Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Different religions

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#31    Putte

Putte

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 06:43 PM

QUOTE(Sheri berri @ Jul 21 2005, 07:32 PM)
What does "Vengence is mine sayeth the lord" mean to you ??

I'm no English expert. But from what I can tell, it means that people shouldn't go around holding a grudge. If vengeance is to be dealt, God is the one to do it.

Are you actually reading the bible or excepting someone elses interpretaion because if you are reading this yourself I would be curious as to your PERSONAL feelings and opinion on this, Does this seem like the promotion of love and peace to you

View Post

Same answer as before. Vengeance was dealt to people who deserved it (bad people), and God was the one who did it. I don't think someone actually took the time to destroy the crops in Egypt for 7 years just for fun.

What's this "namaste" you keep saying btw? I've seen it before, never really got the hang of it. Trying to be cool?

#32    hyperactive

hyperactive

abu gaia

• 5,691 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 06:44 PM

it does not take religion to be a blind follower.

"He who knows not and knows not he knows not, he is a fool - shun him.
He who knows not and knows he knows not, he is simple - teach him.
He who knows and knows not he knows, he is asleep - awaken him.
He who knows and knows that he knows, he is wise - follow him. "
Arabia

#33    Putte

Putte

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 06:48 PM

bacca, I know what you're saying, and I agree. What we might not agree on is, I guess, the meaning of "religion". The reason those people might think they are doing something in the name of their religion, or their God, is because, like you say, they are taught that way. They are also taught, that what they are taught IS a certain religion, when in fact it's very far from what the creators (if there were any) of that religion had in mind. They are taught a twisted version, of an otherwise nice religion.

I hope you followed what I was trying to say, I almost lost myself there grin2.gif

#34    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 24,795 posts

• "If one is to be thought acceptable and agreeable in society, one must submit to being taught the same lessons over and over again." --Hammer

Posted 21 July 2005 - 06:58 PM

QUOTE(Putte @ Jul 21 2005, 11:43 AM)
QUOTE(Sheri berri @ Jul 21 2005, 07:32 PM)
What does "Vengence is mine sayeth the lord" mean to you ??

I'm no English expert. But from what I can tell, it means that people shouldn't go around holding a grudge. If vengeance is to be dealt, God is the one to do it.

Are you actually reading the bible or excepting someone elses interpretaion because if you are reading this yourself I would be curious as to your PERSONAL feelings and opinion on this, Does this seem like the promotion of love and peace to you

View Post

Same answer as before. Vengeance was dealt to people who deserved it (bad people), and God was the one who did it. I don't think someone actually took the time to destroy the crops in Egypt for 7 years just for fun.

What's this "namaste" you keep saying btw? I've seen it before, never really got the hang of it. Trying to be cool?

View Post

Putte, please don't take anything I say personal against you I'm simply challenging the teachings of religion not you ,  I would agree with your definition of "VEngence is mine ........  The bible sponsors the idea of a vengeful, punishing needy God, A God withLow self esteem Why would the creator  of all things need anything least of all followers??? I was once religious  and I agree with Bacca and Hyper, religion teaches you not how to think for yourself but what to think and the ideas that it sponsors are dangerous,  its obvious in the world. I found that once I started asking questions religion just didn't make sense. Again I have no issue with you. Namaste means the divine in me honors the divine in you. Beautiful Huh???

#35    Putte

Putte

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 07:07 PM

QUOTE(Sheri berri @ Jul 21 2005, 07:58 PM)
Putte, please don't take anything I say personal against you

View Post

Oh, no way. I understand everyone has different opinions regarding just about everything. What a boring world it would be if that wasn't the case, right? And I believe everyone should be allowed to express what they think, even though what I say can come out a bit harsh at times.

I was questioning your thinking, you were questioning mine, that's all there is to it original.gif

And yeah, it's a nice phrase, Namaste wink2.gif

#36    eveningsky339

eveningsky339

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

• "Who made man's mouth? Who made the deaf, the mute, the seeing or the blind? Was it not I?"

Posted 21 July 2005 - 07:14 PM

Read Exodus 32:27, Numbers 25:4-9 Joshua 8:1-30 Joshua 10:10-11 The books of Exodus, leviticus, Deuteronomy, Joshua,Judges,Samuel, Numbers,Amos, Kings Chronicles,Esther and Job have a death toll of 1 million people that were smote by Gods hand, Then there was the 7 year famine that was sent by the lord In Samaria II kings 8:1 I can goe on and on here but you get the point, Are you actually reading the bible or excepting someone elses interpretaion because if you are reading this yourself I would be curious as to your PERSONAL feelings and opinion on this, Does this seem like the promotion of love and peace to you ????? Namaste Sheri

There's a reason it's called the Old Testament.  Might I suggest reading the New?  It explains why God doesn't do such things anymore.

Religion is the reason for wars and conflicts and has always been.
Religion is used as an excuse to do various things "in gods name"(allahs etc)
Different names, same sh*t
Any religion, I think is "good" would be Buddhism.
Im not a religious person, but still think there is something somewhere.
Religion should be personal and not forced on anyone.
It is dangerous to think that you are doing the right thing when for example killing in gods name...
Its like the crazy man killing because the voices in the head tells him to and he is doing humanity a favour.
Different names, same sh*

Religion?  The only cause for war and conflicts?  hmm.gif

You've obviously never heard of marxism...

#37    Sherapy

Sherapy

• 24,795 posts

• "If one is to be thought acceptable and agreeable in society, one must submit to being taught the same lessons over and over again." --Hammer

Posted 21 July 2005 - 09:14 PM

QUOTE(eveningsky339 @ Jul 21 2005, 12:14 PM)
Read Exodus 32:27, Numbers 25:4-9 Joshua 8:1-30 Joshua 10:10-11 The books of Exodus, leviticus, Deuteronomy, Joshua,Judges,Samuel, Numbers,Amos, Kings Chronicles,Esther and Job have a death toll of 1 million people that were smote by Gods hand, Then there was the 7 year famine that was sent by the lord In Samaria II kings 8:1 I can goe on and on here but you get the point, Are you actually reading the bible or excepting someone elses interpretaion because if you are reading this yourself I would be curious as to your PERSONAL feelings and opinion on this, Does this seem like the promotion of love and peace to you ????? Namaste Sheri

There's a reason it's called the Old Testament.  Might I suggest reading the New?  It explains why God doesn't do such things anymore.

Religion is the reason for wars and conflicts and has always been.
Religion is used as an excuse to do various things "in gods name"(allahs etc)
Different names, same sh*t
Any religion, I think is "good" would be Buddhism.
Im not a religious person, but still think there is something somewhere.
Religion should be personal and not forced on anyone.
It is dangerous to think that you are doing the right thing when for example killing in gods name...
Its like the crazy man killing because the voices in the head tells him to and he is doing humanity a favour.
Different names, same sh*

Religion?  The only cause for war and conflicts?  hmm.gif

You've obviously never heard of marxism...

View Post

Isn't this the New testament that says that races must never marry and that Gays are mistakes and  that women are less than, please read 1 Corinthatians 11:4-9 or Ephesians 5:22-24 As stated in the New Testament that every word in the bible is accurate down to the last dotted i,  I'm merely suggesting that many of the teachings of many of the holy books may not be applicable in any civilized society. And that these ideas have been applied in our societys and we have lots of problems,  Read James chapter 4 verse * NT and 1 peter Chap 4 versre 19, this "new God wants his followers to suffer.  You seem to  have this sense of sureness that God did not possibly say these things  and yet I ask why are you defending these beliefs as if trampling on these sacred beliefs is wrong but to trample on each other is permitted In  fact it seems to be a tradition to  trample on each other because of beliefs.,  What do you think?? Namaste sheri

#38    eveningsky339

eveningsky339

Psychic Spy

• 1,017 posts

• "Who made man's mouth? Who made the deaf, the mute, the seeing or the blind? Was it not I?"

Posted 21 July 2005 - 11:30 PM

I believe you have misenterpreted the passages.  

Some of it depends on the translation, for example, New King James and King James versions are fairly inaccurate.  I recommend New International or Message Versions.

#39    LarryOldtimer

LarryOldtimer

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

• In the beginning, there was nothing. God said, "Let there be light." There still was nothing, but you could see it better.

Posted 22 July 2005 - 12:01 AM

Putte:  If you read up on it a bit, you will notice that most, if not all, religion preaches love and peace.

If you really read up on it you will find that most, if not all, religions give lip service to love and peace, all the while stirring up their members to go out and kill the "infidel", with the "infidel" being any who believe differently than they do.  This is, in fact, a capsul history of the world.  The only time religious people aren't out killing people who believe differently is when they are planning and getting ready to do so, or when they are prevented by threat of force from doing so.  If you think, perhaps, that Hitler wasn't using religon to justify killing Jews, or that Muslim clerics aren't using religion to promote suicide bombers, you are sadly mistaken.  But, oh my, it is just too easy to stir up the religious to kill "infidels".  I guess it must be "killing them because they love them".   no.gif

You must be one who believed that the Christians and Muslims in Yugoslavia were getting along so nicely under Tito was because they wanted to.  When Tito died, and the USSR no longer posed a threat to these people, they were soon out killing each other, once again, because of different religious beliefs.  As the Catholics say, "world without end".

#40    Sherapy

Sherapy

• 24,795 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 03:30 AM

This isn't the forum for debate so I'm gonna respect that and the paths of all. Namaste Sheri

#41    Byuu94

Byuu94

Psychic Spy

• 1,441 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 04:27 AM

Evening, you forgot Wicca/Paganism in your post.

I believe that religions were originally peaceful, but poeple saw ways of using them to gain power. Religion later became the laws that transcend normal laws.
If you kill a man, then you are executed. But if you believe in religion, not only do you die, you burn in hell for all time. I just think that when people stopped listening to normal laws, religion was bent to keep people in controll.

If you really read up on it you will find that most, if not all, religions give lip service to love and peace, all the while stirring up their members to go out and kill the "infidel", with the "infidel" being any who believe differently than they do.

Yeah, when was the last time you heard of a Buddhist or a Wiccan go out and kill "infidels"?

If you think, perhaps, that Hitler wasn't using religon to justify killing Jews, or that Muslim clerics aren't using religion to promote suicide bombers, you are sadly mistaken.

Actually, Hitler used evolution as one of the reasons to wipe out the "impure". Hitler also had a falling out with religion, and had his men destroy and burn churches, because they went against his authority. Radical Muslims promote suicide bombers. Radical Muslims are like the KKK here in the states. And how many people do you know that are in the KKK because they are Christian?  disgust.gif

Very few people use religion as an excuse for war.

Posted Image

"I think that people should make up their own minds for me." - Eric Idle

#42    Putte

Putte

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 09:48 AM

QUOTE(LarryOldtimer @ Jul 22 2005, 01:01 AM)
If you think, perhaps, that Hitler wasn't using religon to justify killing Jews, or that Muslim clerics aren't using religion to promote suicide bombers, you are sadly mistaken.

I don't have much to add other than what Byuu94 just stated. And just because some people are using religion as a way to make people do things doesn't mean the religion actually promotes it.

You must be one who believed that the Christians and Muslims in Yugoslavia were getting along so nicely under Tito was because they wanted to.

View Post

One thing I will NOT tolerate is people shoving words or opinions down my throat. Whatever I think about those events, YOU are not to tell me.

QUOTE(Byuu94 @ Jul 22 2005, 05:27 AM)
Radical Muslims are like the KKK here in the states. And how many people do you know that are in the KKK because they are Christian?  disgust.gif

View Post

This was the exact thing a muslim, interviewed on radio here, said about the terrorist acts that have taken place. And how true is it not? How many actually think the KKK are actually christian, except for themselves?

#43    sairam_lfc

sairam_lfc

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 01:43 PM

A Point that cannot be emphasized enough, I don't want to offend anyone. But religions follow common sense, and common sense comes from man. Of course we can debate it, anyday, anytime, but no religion out there is perfect, a big reason why we fight over religions today, and its not perfect for a reason.

Broken Dreams....

#44    bacca

bacca

Puppet master of Vision

• 2,432 posts

• Allasourous
    Jan 2003-Sept 25 2005
    Have a SUPER SPARKLEY DAY

Posted 22 July 2005 - 02:00 PM

I have to agree with you Larry, a lot of people do bad things in the name of religion. That's painfully obvious throughout history. And no matter how much people try to change that, they can't. But I also don't think sugar coating it helps anything either, don't make excuses for sins of the past if you do that no one will ever learn from it, people do bad things it happens. I for one don't like excuses I think people should own up to their own opinions and actions. Everyone is entitled to their own thoughts, I won't stop thinking or speaking for fear of offending someone because they don't agree. I think religion is to blame for a lot of things in this world, or at least the people who use that as an excuse or cause...but who knows, that's just my opinion

Commit random acts of kindness

Careful what you wish for, you just might get it!!!

#45    Lady

Lady

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 02:08 PM

bacca - bad people will do bad things with or without religion, it's just that religion is particularly maleable (with so much of its scripture/ teachings open to interpretation) and makes an easy vessel for corruption and evil.

At the end of the day any movement will eventually turn rotten, just as communism will never work because there will always be someone who believes they are more 'equal' than everyone else, religion will always have its zeaots and will always have those that think it's okay to ignore the basics of being a decent human in the name of some divinity.  thumbsup.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users