Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The urban legend of La llorana

NME_locus

This topic was started because of me mentioning something in another thread. I didn't want to go off topic in their thread or hijack it so it now here.

Here it goes......I seriously thought this was a dream or me sleep walking until SANCHERA1978 got my attention because he has heard of an urban legend that matched the discription of my story. Supposedly he said it's called the La llorana.

Here's my version of what happend...(hope I don't get shot down for this or get advise to get medical help) i considered it a dream...but things don't add up.....

have had a weird experience I can't figure out either. I was visiting a friend in Alberquerque, New Mexico. I woke up real late one night at his grandmothers house and needed to smoke a cigarette and I was a guest so I felt strange walking downstairs and outside because I didn't want to look like I was snooping around and didn't want to open the door and set off alarm because I didn't know if there was one. Earlier, we cracked the window upstairs to smoke, which was ok but my buddy didn't want the smell of smoke to linger. So as I went to open the window, I saw something that just paralized me as I felt tingly all over. I heard the rustling of leaves and a little twig snap.There was a lady, she didn't look evil, but it was just eerie to see an old lady around 100 years old at least sitting at the very top of the tree limbs, about 20 feet away and she was staring right back at me. She looked like that lady riding the bike in the movie "in the mouth of madness". There was no way she could have climbed the tree because of her age, and I know the treetop could not have held her weight. I was stunned for about 10 seconds before I backed away. Also, this was about 3 am in the morning. I remembered knocking a few things over when I backed away. It was so real, though I could not tell if I was dreaming or if I was awake. The next morning though, the objects I knocked over were the candle stands on the dresser. I told my friend, and he said it has something to do with a lady that is looking for her baby and GOD is punishing her until she finds her baby that she drowned. There is a similar story so I don't know what the hell's going on.......I don't know if it's anything paranormal, i could have been sleep walking.

Info I got off web on her... ...

La Llorana (la yo-RAH-nah)

This tale dates back centuries and has made its way up from Mexico to as far as New York City. The name is Spanish for "The Weeping Woman". Here is the tale as I originally heard it:

During Spain's colonization of Mexico, a Spanish nobleman fell in love with an Aztec princess. As she was neither Spanish nor Catholic, he never married her, but they maintained a household and had two children together. One evening, he did not come home and she became worried. She sought him out at his parent's house, and found him...in the middle of his wedding reception, with his blushing Spanish bride at his side. In anger and pain, she ran home and grabbed their two children. She took them down to the river, and drowned them. Soon after, she realized what she had done and took her own life. Now, wherever you find water flowing free, you can hear her weeping and crying for her children.

In some areas this legend has merged with the Vanishing Hitchhiker. In Dallas, she is known as the Donkey Lady of White Rock Lake who was hideously deformed and now haunts amorous couples in their cars.

HERE'S THE LINK:

http://www.lonestarspirits.org/investigati...banlegends.html

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NME_locus

• ABOTU

• DarkEntity99

• beast_boy

there's other La Llorana (sp.) threads and other stories of what happened original.gif

there's other La Llorana (sp.) threads and other stories of what happened original.gif

719849[/snapback]

I can't find them...where are they. Can you send me a link that will take me there?

Thanks...sorry if any is upset with me opening a new thread.

Thanks!

Wouldn't this thread get more attention in the paranormal forum?

I think she's scary...

that's a scary story...i mean how could she just be in the trees

i thought she only appeared around water? and streams?

I think she's scary...

that's a scary story...i mean how could she just be in the trees

i thought she only appeared around water? and streams?

720106[/snapback]

I have no idea...I didn't know of her until Sanchera1978 gave me the source. My friend didn't really tell me to much and I was being passive and thought it was a dream..in fact I still don't know. But I can't quite explain the candle stands though. Could it be possible, that during my dream, I was able to focus hard enough to sleep walk, and actually went to the window and though there was nothing there, but in my dream, there was, so it cause me to see it and thought it was real? That that's what caused me to knock over the stands? Did any of that make any since?

By the way Sanchera, thanks, now every damn tree I walk by makes me paranoid. haha

La Llorona (la yo-ROH-nah)... i'm mexican... i would know all about this.... it's completely fake.... and learn to spell it

That is a scary story. I'm mexican too, so I've heard the LLorona story aswell. I remember being scared of her when I was little. Especially at night when I HAD to go to the restroom. The restrooms was across the patio...an open space, no roof...skerry. The walk seemed endless. Although I don't think all the story is fake. If so many have heard this story,there should some truth to it. That's what I think.

This topic was started because of me mentioning something in another thread. I didn't want to go off topic in their thread or hijack it so it now here.

Here it goes......I seriously thought this was a dream or me sleep walking until SANCHERA1978 got my attention because he has heard of an urban legend that matched the discription of my story. Supposedly he said it's called the La llorana.

Here's my version of what happend...(hope I don't get shot down for this or get advise to get medical help) i considered it a dream...but things don't add up.....

have had a weird experience I can't figure out either. I was visiting a friend in Alberquerque, New Mexico. I woke up real late one night at his grandmothers house and needed to smoke a cigarette and I was a guest so I felt strange walking downstairs and outside because I didn't want to look like I was snooping around and didn't want to open the door and set off alarm because I didn't know if there was one. Earlier, we cracked the window upstairs to smoke, which was ok but my buddy didn't want the smell of smoke to linger. So as I went to open the window, I saw something that just paralized me as I felt tingly all over. I heard the rustling of leaves and a little twig snap.There was a lady, she didn't look evil, but it was just eerie to see an old lady around 100 years old at least sitting at the very top of the tree limbs, about 20 feet away and she was staring right back at me. She looked like that lady riding the bike in the movie "in the mouth of madness". There was no way she could have climbed the tree because of her age, and I know the treetop could not have held her weight. I was stunned for about 10 seconds before I backed away. Also, this was about 3 am in the morning. I remembered knocking a few things over when I backed away. It was so real, though I could not tell if I was dreaming or if I was awake. The next morning though, the objects I knocked over were the candle stands on the dresser. I told my friend, and he said it has something to do with a lady that is looking for her baby and GOD is punishing her until she finds her baby that she drowned. There is a similar story so I don't know what the hell's going on.......I don't know if it's anything paranormal, i could have been sleep walking.

Info I got off web on her... ...

La Llorana (la yo-RAH-nah) 

This tale dates back centuries and has made its way up from Mexico to as far as New York City.  The name is Spanish for "The Weeping Woman".  Here is the tale as I originally heard it:

During Spain's colonization of Mexico, a Spanish nobleman fell in love with an Aztec princess.  As she was neither Spanish nor Catholic, he never married her, but they maintained a household and had two children together.  One evening, he did not come home and she became worried.  She sought him out at his parent's house, and found him...in the middle of his wedding reception, with his blushing Spanish bride at his side.  In anger and pain, she ran home and grabbed their two children.  She took them down to the river, and drowned them.  Soon after, she realized what she had done and took her own life.  Now, wherever you find water flowing free, you can hear her weeping and crying for her children.

In some areas this legend has merged with the Vanishing Hitchhiker.  In Dallas, she is known as the Donkey Lady of White Rock Lake who was hideously deformed and now haunts amorous couples in their cars.

HERE'S THE LINK:

http://www.lonestarspirits.org/investigati...banlegends.html

719810[/snapback]

That's what I've heard, she drowned her kids and killed herself, so they can hear her cry everywhere where there's water a river, lake, etc she can be heard and calling her children oohhhh missss hiiiijoooosssss! unsure.gif

for those who don't know what mis hijos means "where are my children", but in a cry.....

Edited by sweet_butterfly