 7 2005, 05:05 AM)
the church came first.  the n.t. was written by the church around 350.  there were books, but the coiuncils called them, rewrote them as they saw fit, and burned the originals, as they saw fit.  they also burned the library of alexandria to attempt to wipe out all traces of pagan originals of the myths used to compile the n.t.

View Post

Wow! thats is remarkable. How do they get away with that? I heard at work the other day that around 350 ad that all the bishops had to go to a council and vote which of the churches writing were the least corrupt and trust worthy to bond together and to omit the least trustworthy ones. After much arguing and pickering
they all agreed with what we call the new testament. I also heard you can read the books and writings that were rejected. Just go to barnes and noble and pick up a copy of "the Lost Books Of the Bible" Which is kind of a misleading title because they were never part of the bible and actually never lost. Just not included. I read them. Kinda stupid that the Catholic Church rejected them because most of them are so Pro-Catholic!
But your resources are probably correct , after all what i heard is just gossip at work.

#9    PrayerWarrior

PrayerWarrior

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 06:02 PM

The church came first and the new testament was formed c350 ad. but the actual books/gospels of the nt were written/collected around 20-40 years after Jesus' death and resurrection. Thats still enough time to confuse and exagerate the story of Jesus. Interpreting what is true and what you feel are exagerations is ultimatly up to your faith. I personally feel that whether or not he did the miricals that are listed in the NT is in itself insignificant. The true meaning of the stories is to teach us to grow closer to God and to learn to listen to the Holy Spirit.

oh and as for the "lost books." They weren't left out because the Church felt they were "teaching the wrong lesson" or something like that. They were left out mostly because parts of their story added things that didn't flow with the gospels that were left in. (ie the book of peter tells of how Jesus would model animals out of clay and then bring them to life. it also tells of his teachings in hell where he spent 3days between the crusifiction and resurrection.)

#10    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 21,714 posts

• The giving of love is an education in itself.
    ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Posted 28 July 2005 - 07:49 PM

Gideon and Venom shocker great posts and truthful information  it just has that ring of truth to it I have read so many sources that say the same things you are saying , Its such common knowledge I am always surprised when people don't know about the bible not being a accurate account of history.  Karen Armstrong is a great writter of biblical history for our time,  Namaste Sheri

#11    mako

mako

Poltergeist

• 2,770 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 08:21 PM

but the actual books/gospels of the nt were written/collected around 20-40 years after Jesus' death

Actually, only Paulís letters were written within 20 to 40 years of the supposed time of Jesusí death.  Mark, being the oldest of the Gospels, is considered by most scholars to have been written sometime after 70 CE, Matthew, Luke sometime between 85 Ė 110 CE and John around 117 Ė 125 CE.  The gospels were not even mentioned until around 150 CE and not named until 180 CE.  Since the oldest existing, intact bibles are 4th Century CE (and even then, there are marked differences between them and modern versions), we have no idea what the earliest copies of these books actually said, but with over 200 years to edit and change them, they could have said almost anything.  Even then, we arenít sure of when Jesus was born or really when he died, we only have the word of the NT gospels that it was during the period that Pilate was Prefect of Judea.  It is entirely possible that Irenaeus was correct when he said that Jesus was born before Herod the Great (73 BCE).  If a church father (Irenaeus) living in the second century CE didnít know, the how could we?  wacko.gif

Our earth is degenerate in these latter days.  There are signs that the world is speedily coming to an end.  Bribery and corruption are common,   Children no longer obey their parents.  Every man wants to write a book, and the end of the world evidently is approaching.
                    Assyrian tablet circa 2800 BCE

#12    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 21,714 posts

• The giving of love is an education in itself.
    ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Posted 28 July 2005 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE(mako @ Jul 28 2005, 01:21 PM)
but the actual books/gospels of the nt were written/collected around 20-40 years after Jesus' death

Actually, only Paulís letters were written within 20 to 40 years of the supposed time of Jesusí death.  Mark, being the oldest of the Gospels, is considered by most scholars to have been written sometime after 70 CE, Matthew, Luke sometime between 85 Ė 110 CE and John around 117 Ė 125 CE.  The gospels were not even mentioned until around 150 CE and not named until 180 CE.  Since the oldest existing, intact bibles are 4th Century CE (and even then, there are marked differences between them and modern versions), we have no idea what the earliest copies of these books actually said, but with over 200 years to edit and change them, they could have said almost anything.  Even then, we arenít sure of when Jesus was born or really when he died, we only have the word of the NT gospels that it was during the period that Pilate was Prefect of Judea.  It is entirely possible that Irenaeus was correct when he said that Jesus was born before Herod the Great (73 BCE).  If a church father (Irenaeus) living in the second century CE didnít know, the how could we?  wacko.gif

View Post

Granted the writers of the bible were great writers and great historians but many lived many years after Jesus lived and didn't even know him. Writing things down is a relatively new practice before taht people told of history thru oral storys. Namaste Sheri

#13    PadawanOsswe

PadawanOsswe

Propaganda Advertisement Exec. of the NWO

• 3,324 posts

• Chuck Norris can lead a horse to water and MAKE it drink!

Posted 29 July 2005 - 03:31 AM

in my opinion, the New Testament came first. and then years later The Romans became the dictators of the christian faith and edited the bible (and the faith) to their liking, and destroyed damn near every original books that said otherwise. disgust.gif

The Official 13th Degree of The Steel Circle
Posted Image
May intelligence, rationale, and logic be with you!

Uwe Boll spelled backwards is Satan.

STOP UWE BOLL! BUTCHER OF GAMES!

Proud member of The Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy!

#14    saucy

saucy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

• Peter Piper picked a pack of pickled peppers.

Posted 29 July 2005 - 09:48 PM

Most of the New Testament are letters...not books.  A lot of it was written before AD 60

#15    Something Like Laughter

Something Like Laughter

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

• You want religious fundamentalism? I'll show you religious fundamentalism!

Posted 31 July 2005 - 10:39 PM

QUOTE(Dang @ Jul 6 2005, 10:57 PM)
Just Wondering. innocent.gif

View Post

There were churches before the books of the NT but nothing with the size or orginization that the term "the Church" usually implies.

QUOTE(GIDEON MAGE @ Jul 6 2005, 11:05 PM)
the church came first.  the n.t. was written by the church around 350.  there were books, but the coiuncils called them, rewrote them as they saw fit, and burned the originals, as they saw fit.  they also burned the library of alexandria to attempt to wipe out all traces of pagan originals of the myths used to compile the n.t.

View Post

id ignore most of that. GM is fairly ignorant concerning this issue.
Again GM, I ask you: How are ancient documents dated?

QUOTE(Venomshocker @ Jul 7 2005, 08:49 PM)
I reccomend reading The Jesus Mysteries : Was the "Original Jesus" a Pagan God? and The Pagan Christ : Recovering the Lost Light . thumbsup.gif

View Post

I might recommend something written by actual historians. Freke, Gandy, and Harpur arent.

QUOTE(mako @ Jul 28 2005, 03:21 PM)
Since the oldest existing, intact bibles are 4th Century CE (and even then, there are marked differences between them and modern versions), we have no idea what the earliest copies of these books actually said, but with over 200 years to edit and change them, they could have said almost anything.

View Post

How is manuscript dates a problem?
our earliest manuscripts from Josephus and Tacitus are from the 9th and 10th centuries, and very few seem to have problems accepting most of what they have written. other than screaming CONSPIRACY! there is little reason to doubt the vast majority of what the NT says was there originally. of the places in the text where text critics are unsure of wording, there are only 15 places that make any real difference.

Did you become what you are so that you could hate?
Death to the World!
Orthodox Christian
Minarchist

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users