Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

US police pursue girl over rock

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1    Talon

Talon

UM Chess Tournament Champion 2005

• 15,003 posts

• Life, Death, Anime inbetween

Posted 17 July 2005 - 12:43 AM

US police pursue girl over rock
An 11-year-old girl who threw a rock at a group of boys pelting her with water balloons is being prosecuted on serious assault charges in California.
Maribel Cuevas was arrested in April in a police operation which involved three police cars and a helicopter.

She has since spent five days in detention, in which she was granted one 30 minute visit by her parents, and has spent a month under house arrest.

Her lawyer accuses the authorities of criminalising childhood behaviour.

"They're treating her like a violent parole offender," Richard Beshwate said. "It's not a felony, it's an 11-year-old acting like an 11-year-old."

The girl is due back in court at the beginning of next month.

Police say they had to investigate as the boy who was hit by the stone she threw suffered a deep gash to his head and needed hospital treatment.

He has reportedly acknowledged to officers that he started the fight in late April.

'Obligation'

The confrontation happened in a poor district of Fresno, in central California, where Maribel Cuevas lives with her Spanish-speaking family.

The girl, who speaks little English, has admitted throwing a rock at a group of boys she says were pestering her with water balloons as she walked down the street.

An ambulance was called, but arrived flanked by three police patrol vehicles. A helicopter meanwhile hovered overhead.

The 11-year-old was then read her rights twice in English before being detained.

"We responded. We determined a felony assault had taken place and the officers took the actions that were necessary," said Fresno Police Sergeant Anthony Martinez.

Another police officer told ABC News that the girl, when asked what she thought would happen if she threw the rock, replied that it would make him "bleed".

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/worl...cas/4689459.stm

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." -Plato

#2    __Kratos__

__Kratos__

-Staring-

• 25,876 posts

• As darkness falls, night unfolds ebony wings to wrap the world in it's dark embrace.

Posted 17 July 2005 - 12:48 AM

An 11-year-old girl who threw a rock at a group of boys pelting her with water balloons is being prosecuted on serious assault charges in California.
Maribel Cuevas was arrested in April in a police operation which involved three police cars and a helicopter.

Un-bloody-believable....

She threw a rock at them good for her, water ballons can hurt to, when they don't explode and when they do you are still drenched with water.  disgust.gif

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." ~Philip K. Dick

"Passion, peace. Strength, knowledge. Power, serenity. Victory, harmony. Freedom, the Force." ~Ashara Zavros

#3    Talon

Talon

UM Chess Tournament Champion 2005

• 15,003 posts

• Life, Death, Anime inbetween

Posted 17 July 2005 - 12:50 AM

agreed

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." -Plato

#4    arben

arben

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 320 posts

• Well I looked in my moms closet and saw what I was getting for Christmas, an ultravibe pleasure 2000

Posted 17 July 2005 - 01:01 AM

Wouldn't it be nice if the authorities were this persistent in more important cases? dontgetit.gif

Posted Image

#5    V for Vanity

V for Vanity

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 02:55 AM

QUOTE(arben @ Jul 17 2005, 01:01 AM)
Wouldn't it be nice if the authorities were this persistent in more important cases? dontgetit.gif

View Post

My thoughts exactly...

#6    Faeden

Faeden

Psychic Spy

• 2,013 posts

• Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth

Posted 17 July 2005 - 03:04 AM

The only other people i can think that would lock up an 11 year old child are the Nazis. Sick!!!!

What do they think shes going to do, leave the country and seek asylem?

Edited by Faeden, 17 July 2005 - 03:06 AM.

Posted Image

Please visit my forums on the paranormal HERE

#7    Conspiracy

Conspiracy

Poltergeist

• 3,074 posts

• "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein

Posted 17 July 2005 - 12:06 PM

whoa... 3 cop cars and a helicopter to find and track down a 11 year old girl?

my dear god i could have done a better job at catching her on my bike.

Posted Image

#8    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 17 July 2005 - 12:57 PM

Always good to see the Police and Justice system concentrating on real crime...

Posted Image

#9    Thanato

Thanato

Government Agent

• 4,247 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 01:29 PM

isnt it funny, it takes them so long to start an investigation on a murder but if some 11 year old girl acts in self defence she gets hunted down like a dog and arrested, un freaking belivable.

~Thanato

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scrapping will remove the black parts!" ~Caboose

"I will eat your unhappyness!" ~Caboose

"Freedom isn't bought in stores, it is bought on battlefields." ~Thanato

#10    Rhomphaia

Rhomphaia

Psychic Spy

• 1,384 posts

• Conspiracy Theories: The art of adding 2+2 and getting a result of 22.

Posted 17 July 2005 - 01:33 PM

Let me play devil's advocate here for a moment.
No one mentioned the size of the rock, but one of the boys suffered a deep gash to the head, and it could have been a good sized rock as well. If I were a cop and I saw a boy bleeding buckets from his head with a large hunk of stone on the ground, I would play it safe and make the assumption that she was trying to hit him in the head with it to cause grievous harm. THAT would warrant three cars and a helicopter.
Still, that is just speculation however and like I said, I am playing devil's advocate just for the sake of argument.

Edited by Rhomphaia, 17 July 2005 - 01:38 PM.

"We are not here to bend aught...We are come to cleanse."
-Brother Grissom.

#11    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 17 July 2005 - 02:04 PM

I see this as her using reasonable force to protect herself and realistically how big of a stone can an 11 year old throw and with any degree of accuracy.

She was being pelted aby a group of boys and picked the nearest thing to hand to defend herself and I don't think there is any justification in having nearly a full SWAT team after her.

Poor kid is an Easy target for the Law enforcment and they should concentrate on real crime.

Posted Image

#12    Super Pancake

Super Pancake

Bwa Ha HA HA HA

• 4,131 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 02:21 PM

Why are people who defend themselves are getting arrested and bullies are considered victims lately?

Oh and yeah good work by the police on finding a dangerous fugitive.

#13    Rhomphaia

Rhomphaia

Psychic Spy

• 1,384 posts

• Conspiracy Theories: The art of adding 2+2 and getting a result of 22.

Posted 17 July 2005 - 04:04 PM

*Closes his eyes because he knows the crap is going to the fan with this one*
Would all of you be saying the same thing if this were a bunch of girls throwing baloons at a boy who then threw a rock?

"We are not here to bend aught...We are come to cleanse."
-Brother Grissom.

#14    bathory

bathory

Alien Abducter

• 5,302 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 04:14 PM

i do agree that this was an unecessary use of police resources, though its really hard to say if her actions were warranted, if she had walked up and stabbed one of the boys in the chest would we be supporting her? a fair sized rock to the head is more than enough to kill someone, so i dunno its really quite complicated

The girl, who speaks little English

i find this somewhat worrisome too

#15    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

• 6,293 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 04:17 PM

QUOTE(Rhomphaia @ Jul 17 2005, 05:04 PM)
*Closes his eyes because he knows the crap is going to the fan with this one*
Would all of you be saying the same thing if this were a bunch of girls throwing baloons at a boy who then threw a rock?

View Post

You can choose many different scenario's to this like what if they were throwing these at a 90 year old lady with a walking stick. Would it be justified for her to defend herself?

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users